Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fishing buddy called and said he had a water leak dripping in the kitchen of one of his rentals, and did I have a good plumber. Of course. My plumber buddy told me to check it out to save a service charge. Had to see if it was a containment problem or leak. While I was there I decided to cut a couple dead oaks down, made about a cord and a half, Joe.

My fishing buddy called and said he had a water leak dripping in the kitchen of one of his rentals, and did I have a good plumber. Of course. My plumber buddy told me to check it out to save a service charge. Had to see if it was a containment problem or leak. While I was there I decided to cut a couple dead oaks down, made about a cord and a half, Joe.

That right there looks like just about the best firewood a guy can find. Not much for limbs, already partway dry, not too big to deal with, but still decent sized, and nothing splits better than straight grain oak in my opinion. Congrats on an excellent score.

So today I got to try out my new 066. Was a lot of work to get it ready, the parts I ordered for it have not come in yet, so spent the morning working on the saw, and the afternoon cutting.

Used an old 044 Fuel cap that leaked as an 066 oil cap, figure it won't leak too much oil. I had to straighten the handle some to use it, and as I'm walking around with it is see the hole for the hitch on the back of my ATV, put the end of the handle in there, and it is good enough to use! Then I modded the existing muffler instead of installing a dp muff cover. Then, when I thought I was ready to go, I found out I had to clean up the threads on one of the bar studs.

So after all that, I was pleasantly surprised how well it pulled a 36" bar in Red & Chestnut Oak. It is not a speed demon, but tons of torque, even with an 8 pin sprocket. 4 of the stumps exceeded the reach of the 36" bar, and 4 others did not. They included 2 large Red Oak, one large Chestnut Oak, and a medium size Shag Bark Hickory, all a good test for this saw. And, they all fit in the Mustang (My MMWS 460 helped with the noodling).

Also, considering how dirty she was when I got her, I think she cleaned up pretty well.

Enjoy the pics:

Attachments

• IMG_20170120_150812604 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170120_150812604 (Large).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20170120_160309628.jpg
    IMG_20170120_160309628.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20170120_162039697.jpg
    IMG_20170120_162039697.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
A Bison is not an animal you want to mess with. They are very big, very strong, and very primitive.

There used to be a 10,000 acre farm about 20 minutes for here that used to raise them. My Aunt used to know one of the sons, and he took us out in the field to see them, but cautioned us not to do anything that would arouse them.

Subsequently, the father passed and the place got sub divided ... a shame. No Bison, or farm land, anymore.
Hmm...always kinda had a grudge against Bisons since I was a kid.
Would luv the opportunity to knock meat from a Bison's mouth!!:yes:

So today I got to try out my new 066. Was a lot of work to get it ready, the parts I ordered for it have not come in yet, so spent the morning working on the saw, and the afternoon cutting.

Used an old 044 Fuel cap that leaked as an 066 oil cap, figure it won't leak too much oil. I had to straighten the handle some to use it, and as I'm walking around with it is see the hole for the hitch on the back of my ATV, put the end of the handle in there, and it is good enough to use! Then I modded the existing muffler instead of installing a dp muff cover. Then, when I thought I was ready to go, I found out I had to clean up the threads on one of the bar studs.

So after all that, I was pleasantly surprised how well it pulled a 36" bar in Red & Chestnut Oak. It is not a speed demon, but tons of torque, even with an 8 pin sprocket. 4 of the stumps exceeded the reach of the 36" bar, and 4 others did not. They included 2 large Red Oak, one large Chestnut Oak, and a medium size Shag Bark Hickory, all a good test for this saw. And, they all fit in the Mustang (My MMWS 460 helped with the noodling).

Also, considering how dirty she was when I got her, I think she cleaned up pretty well.

Enjoy the pics:

No Wood ? lol
save the hickory for the smoker

Had to relocate the MF1020 today , Pioneerguy600 went and checked a stash of leaners that were alive a couple of years ago so we let it there as a reserve , well a bunch had died so ,,,,,

17%2B-%2B1

And up the Highway of Happiness lol

17%2B-%2B2

About a mile down the road I get to the trail .

17%2B-%2B3

Jerry had beat me there and started to cut a trail in

fxCvo8YLOEwYINOUfAWaACVLARSVGOU3KuyBe4eKEKgV4kojjuTO12iwi1Pi7UZlCyjsPDme-i0=w923-h813-no

17%2B-%2B12

I had to back in as we made the trail , even winched a few logs to the trailer on the way in .

17%2B-%2B20

It didn't take long to get a load onboard while just clearing the trail .

_tUxgjaVe18QL5uyJaDDtR3otsutKcrjIVYFzcRn9E26Ome6xc_qSLdlX2yq1_a0Y_vqwid4LvI=w1043-h813-no

Sure is hard to convey how steep that hill really is but 1'st gear in the lowest range on the downhill run with a load was the way down .

17%2B-%2B9

Plenty of wood on this hill .

17%2B-%2B31

17%2B-%2B43

17%2B-%2B43

We got 4 loads hauled out today , it was a great day :)

No bush work here either, way to warm and muddy. I've been running 120 and 220 volt and air lines in my shop the last few days. About time considering the shop was up 2 years ago. It's going to be a long work in progress. The car hoist has been sitting for a year and a half now, was going to mount it this weekend but doubt I'm going to get the rest of the electrical done. My son is part way thru a body job on a short box chev he bought and it's in the way on jack stands and air jack. I might take the 4 wheeler and go back tomorrow to make sure there is still some trees back there. We're having my wife's family reunion here this summer and she knows how speedy I am so she's on my case everyday to do stuff. Bunch of relatives coming over from Holland and all over Ontario so she is keen. Me, I just wanna cut wood.

Guy I go to church with said he had 3 oaks cut down at his house that I can have. Problem is we have been getting so much rain lately they are sitting in like 3 inches of water lol. He said no rush that they are mine though so hopefully in the next few weekends I can get them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So much rain. So much mud. 60 here today. Honey bee's out. Skeeters and tics to. I can barely make it to the wood pile to stock the stove, much less get out to cut more wood. Dang it. Good luck fellas

I didn't even try to go clean up any of the trees I have down today. We have been running ac during the day and heat at night. It's been a really weird January. Power bill shouldn't be too bad this month at least lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had a productive morning, cut 4 trees down for next year's fire wood, the two biggest being tall Black Birch with bases of 20" & 24". Four of my saws got a good workout, the 044 w/28", the MS440 with 20", the MMWS 362 w/20" and the Dr. Al 026 for the limbing. Boy, after you use that little saw for the limbing, the larger saws just seem so heavy! It spoils you fast!

Luckily I had most of the cutting done when I rocked the 28" bar. Was a rock high up on the brush pile I did not see! So I spent a good deal of the afternoon fixing that square file chain.

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_115820787 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170121_115820787 (Large).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
No Wood ? lol
save the hickory for the smoker

Lots of firewood in those large stumps, and that Chestnut Oak just looked beautiful! If I could have those logs back I would mill some of them, but when that wood dries up, it is hard, noticeably harder than the Red Oak. I don't do any smoking, and Hickory makes great fire wood also.

No bush work here either, way to warm and muddy..

See, that's what I like about living up here in the mountains. It's winter all the way until it's spring. We still have the same snow we got back in November, plus a few more feet on top of that. Some time around March/April it'll start melting. Heck, I've had it snow on my birthday in June, but that's not typical:D

:yes:
See, that's what I like about living up here in the mountains. It's winter all the way until it's spring. We still have the same snow we got back in November, plus a few more feet on top of that. Some time around March/April it'll start melting. Heck, I've had it snow on my birthday in June, but that's not typical:D
Yep :)

When I was a kid, it was like that around here, not any more, was mid 40s today! I remember my Dad betting with a guy that the snow would still be there by April 1. He lost the bet, but only by a few days.

About 2 miles away from here, there is a place called ice pond, they used to cut ice to sell in NYC. Every year, they would cut after it got 18" thick! I think that has only happened once in the last decade (3 years ago). Most years, we are just not getting near the amount of snow we used to get.

And just think, no one had 4 wd, and everyone still went to work! (Chains would more than make up for the lack of tire tech).

Our winters are very polarized these days. In the last ten years we've had the 2nd and 4th longest winters judged by ice out on major lakes as well as the first and second earliest ice outs. Also had the warmest and coldest months on record. But yes we don't get the extended cold like we used to. Now if we hit -35 the world ends. When I was a kid we didn't get school cancelled until it was expected to be over -45.

Back