Saws,Truck & Firewood Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really trying to stir anything up here, but I suppose it will. Why is it everyone here insists on bigger/faster/sharper "right tool for the job" thinking on chainsaws yet think nothing of using trucks/trailers WAY beyond safe or intended duty? No I'm not preaching, I grew up a farm kid, do it myself. Just seems to be a big disconnect in reasoning.

The reason for me is economics, this trip was 230 miles:jawdrop: The more I can put on the cheaper the trip is. If I get a bigger truck and a bigger trailer....Guess what, I am just going to load it that much more:clap:

I am not picking on you at all! That gets me thinking...Maybe I should have bought that 20 ft trailer with 2 7500lb axles..LOL.

I'm not really trying to stir anything up here, but I suppose it will. Why is it everyone here insists on bigger/faster/sharper "right tool for the job" thinking on chainsaws yet think nothing of using trucks/trailers WAY beyond safe or intended duty? No I'm not preaching, I grew up a farm kid, do it myself. Just seems to be a big disconnect in reasoning.

Well I can tell you my reason. You would know this too growing up on a farm. Get it doen with what you got in the short time you have to do it in. I did have a F350 ford with a 11' flat bed at one time. That thing had guts like you would not beleive. Due to wisconsin nice winters the frame rusted out on the old thing. The last trip I hauled with it I pulled a 27 ' gooseneck cattle trailer. I had 15 head of750 lbs heifers on it. Yeap just a bit of a load. But, on that day we had bad weather coming in and would have had to wait till it dryed up again to get to the loading area.So it was just to get it done job.
Bob

I just hauled home a single 1.5 cord load of red alder on Saturday. I used my flatbed carhauler style trailer with some sides that I put together using the stake pockets on the trailer. I am deathly afraid of one of the 3 foot long rounds coming off of the trailer and smashing some other car on the way home. So I underload. The trailer is a 10.4k GVWR model so it has more capacity.

Do you folks have any lessons on log load binding as related to firewood rounds? Any stories of these loads falling off on the way home? I would never just throw my saw up on the pile.

I just hauled home a single 1.5 cord load of red alder on Saturday. I used my flatbed carhauler style trailer with some sides that I put together using the stake pockets on the trailer. I am deathly afraid of one of the 3 foot long rounds coming off of the trailer and smashing some other car on the way home. So I underload. The trailer is a 10.4k GVWR model so it has more capacity.

Do you folks have any lessons on log load binding as related to firewood rounds? Any stories of these loads falling off on the way home? I would never just throw my saw up on the pile.

That is one thing I did correctly as I am scared of that! My trailer is a car hauler type but has 1 ft sides. I loaded monster rounds on bottom then pyramid to the top then put in outside slabs (I get my wood at a pallet factory) 1/2 way up. I used 2 3k ratchet straps, then used 4 1k ratchet straps, drove to the highway and retightened then hit the highway and check after 10 miles and all tight.

Wish I had a 10,000 lb trailer:cry:

P.S. I am thinking of making a bench out of one of those slabs.

I love my trailer. Bought for hauling the 4500lb tractor but needs to earn its keep by hauling whatever I come up with.

Here's the naked trailer next to 5 cords of cottonwood that is about half gone now.

The second photo is 4.3 cords of doug fir ready to be stacked.

All cut with my trusty neon green Poulan that needs to be upgraded.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you my reason. You would know this too growing up on a farm. Get it doen with what you got in the short time you have to do it in. I did have a F350 ford with a 11' flat bed at one time. That thing had guts like you would not beleive. Due to wisconsin nice winters the frame rusted out on the old thing. The last trip I hauled with it I pulled a 27 ' gooseneck cattle trailer. I had 15 head of750 lbs heifers on it. Yeap just a bit of a load. But, on that day we had bad weather coming in and would have had to wait till it dryed up again to get to the loading area.So it was just to get it done job.
Bob

Yes, I understand "get it done with what you've got". However the time argument fails here. Overloading vehicles/trailers means you have to drive slow, use back roads etc.. Yet saving time and wear and tear is the main argument for the bigger/faster saw, same applies here. The ONLY justification I've seen as stated earlier is money.

Hahaha. Reasoning? What does reasoning have to do with anything in this thread?:laugh:
Really though, every one knows one key to hauling a load is never get in a hurry. Slower? Well I don't know, if you're hauling 5 loads a day with 1/2 cord a load, and I am only hauling 3......But my loads are 1 full cord..........at the end of the week who has moved the most wood?

Andy

I'm not sure if I have these posted up somewhere else, but here is our rig with about 60 6"x6' yellow pine posts. Grossed 14,210, made some noise going out of the place too, gotta love that cummins power, especially through a 6" tip.

050207_19292.jpg

050207_19291.jpg

What mods do you guys have done to your rigs?

Hahaha. Reasoning? What does reasoning have to do with anything in this thread?:laugh:
Really though, every one knows one key to hauling a load is never get in a hurry. Slower? Well I don't know, if you're hauling 5 loads a day with 1/2 cord a load, and I am only hauling 3......But my loads are 1 full cord..........at the end of the week who has moved the most wood?

Andy
If you're making 5 cuts with your 15" bar on your Poulan Pro and I'm only making 3 but my bar is 30"........at the end of the day, who has cut the most wood? :)

Yes, I understand "get it done with what you've got". However the time argument fails here. Overloading vehicles/trailers means you have to drive slow, use back roads etc.. Yet saving time and wear and tear is the main argument for the bigger/faster saw, same applies here. The ONLY justification I've seen as stated earlier is money.

Well welcome to rural wisconsin. Most of my hauling and driveing is on backroads. The load of wood in the pic just came rigth down the road from me. Before the land was sold off I drove the 4 wheeler down the road to the pasture to get the cows. The load of cattle I talked about was 15 mile away all but the last 2 was cty rds. Not to worried about cty cops on them rds. Here in WI its when you travel the main hwys you worry about the state police and the DOT. I hardly ever get a chanc eto haul big loads on main rds. I run a combine GVW plates of 20,000 truck and 18 ft trailer. Wuth the cattle trailer I was at 30,000 gvw. I am not worried about the weights and plates its the little things the DOT gets you for.
My justifaction for the 2 saws I use is I bought them with the money I saved by switching to burning wood from LP. I wanted new saws so when I needed to cut I knew I had a saw that was not going to give me trouble.
Bob

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that DOT was for commercial vehicles only. It is a big ordeal where I live because you can drive a dully pulling a 44 ft trailer over loaded with any farm equipment you want with your normal liscence but have to have a CDL to drive a 10" box truck that delivers bread. The comercial drivers get real mad at us farmers for that reason. Some state cops do not realize that either, I have been chased down and ordered over the scales by troopers that do not understand the difference in CDL and private or farm vehicles

That, my friend, is why they are cops and not lawyers. (But, we won't go there any further):hmm3grin2orange:

Another load in Wisconsin

My 2 brothers and I hauled home quite a few of these this winter.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Its oak that had died from oak wilt.
How many cord on this load.The box alone is 10 foot long + about a 3 foot tailgate:monkey:

My 2 brothers and I hauled home quite a few of these this winter.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Its oak that had died from oak wilt.
How many cord on this load.The box alone is 10 foot long + about a 3 foot tailgate:monkey:

I had a truck like this for a couple of years, but it got to expensive to keep registration and insurance on it. Loved the truck.

I'm not sure if I have these posted up somewhere else, but here is our rig with about 60 6"x6' yellow pine posts. Grossed 14,210, made some noise going out of the place too, gotta love that cummins power, especially through a 6" tip.

050207_19292.jpg

050207_19291.jpg

What mods do you guys have done to your rigs?

Nice truck. 14,210 gross, thats impressive. Diesel pickups are amazing.

Here is my rig.

1983 gmc c30 with a 6.2l diesel. about 12 leaf springs (I have yet to get it to squat). I bought it in new mexico and built the body myself, It was a tow truck. I have my ford 2n on a trailer and just starts to move, but no wood load has made her sag anything noticeable. Kinda scary if you get to thinking about it. That just means something else will have to give.

MVC-002S-1.jpg

MVC-001S-1.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

Here is the old tired 85 we use hauling out of the woods and trails. She is very tired.

MVC-043S.jpg

MVC-046S.jpg

MVC-044S.jpg

Last edited:
You all ought to see how these rednecks that sell firewood here loads a turck up. Tailpipe is dragging and blocks of wood between frame and differential so tires do not scrub on fender wells etc......They would have fit considerably more wood on a pickup than posted. There is at least another 600-800 pounds available if its loaded above the cab......who says you can not fit a full cord of oak or hickory on a 1/2 ton pickup truck and still do 70 on the interstate!:dizzy:

You all ought to see how these rednecks that sell firewood here loads a turck up. Tailpipe is dragging and blocks of wood between frame and differential so tires do not scrub on fender wells etc......They would have fit considerably more wood on a pickup than posted. There is at least another 600-800 pounds available if its loaded above the cab......who says you can not fit a full cord of oak or hickory on a 1/2 ton pickup truck and still do 70 on the interstate!:dizzy:

They must load a truck like these fellows:jawdrop:

attachment.php

We all have alittle Redneck in us! If you so no, you just have not found it yet...LMAO

Doug

Latest posts

Back