Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty crazy about that buffalo getting so mean!

Moose are known to go out of their mind too. Knew a friend of a friend who was driving their suburban and a bull moose attacked them. Small road and they couldn't get turned around and get away. The moose continued to attack them until it died of an apparent heart attack. The suburban received so much damage that the insurance co totaled it.

Also know a few guys who work on the railroad. All of them have stories of rutting bull moose charging an oncoming train. I believe they can sometimes even derail it.

My BIL had a rooster that was absolutely bonkers crazy/aggressive. If you would pick up on of the hens and tip it sideways and show the bottom of it's feet to the rooster, he would lose his mind and think it was attacking him. Of course he would only do this to a hen that was in the next pen as to prevent harm to her.

Years ago our neighbour decided that he could tame another's neighbours mean Holstein bull. He lasted 3 days, they found his boots and blood stained clothes in the pasture field. They figure he walked out in the field to get the cows in for milking and the bull met him halfway. Stomped him into the ground. There is much more to the story but bottom line is the man is dead. My Dad once bought a horse off a neighbour and when they went to unload it the horse went nuts and started biting the heck out of anything he could get his head near. Dad just closed the back door and drove straight to the butcher shop. Lots of Dutch (my wife) around here love horse meat.

Some Amish still use gas washing machines. As I understand it they'll run a gas motor somewhere outside the house and run belts to power regular washing machines and whatever else they can hook them up to. Goofy certainly, but kinda neat.
Resourceful to say the least. Just keep kids away from those belts and pulleys!

Lots of Amish around me (technically I'm related by my great great grandmother). Different groups do things differently. Some have cell phones and tractors with air tires, some just horses, some with steel wheeled tractors.

A coworker told me a funny farm story yesterday. Seems they were filling silo with a blower, and there were some saplings growing around the blower area. He grabs his dad's favorite saw- old blue homelite. Saplings get cut, saw gets laid on forage wagon, area gets cleaned up, blower kicked on, wagon gets kicked on, the fun starts. Saw goes through the blower and thrown, in parts, into the silo. Dad makes him and his brother dig through silage getting all the metal out. 30 years later his dad is still missing his favorite saw- and holds a grudge lol

Some Amish still use gas washing machines. As I understand it they'll run a gas motor somewhere outside the house and run belts to power regular washing machines and whatever else they can hook them up to. Goofy certainly, but kinda neat.
i live near Lancaster PA and my farm newspaper has ads for them all the time. buy/sell/wanted.

A Bison is not an animal you want to mess with. They are very big, very strong, and very primitive.

There used to be a 10,000 acre farm about 20 minutes for here that used to raise them. My Aunt used to know one of the sons, and he took us out in the field to see them, but cautioned us not to do anything that would arouse them.

Subsequently, the father passed and the place got sub divided ... a shame. No Bison, or farm land, anymore.

I read the first 263 pages and then skipped to the last 100 pages. Very enjoyable. Some people have stayed all the way through. Learned a lot too. Thanks.
Welcome to the thread.

We solve all the world's problems in here. Especially maple syrup, whiskey, and many other topics besides scrounging.

I read the first 263 pages and then skipped to the last 100 pages. Very enjoyable. Some people have stayed all the way through. Learned a lot too. Thanks.
Don't forget to put up pics and share some of the scrounging you've done !

Mighty Mouse Logging LLC

Welcome to the thread.

We solve all the world's problems in here. Especially maple syrup, whiskey, and many other topics besides scrounging.

I haven't read all the pages either. I'd sure love to have my maple syrup problems solved, though!

Here's a picture from when things are going good in the sugar bush.

rps20170120_071443_861.jpg

Back