Saw starter for weak persons!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I own a 064 that constantly has had problems starting. I have been fiddling with it for a long time and I believe that I have been pulling the rope to try to start it a couple of hundred times. It does not have a decompression valve:( and I wonder whether it is the biggest Stihl existing without a decomp valve. After a while I got tired of pulling, so I made two hooks on a plate, that I stand on, and a two-hand starting handle. OK, let's hear y'all laughing! But it works!

Tom
attachment.php

attachment.php

First off, I sure as hell hope you are NOT putting the bar/chain on a running saw.

Second, many big ole saws can be started without a decomp, and if they are in good tune, two pulls will have them purring.

Here is what I've been told, and it works great:

Pull on the starter handle until you feel the piston at its greatest point of resistance, then let the rope back in, and pull like hell once more. Repeat this procedure, pull to most resistance( piston to top dead center), then let the rope back in, and give it.

I have applied this method to all my equipment and it has really saved my energy, so, try something new.

Good Luck.:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

PS. It sure looks like you take good care of that saw, at least for photo-ops anyway, very nice.

Last edited:
... or just drop-start it, with the bar tip on a log, or a stump, or a pallet stable - or something else that is non-abrasive (chain brake on), if there is a long bar on it......;)

Old News for Old men.

This set up is really good for the senior citizens that refuse to stop cutting wood. I have suggested it to a number of guys who do not have the quick pull strength. Instead of the big stick, you can remove the factory handle and use one of those "D" handles like they use on snowmobiles.

There's a rural legend around here that there is a guy in his 80s or 90s who can't start his saw like he used to so he somehow has it hooked up to a rowing machine. Only a rumor, can't confirm, can't figure out how it would work. Hmmmmm.

I have the saw for you.

12 volt electric start. Monkey ward.. I need to put some fuel in it and see if it even runs.,..Hopefully on the 27th of October it leaves my farm and goes home with someone else.. I have enough crap to trip over here.

This is probably gonna piss people off but if you can't start the saw then you probably shouldn't be running the saw. Either that or you should fix the saw so that it start easier.

Humm . . . . although I have considerable sympathy with what you are saying the first part is a bit like saying, if you can't push start a Mac truck you shouldn't be driving it. Conversely there are folk around that can start big saws but wouldn't be anywhere near safe in doing so. But I agree fully with the second part.

This is probably gonna piss people off but if you can't start the saw then you probably shouldn't be running the saw. Either that or you should fix the saw so that it start easier.

It makes a lot of sense what you are saying but the point for me was that the saw did not start, or only with great difficulty, so while working with all kinds of fixups (change of coil, carb, impulse tube, piston rings, etc, etc) I had to pull this 064 with no decomp valve many times. By the time I get to pull no 20, I have to confess that the pull is getting slower:biggrinbounce2:. My 084 with a decomp valve is a piece of cake compared to the 064. I guess that I will be looking for a 066 instead.

If you have to tug,grunt and jerk that contraption 20 times,it's chronically out of tune.I've got 40 year old McCullochs that don't start that hard.

As for the chainbrake deal,most of mine don't have them,so I don't have to fret about that.:biggrinbounce2:

Back