Sawing Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All we cut here is pine, fir, and spruce... Different species of each, but I've never had a problem. I equate cleanup during cutting, as normal 'saw maintenance' anyway. I've never had a saw get gummed up, or a bar plug on me.

I'd say the two worst we have to cut here (for pitch), are spruce and pi$$ fir. I'll cut spruce all day long... But will avoid pi$$ fir if I can.

JONSEREDFAN6069 wrote:

gotta hide it from the FIL or he'll get busy on it, he's 75 and still think's he can hang. lol gotta love him for trying though.

Truth is some 75 year olds can hang, some can't, some are dead. You never know which one will be you until you get there, or don't.

Once while clearing a lot to build a church we cut down some rather large 180 year old oak trees. Two old guys who lived across the street said they wanted the wood. I was the job super, and it was friday, so I said have at it.

Monday it was all gone for except the stumps and a few small limbs. I didn't ask them how they did it. All I know is they had a lot of good wood piled up across the street.

Cheers

Everybody needs to try lestoil for cleaning sap off !!! You will be very impressed. Even though I have a hard time finding a store that carries it.

When we moved into our present home, there was a 30' spruce the previous geniusowner planted right next to the driveway. Short driveway and no option for one of us to park under the thing. Went through quite a bit of lestoil cleaning off the wife's jeep.

Finally, we had enough. I bought a chainsaw, dropped it, and years later find myself posting on this web site. :cheers:

One of the best things we ever did was to take down that thing. Firstly, the evergreen was blocking a lot of sun and we were losing a lot of free solar heat. Secondly, we shortly thereafter installed our old cookstove which does its part to keep us warm and fed.

to true clay, i wasn't dissin the old guy's he just has two bad knee's and walk's with a stick. tries to run my 7900 and the 670 he can lift it still with no probs but i am afraid he will trip and fall while cutting. also the kick back factor comes into play, with that 7900 wound out and him being on 2 bad wheel's could be askin for trouble.

???????????

:confused:

Its OK to cut pine, really, OK......

I cut lots of pine, I haven't noticed my saw getting gummed up. I gets just as filthy as anything you would cut does.

I guess if your saw is a coffee table piece it might get messy.

... do you think we do out here? Almost everything is pine. So it has a little sap in it. Big deal. Douglas fir can be worse.

-Pat

Substitute D-fir for pine. I don't clean Twinkle that much and Twinkle keeps going. When I change the chain, or work on the chain I'll scrape it out. The saws are made to be used. Back when we cut mostly lodgepole, I can't remember anybody doing anything more than blowing the saw out or wiping it out with a rag. But if you like to clean, go ahead. I've got a whole house that could use a good cleaning too. :)

Everybody needs to try lestoil for cleaning sap off !!! You will be very impressed. Even though I have a hard time finding a store that carries it.

+1, Lestoil is great for cleaning off pine sap and so is turpintine which is a derivative of pine oil. The white pine up here will leave a saw coated with the stickiest mess after cutting even a couple of trees especially in the spring to early summer months. To keep the stuff from sticking to my saws I spray them with a coating of oil such as 10 W 30 or any canned spray setting on the bench, leave the front top and rear handles dry so things don`t get too slippery.
Pioneerguy600

i had a big old fir that gushed several gallons of thick sap all over my saw and lower 1/3. ya it nastied up my saw(372/28'') but never handicapped its performance..

i couldent get to the core of that tree even after gutting the face. Left about 8 inches allmost round of holding wood the middle sticking up. The tree was solid so i was kinda baffled how all that sap came out like it did!

Here in southern New Jersey, Its all pine. I live part of the "Pinelands National Preserve." Sap doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Just give your saw a thorough cleaning afterward, and you should be fine.

I cut mostly pine here, plus some spruce, 'cuz that's what we have.

Only time I see any sap on the saw is if I cut a green one that's blown down or a beetle killed one, lots of those these days. The trees put out extra sap to try to kill off the beetle grubs. I brush on a tiny bit of paint thinner, let it sit, wipe it off. Occasionally, I have to take a putty knife and knock a harder piece off the crankcase. Afterwards, when I've wiped the turpentine off pretty well, I hit it with some Simple Green and rinse. On the bar, I always hafta scrape a little with the putty knife. But it only takes a few minutes to do both sides.

I cut pulp wood for alittle over 5 years 3to4 cords a day 5 days a week,it was red or norway pine and never had a problem with sap on the saw.The problem I had was sap on my gloves and clothes from handleing them,had to pile all of them so the boss could come by and pick them up with the skidder.:givebeer: :chainsaw:

Like the others said- its no problem cutting Pine. We just cut some white pine trees (17 total)down that were 50" plus in diameter. And yes, alot of sap does run out- getting on your clothes is the pain!

Also=Id keep it quiet around your buddies that you were worried about getting your saw dirty- its a chainsaw-its suppose to get DIRTY!

Last edited:
All we cut here is pine, fir, and spruce... Different species of each, but I've never had a problem. I equate cleanup during cutting, as normal 'saw maintenance' anyway. I've never had a saw get gummed up, or a bar plug on me.

I'd say the two worst we have to cut here (for pitch), are spruce and pi$$ fir. I'll cut spruce all day long... But will avoid pi$$ fir if I can.

whats the matter dont like the smell of cat p!$$ while your cutting? come one.

like i said ive cut pine lots of times before and never had a saw gum up bad, especially for one tree you will be fine.

I don't cut much Pine, really.:laugh:
Other than scraping out the clutch cover, and bar, and an ocasional "blow job" with the air compressor I haven't "cleaned" my saw's since this little job back in June. Just throw em in the back of the truck, nature will wash them.

Put a little Coca-Cola on the sap on your clothes before you wash them.

JonesSchmidtJob030.jpg

Andy

Not cutting wood with a chainsaw for fear of the mess just seems silly to me :dizzy: :laugh:

That's like buying an oil drain pan and then not using it for the transmission fluid flush you need to do...
I have to agree! I cut what to me is the nastiest tree around-blackjack-I hate cutting it because it just seems so dirty to me but thats what a saw is for, just my 2(sure it's worth what you paid for it)-dave-

There's pines around the house we're trimming and cutting on it seems all the time. Never had any problems that an air compressor and a wipe with WD-40 wouldn't take care of.

Dan

I don't cut much Pine, really.:laugh:
Other than scraping out the clutch cover, and bar, and an ocasional "blow job" with the air compressor I haven't "cleaned" my saw's since this little job back in June. Just throw em in the back of the truck, nature will wash them.

Put a little Coca-Cola on the sap on your clothes before you wash them.

JonesSchmidtJob030.jpg

Andy

HA, I knew it !!! :laugh:

The Cocacola must be to get the taste out. Try not to get lock jaw on the 3120.

Latest posts

Back