Sawhorse advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I know I am probably calling this the wrong thing, but I am planning on constructing a stand to hold smaller pieces of wood while I buck it. I have some ideas in my head for the design, but figured that there are guys on here that have built more than a few in there life. So if you have pictures that would be great, if not some advice on how to build it and what size wood you think it can handle would be really appreciated. Thanks all for the help.

I have built a couple of different "sawhorse type" designs for bucking wood, but I usually use a "loglifter"; Makes the job easy.

loglifter1.png

regards, katt :)

saw horse

This is what your looking for. We used to make'em out of 2 x 4"s in the same design as the picture here. Works great and keeps wood stable and from rolling around. In Newfoundland Canada these are very popular. This one in the picture looks like the cadillac version. Lol.

Doc

This is what your looking for. We used to make'em out of 2 x 4"s in the same design as the picture here. Works great and keeps wood stable and from rolling around. In Newfoundland Canada these are very popular. This one in the picture looks like the cadillac version. Lol.

Doc

I built a 2 by 4 version of this out of scrap 2 by 4s and threw some paint on it and used it for about 15 yrs with great results. If no one shows a pic, I can try to find it (it's in the woods somewhere) and take a shot of it.

Just pay attention to where you screw it together as you will inevitably cut it a bit with the chain. Also figure out what lenghts you are cutting and design the two spacings between the x's (long and short) accordingly. On smaller diameter logs I even put really long pieces on and cut my way back into the sawhorse, switching ends to keep it from falling off.

I built a 2 by 4 version of this out of scrap 2 by 4s and threw some paint on it and used it for about 15 yrs with great results. If no one shows a pic, I can try to find it (it's in the woods somewhere) and take a shot of it.

Just pay attention to where you screw it together as you will inevitably cut it a bit with the chain. Also figure out what lenghts you are cutting and design the two spacings between the x's (long and short) accordingly. On smaller diameter logs I even put really long pieces on and cut my way back into the sawhorse, switching ends to keep it from falling off.

I built a similar version of 2x4 also, and used triangles of scrap plywood on both ends to stiffen it up. I ran the 2x quite a ways above the cross, so that I could put quite a few pieces of smaller logs on and buck them at once. I specced it out for a 20" bar. Ssorry, no pic, it's in AK.

I built a similar version of 2x4 also, and used triangles of scrap plywood on both ends to stiffen it up. I ran the 2x quite a ways above the cross, so that I could put quite a few pieces of smaller logs on and buck them at once. I specced it out for a 20" bar. Ssorry, no pic, it's in AK.

The plywood gussets are a great idea, but if you use the horse in all kinds of rough conditions, I recommend considering leaving enough space below the bottom of the stiffener to be able to set the horse on uneven ground (brush, other rounds, etc.)

I agree with the longish x's as I used to stack up longs as well on the smaller stuff.

Pretty much what I do, but I use about 1 1/2" by 3", and I put up an "X" made of thinner planks, per firewood lenght across it........

...and I use nails, not screws.

Last edited:
I built one years ago for cutting up the smaller branches logs, etc. Made up 5 "U's" from angle iron with about 16" between the 18" uprights. Spaced them out 16" on center on top of two 2X6on edge. It folded up flat and hung under the garage eaves when not being used. Propped it up on a couple blocks or whatever, loaded with whatever would go in, usually at least 4 or 5 limbs/logs, cut midway between the uprights (carefully to avoid hitting the angle irons). Takes a sharp chain to work well but makes a whole bunch of firewood length chunks in one big hurry. Also didn't have that "how do I hold this last short piece to make the last cut?" problem. Nice part is that most of them will stay right there on the 'buck' and can be picked up by the armfuls.

Still have the uprights but haven't remounted them.

Harry K

A couple of thoughts on the sawbuck

The guys here are pointing you in the right direction. I will say again that you should adjust the width so when you cut the last pieces they will be the proper length for what you need. This alone will save you a bunch of time and trouble.

Don't build it up so high that it is difficult to load.
Be careful with cutting the smaller pieces as they will try to climb up the chain when you least expect it.

You might want to take a look at the chainsaw buddy that Bailey's sells. I put one on my back up saw. It keeps the small stuff from climbing the bar, keeps the chain out of the dirt, and best of all you don't have to lift the wood to put it in the cradle. Some folks like them, some don't.

In Newfoundland Canada these are very popular.

I resemble that remark!

This is the only Picture I could find of one that I have.

attachment.php

I made it too low to the ground as I knocked it together using pieces of wood that I had lying around. It should be up higher!

I used to make them from poles I cut, then 2 x 4s, now I have one made from cedar 4x4s someone gave me, scrap from a fencing project. I have three Xs, like some others here, with one long space and one short for cutting those shorter pieces. I've done them with nails, deck screws, etc., but this present one I drilled and doweled with 1" dowels. No chance to hit any steel with the chain. I expected the dowel holes to enlargen with use, dropping logs on it and etc., moving it in and out of my truck bed, but after seven yr., often left outdoors, it is almost as tight as when made. It took me a bit longer to make than the others, which I considered short-life when made, so I've made up for the extra labor. The cedar is light, so the 4x4s aren't too heavy, in fact lighter than the regular 2x4 models I used to use.

I resemble that remark!

This is the only Picture I could find of one that I have.

attachment.php

I made it too low to the ground as I knocked it together using pieces of wood that I had lying around. It should be up higher!

Hey Mikeinparadise, you must be two fish scales shy of three feet to be using that one. Us BAYMEN, use the larger version cause we have longer and bigger wood out-around-da-bay-bye. Lol.

Doc

Hey Mikeinparadise, you must be two fish scales shy of three feet to be using that one. Us BAYMEN, use the larger version cause we have longer and bigger wood out-around-da-bay-bye. Lol.

Doc

Naw....I am a CFA married to the TOWNIE in the picture who dragged me here kicking and screaming!

I would have made it about 10 inches higher. Oh well should wear out in the next 10 years or so and then I can fix it:hmm3grin2orange:

I put three or four small square bale of hay on the ground, in a spaced row, and put the wood on top. The bales are on edge so the twine wont get cut. When the chain cuts through it's not a big deal. Also there are replacement wood "stands" around. It is alittle low to the ground though.

Thanks for all of the responses. I like the log lifter, as well as the stands. The log lifter would be nice when I have help cutting wood and the stand I could set up near my wood shed to cut some of the smaller stuff to length. By the way a where do you get one? I have never seen them in stores around here, and the quick Google I did only came up with one model.

I am having my new Wood Stove (Pacific Energy Pacific) installed on Tuesday and I am pretty excited, but a little disappointed that I have a couple of cords sitting here split and stacked already but not seasoned. So I am planning on buying a pallet of the North Idaho Energy Logs and using them to finish this season. Well thanks again for the help.

Naw....I am a CFA married to the TOWNIE in the picture who dragged me here kicking and screaming!

I would have made it about 10 inches higher. Oh well should wear out in the next 10 years or so and then I can fix it:hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like you got the better of the deal there.Lol.

Doc

Latest posts

Back