Saws that surprised you...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think so. Stihl guys rave about the 036 Pro but I wonder how much real world difference there is between the two. Pro has compression release but who uses one on a saw that size? Adjustable oiler on the Pro of course. I don't know if the 034 Super/036 has one.

Edit: The handle sticker on my 036 Pro says 62cc and I've seen the 036 listed at 61.5. Maybe no bore difference?

When I started clearing for power lines I believed that the only saws worth carrying were Stihl's based on firefighting experience, Husqvarna based on some firewood cutting and Jonsered based on my dads saws. All the company owned was Shindaiwa, which I thought little of because I didn't know anything about them. I now have respect for the 488's and 377's but the 757 is a beast. A torquey beast. I would hate to have to carry the thing far, or, far from a gas jug. Man does it pull a 24 inch bar though. We can't find them anymore now and we are buying other new machines but I enjoyed the 757 while it lasted.

I haven't run a lot of saws, but I think by far the most impressive saw I've run is a Homelite Super2. Granted you guys are all talking about big saws and I know this thing is no powerhouse, but it's been through hell and it's older than dirt but it still starts easy and cuts anything. It's main use was cutting roots for ditch work in the woods, I used it when I started selling firewood this winter as my primary saw. I recently upgraded to a 562 Husky, and I can't believe I cut a lot of the same size wood with the little Homelite. It's pretty close to the bottom for power, but it's up there in reliability. Definitely impressive in it's own right.

My little husky 350 with a/m 346xp p&c surprises me usually.
Wouldn't use it to cut big stuff all day long, but it pulls its weight alright.

I own stihls and sell the rest. Saw that surprised me the most was a poulan 3000 I sold. What a little ripper. Great throttle response and loved rpms. Yes I said it, a poulan surprised me.

The older top handle Poulan micro 25 and McCulloch eager beaver are very impressive saws when they're tuned right but are not fun to work on.
I think the most impressive stock saw I've ran is a shindaiwa 352s. It's right there with a 200t.

The MS441C-M really surprised me when it first came on the market. I mean, it had so much more manhood than the 044 and 440s we were running at the time, I could feel my hands at the end of the day, and the air filter didn't have to be knocked out at the end of the day.

I'm still not a fan of the 500 series Husqvarna saws other than the 576. The 575 blew, I hate 60cc saws, and I like the 346 better than the 550.

a bone stock husqvarna 545 wow what a screamer for only 50cc.
the echo 590 surprised me after a muffler mod.

One of the quietest running saws ever is a Husky 65.. OK, so they didn't make a whole lot of power either, but they lasted a long time... Now after I butchered most parts of one, it's not at all quiet anymore, and makes pretty impressive power... I'd say close to double what it used to. Most stock saws I've run haven't impressed me.. I may have been satisfied, but not impressed.

a bone stock husqvarna 545 wow what a screamer for only 50cc.
the echo 590 surprised me after a muffler mod.
On the 545. I agree the power was ok but it was reliable and very smooth. I almost bought one but. I have a few saws.

I think the saws that have surprised me most are the ones that were in the overrated saw thread. :surprised3:

A bone stock 346XP NE is a turd in my opinion. My NE 346 ported by Dan Henry is the most impressive saw I own.

I'll bet you didn't have that opinion until you got your 346 back from Dan! Funny, I feel the same way now about my stock one!

Most impressive for me... Dan's own 2171. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I really don't know how this thing stays together!

The older top handle Poulan micro 25 and McCulloch eager beaver are very impressive saws when they're tuned right but are not fun to work on.
Most surprising homeowner saw I ever used was a 2.0 Eager Beaver. Bugger just ran regardless of conditions. Always started by the second pull, even in sub zero temps.
I ended up giving it to a guy in the city, and he's still using it.

The effortless way my, other then MMed, stock Dolmar PS-7900 pulled the 36"/3\8"/115DL setup BURIED in a dry walnut root ball!:surprised3:
I was afraid the 36" setup would be asking to much from the PS-7900 - well, it wasn't! :chainsaw:

Can't comment on disappointing saws at this point.

Latest posts

Back