Saw starter for weak persons!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humm . . . . although I have considerable sympathy with what you are saying the first part is a bit like saying, if you can't push start a Mac truck you shouldn't be driving it. Conversely there are folk around that can start big saws but wouldn't be anywhere near safe in doing so. But I agree fully with the second part.

But a mack truck doesn't require you to stand for long periods of time with moving teeth a foot from your leg. How are you going to brace yourself if it kicks back?

If you have to tug,grunt and jerk that contraption 20 times,it's chronically out of tune.I've got 40 year old McCullochs that don't start that hard.

As for the chainbrake deal,most of mine don't have them,so I don't have to fret about that.:biggrinbounce2:

Not so with an 064.. nasty little thngs.. factory timing way too far advanced for nice starting... I HATE them on a cold mornings - they bite me more than any other saw.

But a mack truck doesn't require you to stand for long periods of time with moving teeth a foot from your leg. How are you going to brace yourself if it kicks back?

True - but in the case of a vehicle it just takes a little longer. If the driver gets tired and zzzz off for a second or two and wanders over to the wrong side of the round for half a second they can do a lot more damage than cutting their leg.

I agree that a certain amount of physical strength is required for safe operation of a big CS (whereas the power assist available on big trucks means strength is less of an issue) and if one is not up to holding any saw safely one should not be using it. The direction I was heading was just because someone has the brawn to start a saw it's no guarantee they know how to use it safely.

from the wisdom of tek9tim: "Buck up, Buttercup!" :laugh:

Had a crew boss that would say that all the time and then laugh his a$$ off... "Whatsamatta rookie? That sidehill too steep? You better buck up buttercup! HAAAAA-HAHAHAHA!"

Gary

Chainbrakes are no good to people who aren't used to them, like me, stay away, they're pretty dangerous when they snag on at the worst time, I hate chainbrakes and always rip the springs and junk out, also the front brake handle I do like, as it's protection in front of the front hand, but the brake system is just a bloody nuisance, it's bizarre if people are getting kickbacks they're not even using the saw properly for krissake, a chainbrake likely won't save their asses for long

I'll make sure to tell that to my friend. He took a kickback about 25 years ago, has a scar that runs from his forehead to his belly button. No chainbreak or front guard. I'm not sure what saw he was running. He was a logger for 15 years before that. BTW, all my chainbrakes work and I test them every time I saw.

The only kickback scars I've seen were on cheeks and chins, never did see one go all the way to the bellybutton though. Cutting branches overhead with a chainbrake is accident country

Chainbrakes are no good to people who aren't used to them, like me, stay away, they're pretty dangerous when they snag on at the worst time, I hate chainbrakes and always rip the springs and junk out, also the front brake handle I do like, as it's protection in front of the front hand, but the brake system is just a bloody nuisance, it's bizarre if people are getting kickbacks they're not even using the saw properly for krissake, a chainbrake likely won't save their asses for long

A chainbrake can avoid a serious kickback accident. I only experienced a serious kickback once with my 038, while trimming a bastard thick hedge. If the chainbrake had not functioned then, God knows how I would have looked today.
Most experienced loggers have experienced kickback in their lifetime, so you are waiting for an accident to happen. But your @ss will be safe of course because you will know how to handle it :jester:

I'm serious, if people are getting kickbacks on that sort of magnitude they're not using their heads, it's over reaction, I've had hundreds of kickbacks, nary a scratch, you get careless you get cut, people should be sticking to safer activities like knitting or crochet..

Do we have a dumbass comment of the year thread? I nominate this nitwit!

It must be more than just too much advance.I just looked it up,064 advance as per factory,26 to 30 BTDC .066,per factory specs ,27.5 to 32.5 BTDC.This Stihl is still a mystery,or so it seems.

From Space "Do we have a dumbass comment of the year thread? I nominate this nitwit!"

From Lake "Bet he doesn't wear seat belts or bike helmets either"

Wrong Lakey, I wear seat belts and always wear a full-face helmet on my XS11;)

For Mr know-all Space - chainsaw operator example one: "It's ok, I've got a magic chainbrake, I can swing and hack my saw any which way, from any stance, unbalanced or otherwise, from any angle or awkward position, it's official, it don't matter, I'm safe, I've got a magic chainbrake, I just can't get cut..."

chainsaw operator two: "I have no chainbrake, as always, I'm gonna be careful.."

chainsaw operator two: "I have no chainbrake, as always, I'm gonna be careful.."

Part of being careful involves not being an idiot.

What you're saying is rather like saying "I'm not going to burn anything, I'm just going to set something on fire."

It must be more than just too much advance.I just looked it up,064 advance as per factory,26 to 30 BTDC .066,per factory specs ,27.5 to 32.5 BTDC.This Stihl is still a mystery,or so it seems.

Wow! Timing can vary as much as 5 degrees? Are those tolerances or is there some sort of adjustment?

Like Romeo said, why couldn't the guy have a compression relief valve installed? Drill,tap,install. I see it done all the time on other guys saw builds without CRV installed.

Part of being careful involves not being an idiot.

What you're saying is rather like saying "I'm not going to burn anything, I'm just going to set something on fire."

You don't know what you're talkin' about matey

Space, a chainsaw with no chainbrake isn't dangerous. Of course if you prefer chainbrakes, use them by all means. Chainbrakes jam on at inopportune moments, injuries other than cuts are far more common, people comment on things they haven't tried because they know no different

Back