Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmersfirewood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me a pretty fair comparision of the different brands of saws. I have run stihl and husky saws and know they are both good saws. Dolmar and Echo are both a mystery to me though

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28136

IMHO Dolmar's latest saws are better then Stihl and Husky but their dealer network hasn't got to critical mass yet.

Echo shines when it comes to the small stuff like arborist saws, trimmer, etc. However their Pro chainsaws aren't near as popular as the other brands.

It's all a tradeoff. Pick the factors most important to you. Their isn't a universal "best".

When you consider the saws you mentioned, it just becomes a matter of what feels good, what the dealer support is, what you want to do with the saw, etc. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Echo and I am sure a host of others will perform for their intended purpose. I have run the above mentioned saws and own or have owned Stihl and Echo. I know that Huskies are great saws and Dolmars have been around forever (used to be Sachs-Dolmar). Great commercial grade saws. People talk about Echo smaller saws being favorites among arborists and that is true, but their larger saws are no slouches. Great warranty and bullet-proof engines. I believe you should try as many as you can and settle on what feels good to you. I am picky about saws having manual over-ride for their bar oiling system and Echo provides that. Having said that, I do use Stihl saws also, but my Echos get their fair share of use. I have a new MS-460 Stihl and I am very pleased with the smoothness of the saw. Power is about what should be there with a 4.7 cu. in. saw. The difference I see in the Stihl is it is smooth and a quality work machine. The Echo is not quite as smooth, but equally up to the task of hard, daylong work. Again, try them and purchase what best suits your intended application. They all make quality, dependable, commercial saws.

Like has been said, it comes down to how each one feels to each person. Some people love the 026, some hate it. You'll find that with every make and model. So all else being equal, it comes to dealer support and what you can afford. There's alot of good saws out there. Pick them up see what fits.

Of course there's Husky guys and Stihl guys, but beyond that it'd be impossible for anyone to name the best brand.

I think 458 made a good, accurate post.

Jeff

The Echo line is a mystery to me too, just kidding. My dad started selling them in 1973 from the trunk of his car. I sold them from 1976-1985. I wish i could get every model ever made, something i am working on. As the other guys said get something that has dealer support in your area, not from the internet 1,000 miles away that is 2 bucks cheaper. But i buy old Echo's from farther than that, gotta have them:D ...Bob

I have been told that the husky saws will not hold up as long as stihl??
All of my saws are stihls but that's what my dad recommended I buy. The guy I work for runs husky saws except pole saws.

Which are better climbing saws? mid-range saws? large saws? pole saws?

THANKS

palmersfirewood said:
All of my saws are stihls but that's what my dad recommended I buy. The guy I work for runs husky saws except pole saws.

THANKS

Not to rain on your parade, but the good old stihl vs. husqvarna debate gets tedious. Honestly, there are a number of first-rate manufacturers. Stihl, Husqvarna (and thus Jonsered), Dolmar, and Echo all make excellent saws. Solo, Deere/Efco, Redmax, Shindaiwa, and others also make some good, solid saws. And we always have the old classics to consider, too - many of the old McCulloch, PoulanPro, Homelite, etc. - are still in service and performing well.

So your dad suggested you stick with Stihl. Good advice, Stihl makes some good saws. Your boss runs Husqvarna. Good for him, his saws are from one of the top manufacturers. Really it all boils down to what YOU want to run and how you want to get your spare parts. Stihl's no-online/mailorder/etc. policies may be a bother for some folks but a non-issue for others. Many shy away from Dolmar because the brick-and-mortar dealer support network isn't anywhere near that of Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. Other folks couldn't care less because they have lots of saws and having one go down for a week isn't a big deal, or because they're occasional users and can always finish cutting firewood next weekend if they have to.

Much like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar debates, the Stihl vs. Husqvarna debate is a waste of time. If you have the right saw for the job, its manufacturer really isn't that big a deal. And if you have the wrong saw for the job, its manufacturer isn't that big a deal, either.

computeruser said:
Not to rain on your parade, but the good old stihl vs. husqvarna debate gets tedious. Honestly, there are a number of first-rate manufacturers. Stihl, Husqvarna (and thus Jonsered), Dolmar, and Echo all make excellent saws. Solo, Deere/Efco, Redmax, Shindaiwa, and others also make some good, solid saws. And we always have the old classics to consider, too - many of the old McCulloch, PoulanPro, Homelite, etc. - are still in service and performing well.

So your dad suggested you stick with Stihl. Good advice, Stihl makes some good saws. Your boss runs Husqvarna. Good for him, his saws are from one of the top manufacturers. Really it all boils down to what YOU want to run and how you want to get your spare parts. Stihl's no-online/mailorder/etc. policies may be a bother for some folks but a non-issue for others. Many shy away from Dolmar because the brick-and-mortar dealer support network isn't anywhere near that of Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo. Other folks couldn't care less because they have lots of saws and having one go down for a week isn't a big deal, or because they're occasional users and can always finish cutting firewood next weekend if they have to.

Much like the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Mopar debates, the Stihl vs. Husqvarna debate is a waste of time. If you have the right saw for the job, its manufacturer really isn't that big a deal. And if you have the wrong saw for the job, its manufacturer isn't that big a deal, either.

Another good, accurate post.

There is no answer to this question.

Jeff

palmersfirewood said:

THANKS
Figure out which category you want to ask about, and ask. The general "Stihl vs. Husky" (or "Ford vs. Chevy") debate is fruitless when each manufacturer has many good and bad models. Narrow it down a little.

This is a very competitive world. Each saw company you mentioned believes they are putting-out the best product they can based on the abilities of their R&D people. You have gotten great opinions from Skwerl, Fishhuntcutwood, etc. Again, I think it comes down to you, the individual. Ask yourself what you want the saw to do and limit your choices that way. Once you do that, you need to try them out or at least go visit the dealership and handle the saw, pole saw, whatever. The warranties are pretty much the same, with the exception of Echo. Most companies give you a 90 day warranty. That protects you and it protects them from thoughtless owners that probably shouldn't own or operate motorized equipment. Everyone has their favorite saw brand. Everyone has their favorite auto brand, motorcycle, etc. I don't view one as particularly better than another. My personal experience will always be worth more than word of mouth. I research, listen to other PRO users (that is capitalized as they make a living using this stuff) and then I identify with what I can live with price-wise, weight-wise, etc. Of no concern to me is speed. I don't race. I work. What is most important is reliability and ease of operation (for hours on end). When I cut, I want the thing to work. I used to run saws for a living (supplement to my other job) and would run them all day long (basically sun-up to sundown). They had to hold up and not beat me up in the process. My testimony about Homelites back then was gold because I ran the crap out of them and they rarely let me down. If they did, I would just grab another one and keep cutting. Time was money and I was a self-employed logger. (always work harder for yourself). I had faith in those Homelites. I had to. They were what I could afford and they kept me working. Well I am older now and don't really cut commercially now and my allegiance has gone to Stihl and Echo. I would use Husky in a heartbeat. I would use Dolmar in a heartbeat. I know they are good saws because people on this forum use them for their livihood. They feed their family with those saws and they wouldn't choose junk.

Learn about yourself and what you can live with and then go buy it and never look back. Make a decision. The people on here will not steer you in a wrong direction. These guys know what they are talking about. Their livihood depends on their decisions about equipment. I have come around to Stihl. I am still pampering my Homelites, but at some time they will "give up the ghost". Stihl will replace them. That is just a personal thing, not an indictment about Dolmar, Husky, or any other brand.

Good luck,
Michael

Back