Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google seems to be changing some stuff again , let me know if the pic doesn't work for any of you guys .

0w-OvOCdzNZFipfy7jE8gDELLgGqP2b8GFerWRA-XmopH87kORAz9R6XYkjRFDgjekAhtYT-dL55Y4BiYjS8zq6JzB0gVcp3fKZjHQVH2zfZK72E1gVj9MWCLBayrSC4Fo4-Mm57BhYv2Ou8Rqe6_qBcky-jvH0uS4H4skcZIiZEW5axWsO-mJmC7yzlu84SGw9jOc5j_VfFExi6G5lu2U8kUjFwwXts0o1bVW6zAFCKjiI_mD82HsstzudNDQVN74V9pejWdt7K3RPE765d2x6-9V7OLqMlcLS8eL07PTDn_BVQmJwP769ezai7obfHrj3T3whpXhyASBmaqDYcs1r4p-PYT9m1HicBdPPQx5lW9KzqilrfiBtYvkX8_hvXMF3ilaC0pX1msYA3MOvgO4yfMDg5aUfX9-6jgxc9ye8vTGLkfFVYrSSpP5CHr2ZCMvEiD9i12soFXLnQvnXL9oL4dCHZFDp7mIzsPtFhmxD_xfKtbF78u_l9Vf6E37zz38ZlMVWGuIrqpWt3gayk-6OISeRkzd4f3c7oHVCY9osTqLFVbvQVaEeiRh8jm3UWdHSWvzV2VhuAzLz0Dt1CpEVSwSUH1LNDwCgnlV9VvGgULXU5p6QR=w1249-h937-no

I see one picture (very pretty, by the way) and 3 icons that show pictures that aren't working.
I see exactly the same as Ryan, and also really liked the one picture I could see!

Strange how you can do the same thing four times (most likely) and have different results.

I see exactly the same as Ryan, and also really liked the one picture I could see!

Strange how you can do the same thing four times (most likely) and have different results.

I don't get it either , Mike can you see the porky pics ?

Lots of firewood in those large stumps, and that Chestnut Oak just looked beautiful! If I could have those logs back I would mill some of them, but when that wood dries up, it is hard, noticeably harder than the Red Oak. I don't do any smoking, and Hickory makes great fire wood also.

Mike you had saws in the trunk I wanted to see a 20 inch round on the seat . lol
You could belt it in and call it a new wood hauler
I m kidding . I had a Mach 1 1969 not a Boss tho. I miss that one

What do you get when you mix front wheel bearings from a 93 jeep with the spindles from a (year unknown) Dodge Caravan, throw in a weight bracket from a big old International tractor and tires / wheels from an even bigger front wheel assist John Deere, then top it all off with one of those tow bars that got chained to the front bumper (from way back when cars had metal bumpers) and some C-Channel you scrounged off homemade trailer ramp extensions?

Meet my old school high wheeler log arch. I bought the winch so this isn't a total scrounge, but the bolts holding it to the c-channel, the cable, the hooks, and the swivel bracket holding the fixed hook are off a couple old broken come-alongs.

The theory of operation is roll the arch over up to a 26" diameter log, use the winch to pick the log up tight to the bottom of the cross piece (weight bracket) then bind the log tightly to the cross piece with the chain. There will be 10" ground clearance on a 26" log. Latch on to one end of the log with tongs on the 3-point and haul them out to the landing.

Please don't tell the guys in the welders forum I posted this pic, they'll crucify my welds ;) Might have to gusset that upright channel...hmmmm

20170122_133616[1].jpg

Spied a couple storm damaged trees cut down next to a driveway about 2 miles away. No chimney on the house. Sigh. With this January thaw, everything is so muddy and soft. Plus I still have a fair bit of snow in my yard. There would be no way to get any wood to where I need it to be. I settled for starting all my saws and letting them run for a minute in the garage. Only burned 3.5 facecord so far this winter. 8 degrees C today haven't needed a fire yet, still warm inside from last night.

I went to the national wildlife refuge by my home and applied for a woodcutting permit I can cut as much as I want and the oak wilt went thru about 10-15 years ago sometimes the arborist even calls if he has something laying over the road today was a nice big red oak and a popular tree nice and easy right on the road !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you get when you mix front wheel bearings from a 93 jeep with the spindles from a (year unknown) Dodge Caravan, throw in a weight bracket from a big old International tractor and tires / wheels from an even bigger front wheel assist John Deere, then top it all off with one of those tow bars that got chained to the front bumper (from way back when cars had metal bumpers) and some C-Channel you scrounged off homemade trailer ramp extensions?

View attachment 553025

Darn! Saw the pic and thought for sure you were building a monster truck!:D

Went for a quick ride back to the bush with the 4 wheeler. Doesn't look like I'm going to be doing much hauling for awhile. Inside the bush is almost as bad, one of the landing areas is 6" deep in water. I can't believe how bad it looks inside the bush right now. This is the reason no one has logged this bush regularly before. This is the only way out of this section of the bush and it's the biggest section. I've already got the northern, dryer part of the bush done as much as I want to right now. There is an access trail there but only useable when the crops are off and it's also pretty wet at the best of times. It's a good thing I worked my azz off when I could get back there. I have 2 years worth of logs already at home but like everyone else I always want more. The 1st picture is of one of my landings, it's straight and in the center of the pic, water is 12" deep in spots. And a pic of the pond I dug out.
IMG_20170122_155158.jpg IMG_20170122_155216.jpg IMG_20170122_155245.jpg

Latest posts

Back