Saws thrown away.:cry:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
I don`t have to drive to the dealers and repair shops anymore,I find saws sitting on my doorstep/deck or get stopped on the road/highway and there is saws looking for a new home. They all need some work and some need a part or so but I have 12 more saws than I had two months back.There are 7 Jonsereds, 3 Stihl 026`s and 2 Sachs Dolmar 116 SI saws to keep me busy for a couple months.
Pioneerguy600

Yes. I agree there too. I'm getting there, not quite like you yet. This is how I just got the free 394 and 395. I'm slowly getting my name out there for fixing saws.

scootr

scootr

ArboristSite Guru
I have been working on this one little older lady, her hubby retired. They won't sell the dead saws to anyone but the scrap dealer. I buy a lot of parts from them, they did sell me 1 MS290 for 20.00 bucks.

I have reasoned with her grandson who works there. I tell him, I will give 20 times what the scrapper will, I will buy my parts from you, and I sell my saws out of state. It's a win-win, she still says no. I will keep working on her til she says yes, I hope.

I am out of work now, construction has taken a big dump here. If anyone wants to get rid of some dead saws, PM me, I want to work. I will give ya what I can for them. These dealers must have some reason we are not thinking of for not selling dead saws.

stihl only

stihl only

ArboristSite Operative
I must be a pack rat because I don't toss saws away. There are times when I can offer a good used part and that may be the difference between a customer getting a repair job done, and not bothering with the repair.

Saw repair has to be a profit center for a dealer but it is also one area where I can gain a lot of customers.

I look at it this way. With saws like the MS170 needing fixed, how far can you go before it is better to just buy a new saw?? I have one here that was run on straight gas so it's never getting fixed but there are a lot of good and expensive parts on it that can be used to make another repair more reasonable.

Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
Don't forget the reverse approach: make friends with landfill workers!

A friend of mine bought 8 acres from a landfill worker, who kept the 2 acres at the top of the hill for himself. He'd bring old tires, whatever, home from the dump and roll them down the hill behind my friend's shed.
All was well and good, until after the landfill worker was retired and he sic'd the planning commission on my friend while my friend was away on summer vacation (high school history teacher off touring civil war battlefields).
By the time my friend got home, the planning nazis were pissed at being 'ignored', and had gotten an arrest warrant on my friend for fraudulent felony charges of running an unlicensed dump.

There was a lot of good came out of that relationship in earlier years, dump trucks full of scrap steel and batteries that were sold for a profit, and other neat stuff, but getting an arrest record because somebody put junk on your property and then reported you for having the junk isn't fun at all.

Zackman1801

Zackman1801

ArboristSite Guru
man there really are some lowlifes out there ^

i dont see why dealers would not want to sell old used saws to you. they would make more money on you buying the saws from them, and then there is the chance you would buy parts from them. they might loose sales from buying new equipment but only minimally, not that many people take old junk saws, and 1 person isnt going to make or break a business by not buying new saws.

Magellan

Magellan

ArboristSite Member
Maybe in Texas... Definitely not true for the US
That one gave me a chuckle, especially given what most Californians I've known thought of Texas and her Texans. :cheers:

I guess I had my head up my ass, since I wasn't thinking about the dumpster being on private property. Stuff on curbside is public domain, though.

It takes a little time, but if you get your name out there as a collector/fixer, like pioneerguy was saying, stuff starts coming to you. A friend of the family used to flip washers and dryers, and made pretty brisk side-business out of it. He saved enough from doing that to put his two daughters through college, in fact. He had a collection of large chainsaws that he fixed for fun. He somehow got his hands on an old US Army chainsaw. Built like a tank, painted olive drab (so you're hidden from Charlie I reckon) and louder than ####. I really wish we'd gotten that one from him.

Last edited:
cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
One of the local dealers told me that most folks take their saws with them even after deciding that they are not worth fixing, but that if anyone did leave one behind he would let me know.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Just got another free saw, this one is an older 041 AV that runs but will need a carb overhaul, kit and cleaning. Real good comp at 165 lbs cold on an accurate comp tester. The muffler is a little rough looking but the rest is at least fair. Starts real easy, just a couple pulls cold and one once warmed. I have absolutely no use for this saw but that goes for 40-50 other saws I have. LOL
PIONEERGUY600

cjcocn

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Just got another free saw, this one is an older 041 AV that runs but will need a carb overhaul, kit and cleaning. Real good comp at 165 lbs cold on an accurate comp tester. The muffler is a little rough looking but the rest is at least fair. Starts real easy, just a couple pulls cold and one once warmed. I have absolutely no use for this saw but that goes for 40-50 other saws I have. LOL
PIONEERGUY600

It's really too bad that they went and put Nova Scotia so far away from Manitoba. :D

PS ... congrats on the nice grab! :cheers:

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the US, anything thrown out is fair game. Don't know what it's like in Canada. I'd just be sneaksy and have meself a gander. :)

It kinda depends. If a place puts up a sign saying to keep out of their scrap or garbage bins, then it's theft. If it isn't posted, try your luck, or if it's within the road allowance, it's fair game. I also know that when something is returned defective to a store and is under warranty, quite often the manufacturer will simply issue a D.I.F. (Destroy In Field) order instead of paying to have the item shipped all the way back and repaired. If that is the case the store can be held liable for the value of the item if it is not destroyed. It sucks because it seems more often than not, returned items are just fine and it was a problem with the customer after all. At least, such was the case when I worked at Staples. Since I was sometimes the one doing the destroying, I managed to score a few computer parts that were perfectly fine. One case that really ticked me off was at one of the local wood heating shops. They had a huge stack of perfectly good (in appearance, anyway) nice wood stoves sitting out beside their scrap bin, so I went in and asked what the deal was, and if they were free for the taking since there was no sign. Apparently they're units that the store has removed when they do energy-efficiency upgrades in houses, which the government gives a grant for. But the grant requires the destruction of the removed unit.

Unfortunately the dealer here tears down every busted saw that people leave there and keep the parts. They have boxes and boxes of parts even for old models, which they generally sell for half the price of new parts, or less depending on condition. I've also had a couple saws pretty much given to me as fixer-uppers, and if work keeps slowing down I'll probably try getting my name out there for doing a bit of saw work over the winter. Or I might talk to the old guy I get parts from to see if he'd like some help - last time I was there he had a week's work backed up on his shop floor.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
It's really too bad that they went and put Nova Scotia so far away from Manitoba. :D

PS ... congrats on the nice grab! :cheers:

Don`t have much use for the powerhead but the near new 20 " bar and chain will work good on the latest 044 that is nearing completion. I was casting around looking for a bar and chain and the powerhead came attached, may have to do a tune up or minor repair work in the future for payback but was told by the owner that he will never own a chainsaw over 50 cc again as he is getting too old to handle them and does not burn wood anylonger.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
It kinda depends. If a place puts up a sign saying to keep out of their scrap or garbage bins, then it's theft. If it isn't posted, try your luck, or if it's within the road allowance, it's fair game. I also know that when something is returned defective to a store and is under warranty, quite often the manufacturer will simply issue a D.I.F. (Destroy In Field) order instead of paying to have the item shipped all the way back and repaired. If that is the case the store can be held liable for the value of the item if it is not destroyed. It sucks because it seems more often than not, returned items are just fine and it was a problem with the customer after all. At least, such was the case when I worked at Staples. Since I was sometimes the one doing the destroying, I managed to score a few computer parts that were perfectly fine. One case that really ticked me off was at one of the local wood heating shops. They had a huge stack of perfectly good (in appearance, anyway) nice wood stoves sitting out beside their scrap bin, so I went in and asked what the deal was, and if they were free for the taking since there was no sign. Apparently they're units that the store has removed when they do energy-efficiency upgrades in houses, which the government gives a grant for. But the grant requires the destruction of the removed unit.

Unfortunately the dealer here tears down every busted saw that people leave there and keep the parts. They have boxes and boxes of parts even for old models, which they generally sell for half the price of new parts, or less depending on condition. I've also had a couple saws pretty much given to me as fixer-uppers, and if work keeps slowing down I'll probably try getting my name out there for doing a bit of saw work over the winter. Or I might talk to the old guy I get parts from to see if he'd like some help - last time I was there he had a week's work backed up on his shop floor.

Sorry to see that your 1450 went to the parts heap, mine is still out there cutting up a storm, cut a couple cords up with it this fall and also cut two truck loads down and blocked up with my favorite 600.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

You may be able to pick the 1450 out in these picts , its in the right side upper level, these ones were out sunning themselves as they are cold blooded. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry to see that your 1450 went to the parts heap, mine is still out there cutting up a storm, cut a couple cords up with it this fall and also cut two truck loads down and blocked up with my favorite 600.
Pioneerguy600

Well, it didn't go to a heap or anything. I just traded it for some parts for other saws, so it's sitting more or less complete on a shelf next to some siblings and cousins. I just didn't have the time and patience to get it running properly, and it wasn't a saw i ever planned to really use, so it was worth more to trade it away.

PS - yours looks like a brighter green rather than the yellow that mine was. Aftermarket paint? Or is it a near-end-of-run model? Mine was very early I think.

Last edited:
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
This saw is all original except the new NOS primer I installed, I bought it new in 1967 to cut a 14 acre piece of woodland that my father and I bought to cut lumber and pulp from. It ran very well for the first 3 years and I took it back to the dealer to get it tuned up and they did a carb rebuild on it and fubared it up so bad that it never ran properly until a year ago I found a new primer pump for it and figured out how to tune and set up the carb properly and it came back to life, it couldn`t run any better.
Pioneerguy600