Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the snow in China is cheaper / lighter weight too?

Philbert
Well to be fair it was 5 years old and we had over 2 ft of snow . If I had done it right away it most likely would have survived as the snow was like powder but the snow had started to melt making it heavier and somewhat frozen

I never realized how heavy oak was until I built sides on my 20’ trailer so I could haul 4 cords at once. After finishing something made me think about the weight 4 cords would be, I go online to check, 5,000 pounds per cord of oak!!!! My trailer is only rated 7tons!!!! I had no idea wood weighed so much!

I'm a matco guy because of the service. Didn't harbor freight buy snap on?
Not sure about the snap-on / harbor fright deal

Our Matco guy is the worst!!! Followed closely by the new Mac guy.
Snap on guy tries hard to be a good guy so he gets most of the business.

What really stinks is the old Mac guy was the BEST ever. Great guy and AWESOME tool man. He unfortunately met his demise early in life. Total BS deal too. He was riding on his Harley and the Assistant District Attorney of Orange County NY crossed the double yellow line on a turn and hit him head on. NO blood test, NO breathalyzer, NO nothing. He had just left a “lunch meeting” with the DA and county executive. Poor Bert, he was truly a GREAT MAN!!!

The arrival of the tool guy was definitely the high point of the week back when I worked on mechanical stuff.

I bought a few things from each of them. But I’m more prone to lose things than break them so the warrants doesn’t help me a lot.

I was always surprised that they extended credit to ANYONE. I mean so many mechanics are fly by night but I suppose they always turn up at another shop eventually.

Not sure about the snap-on / harbor fright deal

Our Matco guy is the worst!!! Followed closely by the new Mac guy.
Snap on guy tries hard to be a good guy so he gets most of the business.

What really stinks is the old Mac guy was the BEST ever. Great guy and AWESOME tool man. He unfortunately met his demise early in life. Total BS deal too. He was riding on his Harley and the Assistant District Attorney of Orange County NY crossed the double yellow line on a turn and hit him head on. NO blood test, NO breathalyzer, NO nothing. He had just left a “lunch meeting” with the DA and county executive. Poor Bert, he was truly a GREAT MAN!!!
We had a couple great matco guys which made life easier. Plus they never bitched about warranting anything. The cornwell guy was solid too. Tools not as nice but he went out of his way. I don't know how many $100's of thousands of snap on tools we had in the shops and we went 18 months without a snap on guy. We had a rep 5 minutes down the road but they would not let him call on us. Finally gave us a corporate guy and all he did was push tool boxes. I traded many of my tools into matco when they had their promos and never regretted it. Heck I have been out the game for 6 years years and the matco guy will stop by my house or meet in town if I need anything.

I never realized how heavy oak was until I built sides on my 20’ trailer so I could haul 4 cords at once. After finishing something made me think about the weight 4 cords would be, I go online to check, 5,000 pounds per cord of oak!!!! My trailer is only rated 7tons!!!! I had no idea wood weighed so much!

You'd probably need a class B license to move that much weight anyway.

Yeah, 4 cords of oak would be quite a load on that trailer, make sure you get pictures :surprised3:.
Funny you're thinking of how heavy oak is, I was just thinking of how light red oak it. I was bringing in a few wheelbarrow loads this evening for the cold snap and I got to a spot that's a lot of cherry and a little red oak and I thought, man this stuff sure is light compared to the black locust that makes up most of the wood in the wood shed. That being said, I'm very grateful for it all and the ability to get harvest it, process it, and then get it in the house. The neighbors wife came over tonight to ask if I could help with their drive, his snowblower is down and he's not really able to do it anyway. Helping those in need can make us appreciate what we have :yes:. Pretty sure that's why I've read that it's better to give than to receive :reading:.

My roof rake broke this morning . Plastic rake broke in two it was a Lowe’s Chinese made one . Went to the local hardware store to get a new one Bought an American made all aluminum one . Paid a little more but it will be well worth it View attachment 887193View attachment 887195View attachment 887194
I worked for a sheet metal fabrication shop for a year. Mass had a bad winter and all the roof rakes were sold out all around us. So we suggested that we could make them right there when we were in a slow period. That idea was shot down as being crazy. The local hardware store owner told me he would have bought 20 rakes to start and order more as sales went in. This was the third generation nephews running it. The previous owners would look for work and new things.

I got a winter scrounge yesterday. My company had a maple that was dropping limbs due to rot. They had a tree service come in to take it down. I could not help load it due to safety on the property but I did get the good stuff delivered to my driveway. Alot of it is large and will need some noodling or I will take it to the splitter and use the back hoe to get it on.IMG_20210203_124117945_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back