Sawzall woodcuttin blades?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My brother and father have helped me with stocking my firewood for this winter. Recent physical disabilities have prevented me from doing it myself, and I thank God they've both stepped up. I can't even start my chainsaws yet.
Neither one is a woodburner, though, so the lengths range from 8" to about 28". :D My stove is about 22" on the inside so there are a number of rounds that need to be cut to length.
What's the lifespan on one of those brush-cutting/tree-cutting blades for a reciprocating saw?

They aren't really meant for firewood sized chunks, especially hardwood. It would be awfully slow going. You would be better off with a 12" miter saw/chop saw, or an electric chainsaw as mentioned.

I have used the battery sawzall for tree and bush pruning. I have an old chop saw that I use for stuff under 6 inches if it' laying around. I use pallets for starter wood and did the test one day. Sawzall vs circular saw. The circular saw cuts much faster than the sawzall. That being said if I could only have one saw it would be a sawzall I can cut almost anything with one.

pruning blades are slow and plug up. i found the kerf to not be wide enough so they heat up really bad if the wood is larger diameter than the stroke of the sawzall.

Best blades ive found are the Milwaukee Ax blades. ive used them many times to cut wood in the shop that was too long for my house stove.

i personally like using a carpenters hand saw for cutting down wood in the shop. i find its faster and smoother than any other saws ive used. sawzalls usually dont do well when they cant clear the teeth in larger wood. i also dont care for the nasty vibrations that make my arm go numb after 5 cuts or so

Thanks for the replies folks.
I'm a semi-retired carpenter so I have all kinds of tools. My first thought was the miter saw, but that would involve either moving the saw to the wood or moving the wood to the shop and back every time I needed to lop a few inches off.
I'll just set the over-length pieces aside for now, then ask my brother for a little more help when the pile gets too big.

Back