Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I’m ignorant, why do you guys rake the snow off your roof? Doesn’t it add an extra layer of insulation and keep the heat in?
Ice dams . Heat lost in the attic melts the snow water runs down under the snow and freezes as soon as it hit the unheated eaves. Water backs up under the shingles and gets into the house. I just remove about 3 ft from the gutter

roof-ice-dam1.jpg

Took out my 62 Studebaker and played around with the camera on the new iPhoneView attachment 887523View attachment 887524View attachment 887525
That's sweet.
Ice dams . Heat lost in the attic melts the snow water runs down under the snow and freezes as soon as it hit the unheated eaves. Water backs up under the shingles and gets into the house. I just remove about 3 ft from the gutter

View attachment 887520
If you have sufficient insulation that's properly installed(not touching the roofing), and enough ventilation at both the eves and the ridge or pods vents where needed, then ice dams are not an issue(unless the vends get covered up lol).
I guess I’m ignorant, why do you guys rake the snow off your roof? Doesn’t it add an extra layer of insulation and keep the heat in?
It does add a good bit of insulation, our place is very easy to heat when there is a 1' of snow on the roof.
They are calling for storm totals of 4-8 with the front moving thru now, we've gotten about 2" of it so far :happy: .
Great pics of the equipment clearing the snow, I like that little tractor :).

View attachment 887520

Hmmmm.

All I was aware of was snow load getting too heavy.

That's sweet.

If you have sufficient insulation that's properly installed(not touching the roofing), and enough ventilation at both the eves and the ridge or pods vents where needed, then ice dams are not an issue(unless the vends get covered up lol).
Not entirely accurate. The ice dams can occur with even new codes being surpassed for insulation . Snow will melt and refreeze around the gutter area. Seen it on new homes and even camp sheds with no heat . The first sign of an ice dam is icicles hanging from the gutters.

Just a warm day will melt snow on the roof . My house has been spray foamed all the vents were blocked with foam and then sprayed directly to the roof . My attic stays warm all winter and snow doesn't melt from heat escaping . But I do get icicles say when the temps go above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. My attic looks like this

https://www.icynene.com/en-us/blog/insulating-underside-roofs-making-case-unvented-attic-assemblyspray-foam-insulation-open-cell-roof-rot-moisture-problem.jpg

Hmmmm.

I've seen where the insurance companies send out letters telling people that homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off the vents/eves.
Not entirely accurate. The ice dams can occur with even new codes being surpassed for insulation . Snow will melt and refreeze around the gutter area. Seen it on new homes and even camp sheds with no heat . The first sign of an ice dam is icicles hanging from the gutters.
Guess the builder didn't use ice and water shield if there was a problem with the ice dams. That's why I said ice dams aren't an issue, not that they don't happen. In areas of high snowfall or shallow pitched roofs ice dams could be a problem too, but "proper" insulation and ventilation(not code) will stop them from being an issue. The roofs I've done don't have issues :).

Not arguing , ice dams dont need to cause water going into the home but they can and have ruined many roofs by damaging the shingles. Ice shield doesn't protect the shingles just the decking and interior from water intrusion which is a good thing . I've seen water come in 4 or 5 ft from eaves well above the ice shield Lots of homes here have metal roofing about 3 ft from the gutter up .

Saw lots of it . And got lots of claims every winter when I worked for Allstate ins

I used the waterproof membrane on my entire roof . Pain in the butt but worth it

Hmmmm.

Our mountains have high pitch roofs, usually with all metal roofing, to get the snow to slide off. This is a cabin a few miles from our mountain property.

6ECD6650-118F-4B01-8E12-1A2586EA475D.jpeg

Awesome.
How many cords is that?
I like that trailer.
What part of the country are you in.
3 1/2 or 4 cords. It’s 20’x40”x8’
I’m in Ga. west of Atl.
I’m looking to get a grapple for a skid steer to scoop up firewood and load onto that trailer but haven’t decided which one would work best. It’s Aggravating as hell trying to scoop firewood with a regular bucket without getting dirt mixed in.

Not arguing , ice dams dont need to cause water going into the home but they can and have ruined many roofs by damaging the shingles. Ice shield doesn't protect the shingles just the decking and interior from water intrusion which is a good thing . I've seen water come in 4 or 5 ft from eaves well above the ice shield Lots of homes here have metal roofing about 3 ft from the gutter up .

Saw lots of it . And got lots of claims every winter when I worked for Allstate ins

I used the waterproof membrane on my entire roof . Pain in the butt but worth it
You must have added the last paragraph, pic, and article as it wasn't there before.
There's been a lot of controversy with regards to foaming ceilings, not a problem when it's open as yours is, but when guys don't totally fill the cavity and then drywall over it there can be mold issues. I'd like to foam mine too, but it would be a lot of foam to fill it :envy:, and it would be a big mess to remove all the drywall and then to replace it. Stinks having this doublewide trailer with regards to that, maybe down the road I'll add some new trusses to change the pitch and then insulate the heck out of it. I've also considered adding a couple inches of foam board to the inside and putting another layer of drywall over that. Sure would be nice to be able to afford thick enough SIPs panels and a nice metal roof:envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:.

If water came in 4-5' above the eves then ice and water shield should have been installed at 5-6', that's something an installer should understand regardless of the codes. I look at the trades as a form of artwork, everyone has their own way of accomplishing the end goals, sometimes they are less than the code and sometimes they are more strict than the codes.
One of the last roofs I did was a 1/12 pitch roof, the guy hated the flat roof look, even though you could barely see it from the road/his drive. I used 26 square of grace ice and water shield :envy: and gave him a 5 yr warranty, he was very pleased and the cost was actually cheaper than the flat roof guys quote :oops:, guess I should have charged more ;). Those shingles looked great from the roof, but you couldn't hardly see them from the road :laugh:. I never got a call for any leaks.

At the end of the day when it's on your license, you have to go with what you believe works best:cheers:.

Hmmmm learned a lot tonight. I’ve done a handful of roofs and figured the snow and ice shield protection was sufficient. But it makes sense Mark, the shingles still get needless wear and tear

Mark, aren’t you afraid your attic can’t “breath” enough with all that insulation?
Funny how thoughts change over the years. When I was a kid, still on the farm. My pop spent a lot of money to have the roof insulated in the attic. When he built his new house, it was blown insulation in the floor of the attic, and a vented un insulated roof. Now they are flipping back around to insulated roof, and no vent. What the heck?

3 1/2 or 4 cords. It’s 20’x40”x8’
I’m in Ga. west of Atl.
I’m looking to get a grapple for a skid steer to scoop up firewood and load onto that trailer but haven’t decided which one would work best. It’s Aggravating as hell trying to scoop firewood with a regular bucket without getting dirt mixed in.
If you use 156sqr ft for a loose cord thrown into a trailer, which is the number I've seen thrown around, then 20x8x3.3+528/156+3.384 square?
My BIL lives east of you a bit on the other side of Atlanta in Canton, he's working up here by us right now though.
I have no idea which one of those works best, I've seen a few videos, but not many that worked great. @farmer steve may have some ideas on it. Many of the places I've seen that sell a lot have a nice concrete pad and barricades to push up against at the back.

You must have added the last paragraph, pic, and article as it wasn't there before.
There's been a lot of controversy with regards to foaming ceilings, not a problem when it's open as yours is, but when guys don't totally fill the cavity and then drywall over it there can be mold issues. I'd like to foam mine too, but it would be a lot of foam to fill it :envy:, and it would be a big mess to remove all the drywall and then to replace it. Stinks having this doublewide trailer with regards to that, maybe down the road I'll add some new trusses to change the pitch and then insulate the heck out of it. I've also considered adding a couple inches of foam board to the inside and putting another layer of drywall over that. Sure would be nice to be able to afford thick enough SIPs panels and a nice metal roof:envy::envy::envy::envy::envy:.

If water came in 4-5' above the eves then ice and water shield should have been installed at 5-6', that's something an installer should understand regardless of the codes. I look at the trades as a form of artwork, everyone has their own way of accomplishing the end goals, sometimes they are less than the code and sometimes they are more strict than the codes.
One of the last roofs I did was a 1/12 pitch roof, the guy hated the flat roof look, even though you could barely see it from the road/his drive. I used 26 square of grace ice and water shield :envy: and gave him a 5 yr warranty, he was very pleased and the cost was actually cheaper than the flat roof guys quote :oops:, guess I should have charged more ;). Those shingles looked great from the roof, but you couldn't hardly see them from the road :laugh:. I never got a call for any leaks.

At the end of the day when it's on your license, you have to go with what you believe works best:cheers:.
My attic is unfinished . The pic is one I pulled off the net but represents what was done

Latest posts

Back