Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to have an unpredictable bull until dad broke a 2x4 over his head. He didn't like anybody messing with his ladies and we had a hefer calve where she wasn't supposed to. Had to help her out and that sucker came at us so he got smacked right between the eyes with a cut off 2x4 piece. Took about 15 steps back and watched us cross eyed for a bit. He was fine from there on out but you never left your back to him.

I could see that making some animals better and some worse. I ruined a rooster like that once. Hopefully I don't have to go there- it'll be a 45 over a 2x4, I imagine, if I'm that close. I've been around some jacked up dairy bulls- he's not anywhere close to that. He just gets ornery-not hateful lol.

My Uncle had a dairy farm, and before everything was done by the Doctor, they always had a Bull. Never used to like them to get much past 2 years old, my cousin said they just turn meaner and can't be trusted.

There was an incident when I was a kid. Me, my brother and my cousin went with my Dad and my Uncle to repair the fence. Our Dog, a mixed Shepard that was 150 lbs when he was 9 months also came along. Seems the neighbor had passed, and his bull got too old, and it came through the hole in the fence (likely he made the hole in the fence).

The Bull started to charge my Dad. My Dad said he could have easily made it to the tractor, but he was afraid the bull would then charge us kids, as we were further away from the tractor, so he was going to let the bull charge and jump out of the way at the last minute. Well, as the bull charged, the dog ran across in front of it and tagged it's nose. The bull then chased the dog, who kept dodging it, till it could not stand any more, and my Uncle and Dad got a big stick and nudged it back to it's own side of the fence.

That was always one of my Dad's favorite stories to tell people.

I love farm stories.

My dads friend grew up on a farm. They had a huge tom cat that always strutted around with its tail high in the air. He was "Mr In-charge" if you know what I mean.

One day the big cat walked underneath a gas powered washing machine that was in operation. As soon as the furry tail hit the drive belt the belt pulled it right off. Cat comes flying out the other side with nothing but a bony tailbone sticking out.

They didn't want to kill the cat so one brother held it's butt to a chopping block and the other brother took the axe and amputated the tailbone. The spot healed over and the cat lived for many years.

I had an uncle, simple guy , stubborn guy, a eactd on impulse guy , used to log with a horse , the last horse he had in the 70's didn't want to pull the last hitch , he and the horse got in a tussle and the horse kicked him as he walked behind, when he came to he grabbed his ballpien hammer ended it right there in on the skid trail .
Then he had to walk out to civilization to call someone to come move the horse and the load .
Like I said , simple....
He bought an 8n and logged with that till the mid 80's till he passed .

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

I remember a gas washer the family used to wash work gloves only (retired to that duty)- had a kick start.
My pap told me that way back when, there was a designated day of the week for washing- like Tuesday. Everyone around knew to not burn brush, etc. outside on wash day so the clothes out on the lines didn't get ash, etc. He said the hollers around home were filled with the putput of those old gas washers and ringers. That story stuck with me - not sure why.

I love farm stories.

My dads friend grew up on a farm. They had a huge tom cat that always strutted around with its tail high in the air. He was "Mr In-charge" if you know what I mean.

One day the big cat walked underneath a gas powered washing machine that was in operation. As soon as the furry tail hit the drive belt the belt pulled it right off. Cat comes flying out the other side with nothing but a bony tailbone sticking out.

They didn't want to kill the cat so one brother held it's butt to a chopping block and the other brother took the axe and amputated the tailbone. The spot healed over and the cat lived for many years.

I went for a run with my old man mebbe 20 years back and came across a sign on a fence: "I won't make you pay to cross this paddock (field) but the bull charges". We didn't cross the paddock.

I could see that making some animals better and some worse. I ruined a rooster like that once. Hopefully I don't have to go there- it'll be a 45 over a 2x4, I imagine, if I'm that close. I've been around some jacked up dairy bulls- he's not anywhere close to that. He just gets ornery-not hateful lol.

45 would have cost to much. Just poor farmers :) Meanest darn bull I ever tangled with was a buffalo. Neighbor had 25 of them and that bull was down right salty come breeding season. Ruined a 4 wheeler. Saw him throw a goat about 20 feet in the air and stomp the life out of him once he landed. Think he would have fought a D9 bulldozer if it got to close to his ladies. Once breeding was over you could have rode a bicycle next to him and he wouldn't have batted an eye.

My Uncle (who taught me to hunt) bought an old saw mill in the Catskills to use as a hunting cabin. The old guy that owned it told us how he did things with his horse. He would cut a tree down with his axe (a lot of Hemlock around there), hook the log to the horse, and the horse would bring it down to the mill while he cut down the next tree.

When the horse got to the mill he would back up and un hook himself and come back for the next log.

He was also pretty well known in the area for being a water witcher.

I love farm stories.

i found a yellow tail along the road in front of my barn one time. just the tail.no bone. i had 3 yellow barn cats. 2 tame and 1 wild. i saw the 2 tame ones but not the wild one and figured she had been hit by a car and went off and died. about 3 days later she came right up to me when i was feeding with a bony tailbone. my wife made me take it to the vet and she chopped it off. scaredy cat lives in the house now.

Latest posts

Back