Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What weight oil ya run in that thing Jere. :laugh: Glad we haven't seen 10* this year so far.
Sad to say, it's pert'near 200 weight right now during the extended quarantine.

Now, to join another topic on this thread: A couple years ago this area was hit hard by a White Tail Deer disease called EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) struck hard the week before archery season, swiftly decimated almost all the deer in the woods behind my house. As near as I could count, the EHD could as well have stood for "Entire Herd Dead".

Sadly after watching these two guys on my game camera all summer long, and into September, on the first day in my stand I smelled a clear scent of death. I found my two trophy targets less than 100 yards apart, and within smell range of my stand.

IMG_4342.jpg

The herd has not come back in the woods behind my house. A couple medium body 8pts this year, I didn't even draw. I hope the herd replenishes.

Sad to say, it's pert'near 200 weight right now during the extended quarantine.

Now, to join another topic on this thread: A couple years ago this area was hit hard by a White Tail Deer disease called EHD (epizootic hemorrhagic disease) struck hard the week before archery season, swiftly decimated almost all the deer in the woods behind my house. As near as I could count, the EHD could as well have stood for "Entire Herd Dead".

Sadly after watching these two guys on my game camera all summer long, and into September, on the first day in my stand I smelled a clear scent of death. I found my two trophy targets less than 100 yards apart, and within smell range of my stand.

View attachment 887890

The herd has not come back in the woods behind my house. A couple medium body 8pts this year, I didn't even draw. I hope the herd replenishes.
It hit here this year in the lower counties . Friend in Orange county near newburgh found upwards of 20 dead in the woods he hunts . Mostly near a water source

It hit here this year in the lower counties . Friend in Orange county near newburgh found upwards of 20 dead in the woods he hunts . Mostly near a water source
Most of the ones I found were near water too. It's referred to here as "blue tongue" by the hunters, myself included that can't pronounce the EHD. I counted over 40 in the woods behind my house, and among the farms around here I know of upwards of 200 counted by folks I know can count.

Took a big dead ash down this morning down back in the fence row. NO WIRE!!! Few noodles for your viewing pleasure.View attachment 887737View attachment 887738

Hauled this 54 foot long oak scrounge in this morning. A little punky in a few spots but mostly good overall. 3 buckets full. Best part only a 3 minute drive across the street.
View attachment 887904View attachment 887905
Nice! Great pictures Steve! Not sure about saw cluttering up the picture though, lol.
Alright I have to admit the 462 is actually my favorite saw. Sthil don’t like the fuel/ oil caps but other than that it’s really a great saw. My older one both caps were leaking, tried some aftermarket ones, lasted about a month. Decided to get Sthil ones, had a set saved in my cart, went to order couple days later-sold out, most places were, finally found a single one, they had 2 in stock so ordered it real quick 99797D0C-D4DD-4791-9691-A6640F5DF93E.jpegblue o ring on this one maybe it will be better. Hope people can go back to work and start making stuff again, been trying to find a 28” tusamara light husky mount .050 for few months everyone sold out.
Did find a .043 gauge bar and chain for the echo B85B219B-5330-4CAA-951F-6C8C6840714D.jpeg2411
Hopefully that will work better and have less chatter.

I
Most of the ones I found were near water too. It's referred to here as "blue tongue" by the hunters, myself included that can't pronounce the EHD. I counted over 40 in the woods behind my house, and among the farms around here I know of upwards of 200 counted by folks I know can count.
Is that the same thing as CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease?) which is what they call it around here?

Nice! Great pictures Steve! Not sure about saw cluttering up the picture though, lol.
Alright I have to admit the 462 is actually my favorite saw. Sthil don’t like the fuel/ oil caps but other than that it’s really a great saw. My older one both caps were leaking, tried some aftermarket ones, lasted about a month. Decided to get Sthil ones, had a set saved in my cart, went to order couple days later-sold out, most places were, finally found a single one, they had 2 in stock so ordered it real quick View attachment 887923blue o ring on this one maybe it will be better. Hope people can go back to work and start making stuff again, been trying to find a 28” tusamara light husky mount .050 for few months everyone sold out.
Did find a .043 gauge bar and chain for the echo 2411View attachment 887925
Hopefully that will work better and have less chatter.
That was the 261 in the pic Nate. Used that for the small end then grabbed the 462 for the rest. Biggest thing I have found on the flippy caps is keeping the gasket and threads clean. Seems it doesn't take much fine dirt to make them leak. A few guys I know tried the AM caps and had problems with them. The site won't let me see your pics.

Free wood already loaded!
63f533d1582aa511af524fc37cfb52cc.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

CWD is spread deer to deer, EHD is spread by "no see em" flies biting deer.

The first good frost kills the bugs and stops the disease. Dead deer are usually found near water because they get thirsty from it.

Large pockets around here with no deer, but I got lucky, had 5 in sight when I took the doe this year, so that pocket was "spared".

Also, it seemed not to be present up at my property (well North of here).

I

Is that the same thing as CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease?) which is what they call it around here?

It is not CWD, which is now spreading through PA too. (Already answered MechanicMatt above)

As for the deer disease, the farm I hunt wasn’t effected, thank God, but one town over..... my pal found a whole herd dead in a pond. Seems they would go to the water trying to cool themselves down. Sad, I hope it was a one year thing around here!

I think they go to water due to extreme thirst (hence blue tongue) and as a result of the hemorrhaging that is happening internally (the H in EHD)

Sorry for the distraction, and thanks for the actual scrounging pictures that folks are still sharing. I'm on lunch break, but splitting and hauling off the log I'm working. Yesterday I sawed off a nice chunk, and with my limited mechanical tools, I found I could not roll it out of the snow gully. So I sawed it in half and still struggled getting it out so I could finish the cuts.

Follows is a 6 minute video most of which is me grunting on a cant hook trying to roll the log out of the snow surrounding about a minute of actual sawing. The saw was working fine, this old butt, in spite of the extra weight was struggling with the roll:

That was the 261 in the pic Nate. Used that for the small end then grabbed the 462 for the rest. Biggest thing I have found on the flippy caps is keeping the gasket and threads clean. Seems it doesn't take much fine dirt to make them leak. A few guys I know tried the AM caps and had problems with them. The site won't let me see your pics.
Well unless my eyes are playing tricks on me (which could be) the saw in the picture says 462 on the starter? Either way the 261 and 462 are great saws. I see what your saying about just using the 462, seems like I use it more for everything rather than switching to a different size saw. Thanks for the info on the caps.

Well unless my eyes are playing tricks on me (which could be) the saw in the picture says 462 on the starter? Either way the 261 and 462 are great saws. I see what your saying about just using the 462, seems like I use it more for everything rather than switching to a different size saw. Thanks for the info on the caps.
I went back and looked at your post. When I first looked at it and replied it had the quote with the oak and the 261. Now both quotes are there and your pics. Yes that was the 462 in the pic with the ash . No need to make an eye doctor appt. LOL.

As for the deer disease, the farm I hunt wasn’t effected, thank God, but one town over..... my pal found a whole herd dead in a pond. Seems they would go to the water trying to cool themselves down. Sad, I hope it was a one year thing around here!
When something is bleeding internally it gets to a water source dehydration

Latest posts

Back