Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another note, and maybe I mentioned it before, but what gauge of 28" - 30" bar would use on a Stihl 046? Once I get the saw running (hopefully soon), I want to get a longer bar than what it came with. Both my 038 and 046 came with 20" 0.063 bars. Any reason to go with that gauge? I think a 0.05 gauge are cheaper in bar and chains.
I think the rule of thumb is anything works fine till you get into 36” plus. I’d go with the cheaper .050 if I was you.

My 36” bars from Zog are .063. For simplicity sake, everything else here is .050 here except for the random .058 that came on a scrounged saw. When I get rid of a saw it leaves with .058 gear so I can slim down the number of bar and chain combinations.

Then of course you've got partially worn bars that need the next size larger gauge chain than they were stamped for to function properly. I try and mark those with a marker near the base of the bar so it doesn’t wear off with use.

In another thread, someone mentioned in passing, they thought their saw had an air leak because the idle speed was creeping up. Where could such a leak be and how do you check and find it?
Base gasket, carb boot, or crank seals.

If you rock the saw side to side and the rpm changes, that’s definitely crank seals.

You find air leaks by doing a pressure/vac test. Always do the simple stuff first, like a full tune up (air filter, plug, fuel filter) and make sure your carb is set right, before you waste time searching for gremlins.

I tried to go 063 on all my bars over 20" cause I thought it may oil better, but was unable to find 36" bars in .063! I think it is a regional thing, they are more common in the West.

So now, my 20" and 36" bars are all .050, and my 24", 28", and 32" bars are all .063! Since I mill with 36" bars and have not had any problems with them, I would not worry about it. Go with what is easiest to get.

Thanks all. I do plan to do a little milling with the 046 and a 28" bar. Just a cut or two. Sounds like the wider 0.063 groove transfers oil better (which I'm guessing is better for milling), but a bar size I'm looking at (28"-30"), a 0.050" bar should be fine??

As far as the increased idle speed (on my 038), I've never messed with the carb settings since the new carb was put on years ago by a shop. But for some reason, the chain still spins when the engine goes into idle. I push on the brake as soon as I'm done with the cut.

One split I brought into the house a couple of years ago had four European wasps stuck to the underside. They woke up and started buzzing around the house, but like they were drunk, they were pretty dopey. But they can still sting and I had to hunt them all down before the Cowcat MkII tried to eat them (and regret it). My pest controller client told me once that those ones are potential queens so it's good to get rid of them.
I've had this happen several times myself. The kids have a playroom in the basement by where I throw wood in. They are normally the ones that alert me to the unwanted flying invaders!

Thanks all. I do plan to do a little milling with the 046 and a 28" bar. Just a cut or two. Sounds like the wider 0.063 groove transfers oil better (which I'm guessing is better for milling), but a bar size I'm looking at (28"-30"), a 0.050" bar should be fine??

As far as the increased idle speed (on my 038), I've never messed with the carb settings since the new carb was put on years ago by a shop. But for some reason, the chain still spins when the engine goes into idle. I push on the brake as soon as I'm done with the cut.
My opinion is .050 is fine, like others said I’d just use whatever you have access to and is a good price. Really don’t think you’ll notice any difference. I use .050 for everything just to keep it same and it’s what’s available here.
On the 038, if idle is where it should be and chain still turns could be a broken clutch spring?

Yes, check the clutch for worn out or broken springs. After that, if the idle seems a little Hi, try opening the Lo screw a bit.

Keep in mind, elevation and temp changes can alter the tune a saw needs. A spinning chain is dangerous and I would look to fix the problem ASAP.

I removed a piece of vine that was jammed in the shut one time, and the chain started to spin, went through my glove and took a little piece of my finger nail. Luckily it was not worse, and it fully healed, but it was a "wake up call". After that, I replaced the broken clutch spring.

Limit marker posts?
No markers. He was in Fla. Usually does it with a walk behind blower and you can see as soon as you miss the little curve. I was playing with the loader. 4' bucket, 2 passes going down, finished. If "I" stay on the black top. Second pass down and I saw sod coming over the bucket, OOPS, the tractor never noticed the difference till it was too late.

One split I brought into the house a couple of years ago had four European wasps stuck to the underside.
Don't the drop bears just eat them? The tarantulas?
Unlike Nate and his never ending surplus of fresh powder, just a few hundred miles northwest of him we have this:
Well, it does say 'Tundra' on that thing; can't you just put on grass tracks?

Philbert

So, that's why you have all of those Echo's?
I currently only have three ;).
I was just talking to a dealer yesterday so it's ironic you would say/ask that(although it seems a bit rhetorical :p).
The 2511 rear handle is now available in the states, I'll probably snag one up in the spring when they have their dealer days, echo days, or whatever it's called. He said he'd be more than happy to ship one to me then, I may have it sent up the road a few hrs to have the inside of the ported lightened :chainsaw:.
While I really like the huskys, I have a lot of dolmars/makitas and a lot of these odd colored white and orange saws here too, gotta have the right inventory on hand lol.

Definitely address the idle issue, that is an accident waiting to happen.

Unlike Nate and his never ending surplus of fresh powder:clap:, just a few hundred miles northwest of him we have this:cry::

View attachment 887139

As much as my sled likes to think it's an ATV, I had to get creative and come up with a better form of transport:

View attachment 887140
View attachment 887141
Your Tundra is about as close to a ATV as sleds come:) Great machine.
Guessing the Honda is a 450? If so, that ought to get place's in a big hurry! Now put on a track kit and a ski up front!

Your Tundra is about as close to a ATV as sleds come:) Great machine.
Guessing the Honda is a 450? If so, that ought to get place's in a big hurry! Now put on a track kit and a ski up front!
Yeah, the Tundra will go a lot of places most sleds wouldn't like too much. Haha
The Honda's a 250. If the snow's not deep, the ice screws in the tires hook up great. On icy roads and packed sled trails, you can haul the mail!
Even put screws in the kiddo's TTR50. He's a madman on that thing!:)

Latest posts

Back