Saws thrown away.:cry:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

This is an original surviving 1450 that has cut quite a bit of wood in its day, cleared 14 acres with it the first year and 18-20 in the next two years but is used just for fun cutting nowadays , it will keep up with my buddies Husky 61 and that is a very fine running saw that I found for him.
Pioneerguy600

Just got another free saw, this one is an older 041 AV that runs but will need a carb overhaul, kit and cleaning. Real good comp at 165 lbs cold on an accurate comp tester. The muffler is a little rough looking but the rest is at least fair. Starts real easy, just a couple pulls cold and one once warmed. I have absolutely no use for this saw but that goes for 40-50 other saws I have. LOL
PIONEERGUY600

Some guys have all the luck...

So was at the local saw shop, getting a part. And I asked what they did with the saws they didn't fix and didn't want anymore. He said they air mail them into the dumpster out back. I then asked if they would give some of them to me if I wanted. He said no.:cry: :cry: :cry:

What a god dam waste.

Bottom line, P, you just weren't talking his language. He's trying to feed his family and you need to appeal to THAT side of him. You need to:

Promise you won't sell any locally.. ebay them. If you're fixing them and selling them in town, you're his competition.

Make him an offer. Pay him $10 per saw, $25 for huskies and Stihls.. or something similar....negotiate. If you make him a legitimate business proposition that works for him too, he'll listen. If he doesn't bite.... he's an idiot or he really ISN'T listening. There's usually something you can do about the second case.

It IS a waste, but he's trying to make sure he stays gainfully employed. Just make it so there's a financial advantage for him in providing you saws.

You might even try walking in there and say something like, "I have a chainsaw collection...... I'd like to make it worth your while to sell me some chainsaws... what would you say about 25$/saw?" It would relieve him of his worry that you're the competition, you're asking HIM to think of a way that he might sell you some, and as soon as he knows you want to PAY for them, it's a whole new ballgame.

If you don't want to pay... well, you're never going to motivate him. When you get something for nothing, it's a crappy deal for him. Remember, it's HIS resource. He can do whatever he want's with it... which, if you do your part, could include selling it to you!

Last edited:
Bottom line, P, you just weren't talking his language. He's trying to feed his family and you need to appeal to THAT side of him. You need to:

Promise you won't sell any locally.. ebay them. If you're fixing them and selling them in town, you're his competition.

Make him an offer. Pay him $10 per saw, $25 for huskies and Stihls.. or something similar....negotiate. If you make him a legitimate business proposition that works for him too, he'll listen. If he doesn't bite.... he's an idiot or he really ISN'T listening. There's usually something you can do about the second case.

It IS a waste, but he's trying to make sure he stays gainfully employed. Just make it so there's a financial advantage for him in providing you saws.

You might even try walking in there and say something like, "I have a chainsaw collection...... I'd like to make it worth your while to sell me some chainsaws... what would you say about 25$/saw?" It would relieve him of his worry that you're the competition, you're asking HIM to think of a way that he might sell you some, and as soon as he knows you want to PAY for them, it's a whole new ballgame.

If you don't want to pay... well, you're never going to motivate him. When you get something for nothing, it's a crappy deal for him. Remember, it's HIS resource. He can do whatever he want's with it... which, if you do your part, could include selling it to you!

Point taken, but I don't totally agree. I've bought lots of parts and some new saws from them. It wouldn't hurt them to give me a few saws that are going in the garbage anyway. And I never asked for them for free.

Back