Sawing Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys-

My dad has a few Pines in his backyard that need to be taken down. I showed up the other day to knock them out, and as I pulled my 290 from the truck, he said he rented one since it was pine, and didn't want to "gum up" my saw. Then he pulled out the 180 he rented, and insisted that we use that saw.

Any concerns in cutting pine? Dad says the sap is a lot worse and is hard on chains and bars. Thoughts?

PS- Love my dad, but I think that he has lost it... :monkey:

A couple months back I was helping a buddy clear out some trees to help straighten out the end of the drive.

Anyways after about an hour of cutting up some kind of conifers (which I think were pine), my saw was all gummed up with saw dust stuck all over the front, and inside the clutch cover. When I got home it took me almost two hours to clean it up. I can't remember what I used but some kind of chemical / cleaner was needed.

I called my buddy and told him the next time he wanted the weeds cut down we would use his saw only.

I think your Dad was on the right path, I would like to know if I ever have gum up my saw like that again what cleans it off the best???

I cannot comment on Pine sap as we have little to no PIne here.

I am a bit confused though at the renting of a saw to avoid getting yours dirty. If the Pine is going to gum up your saw it will do the same to the rented saw. No matter what you still will need to clean a saw. Around here if you take a tool back to the rental place dirty they will charge you a hefty fee for cleaning.

Bill

Yes pine does get a bunch of sap on your saw, but unless your obsessed with cleanliness I can't see the point in thinking twice about it.

If your worried about keeping things clean go to rite-aid or whatever drug store you have around and grab few $0.99 bottle of rubbing alcohol. it will cut the sap and crud.

rodger

I've cut a little pine, but never really had much trouble cleaning up my saws afterword. Of course, the saws I've used generally already had a thin layer of oil already over the paint. I wonder if that light coat of oil kept the sap from sticking???

Rented a 180? It would probably be cheaper to buy a 180 and sell it after one job!

Up this way, any tree service passing up pine jobs for fear of gumming up a saw would have a hard row to hoe.

I'm assuming that these are on the smallish side not in the path of any structures since the plan was to use a 180 to fell them.

spray a layer of white grease all over the inside of the clutch cover and drive sprocket area before you cut ;)

For Pine Resin I pour some gas mix on some paper towels to clean the saw and me.
I've had the 254xp in this pic caked black nasty from the bar to the handle with Pine resin and dirt, a little gas and some paper towels and its clean in a few minutes. The sooner you clean after cutting the easier it comes off.
The white pines we have in the South pour resin when you cut them. Yellow pine is not quite as bad. Been cutting pines so long I don't give pine resin a second thought.
:cheers:

attachment.php

i've cut around 15 cords this past fall and have yet to see sap on my saw afterwards, turn up the oiler a little and no worries, could be cause i cut 10 cords of dead standing and the other 5 were still live. got them split and waiting for next season, have about another 12 laying in my tree line just off my lawn waiting to be dragged out and cut up, gotta hide it from the FIL or he'll get busy on it, he's 75 and still think's he can hang. lol gotta love him for trying though. sorry got a little carried away there.:cheers:

I know- ran him $30 for the day!!! Should have bought a Wild Thing and thrown it away afterwards...

Not cutting wood with a chainsaw for fear of the mess just seems silly to me :dizzy: :laugh:

That's like buying an oil drain pan and then not using it for the transmission fluid flush you need to do...

i cut pine all day, its all i cut mostly. But its about all my saws see, and i have never had a problem. sure it gets the saw dirty but nothing that wont come off or hurt saw. i cut pine all day long and at the end of the day the saw isnt gummed up so bad i cant use it, its really not a big deal.
most professionals cut pine and fir trees exclusively and their saws run fine after. just cut the trees and be done with it.

Cleanig up a mess!

Hey Guys-

My dad has a few Pines in his backyard that need to be taken down. I showed up the other day to knock them out, and as I pulled my 290 from the truck, he said he rented one since it was pine, and didn't want to "gum up" my saw. Then he pulled out the 180 he rented, and insisted that we use that saw.

Any concerns in cutting pine? Dad says the sap is a lot worse and is hard on chains and bars. Thoughts?

PS- Love my dad, but I think that he has lost it... :monkey:

I use Goo Gone on the plastic and brake cleaner on the metal for my saws. I mostly cut pine, nasty stuff to clean up after! The sap gets ever where and sticks like hell! After cutting a good load of wood(about a cord or so) I have to hit my bar with quite a bit of brake cleaner to get the sap off! Here are some pictures of the mess!

:givebeer:

Back