Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bush for awhile around here. I have 2 hollows and hills that I have to get thru to get to the bush. They are full with snow now and I really don't need any logs or more wood. I'll likely make a path just so I can sneak away for awhile. I put the snow blower on for the first time in 3 or 4 years. I put it on so I can blow snow into a pile for the grandkids to slide down. I usually use a pusher or a power angle blade to move snow. Picture is my pull back blade on the front and blower on the back.

Attachments

• 20210206_101808.jpg
    20210206_101808.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210206_101804.jpg
    20210206_101804.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Nice! Great pictures Steve! Not sure about saw cluttering up the picture though, lol.
Alright I have to admit the 462 is actually my favorite saw. Sthil don’t like the fuel/ oil caps but other than that it’s really a great saw. My older one both caps were leaking, tried some aftermarket ones, lasted about a month. Decided to get Sthil ones, had a set saved in my cart, went to order couple days later-sold out, most places were, finally found a single one, they had 2 in stock so ordered it real quick View attachment 887941blue o ring on this one maybe it will be better. Hope people can go back to work and start making stuff again, been trying to find a 28” tusamara light husky mount .050 for few months everyone sold out.
Did find a .043 gauge bar and chain for the echo View attachment 8879422411
Hopefully that will work better and have less chatter.
Can you order a 3003 mount and use an adapter, may need a 92 or 93dl chain, or to relieve the front of the slot a bit depending on the brand of bar.

I finished off the cypress stumps today I've been meaning to get back to. They were all down to the last round above ground.

7th Feb 1.jpg

There was stihl a decent amount of wood in them a bit more than I realised.

7th Feb 2.jpg

7th Feb 3.jpg

Ended up with three loads in the Ranger.

7th Feb 4.jpg

The bits stacked on the pallets are the leftovers from last week's noodling project, the new stuff in front.

7th Feb 5.jpg

Our "Big Storm" didn't amount to much. About a foot of fluffy snow, a brisk NW wind and Temps in the single digits. Not even worth mentioning compared to past winters.View attachment 888131

What kind of snow chains are those?

I have a similar lawn tractor with the John Deere chains and they are frigging awful to deal with. Takes longer than swapping the mower and snowblower, and even so they never stay on right.

Can you order a 3003 mount and use an adapter, may need a 92 or 93dl chain, or to relieve the front of the slot a bit depending on the brand of bar.
Thanks yeah that’s a good idea. Been looking into that, sure would be nice to have a bar that would work for either saw and chains the same length. I like tusamara better but looking at a sugi 28” looks like they actually have an extra adjuster hole for use on huskys and I already have the adapter :).

I
What kind of snow chains are those?

I have a similar lawn tractor with the John Deere chains and they are frigging awful to deal with. Takes longer than swapping the mower and snowblower, and even so they never stay on right.

I purchased the blower and chains aftermarket. They were Chinese pos's ordered to fit the tire size. If memory serves me right, I still had to cut them down to get them to fit how I like.

In the 28" bar length, the Stihl light bar is far lighter than the Sugi. (I have both). Sugi's are very rugged, but I have not had any issues with the Stihl bars.

May not matter much on a heavy powerhead, but on a light power head it will result in a very nose heavy saw. I'll use the Sugi on the 460 or 660, but not on the Hybrids, 044 or 462s.

I

I purchased the blower and chains aftermarket. They were Chinese pos's ordered to fit the tire size. If memory serves me right, I still had to cut them down to get them to fit how I like.

Yeah, I had to add springs and quicklinks to the JD ones, and they still slide off sideways under heavy use.

In the 28" bar length, the Stihl light bar is far lighter than the Sugi. (I have both). Sugi's are very rugged, but I have not had any issues with the Stihl bars.

May not matter much on a heavy powerhead, but on a light power head it will result in a very nose heavy saw. I'll use the Sugi on the 460 or 660, but not on the Hybrids, 044 or 462s.
Yeah thanks for input Mike, that’s why I haven’t bought one yet, I really like the light bars and sounds like sugi is good but not much lighter than regular bar and uses a different tip than my tusamaras. That’s one of the biggest things I like about the 462 is the light weight, don’t really want a heavier bar on it. Hardware store has a Sthil light but it’s like $160, I can get a sugi shipped for $126.

Any thoughts on replacement bars for Stihls? Just did a quick search for 28"-30" on ebay and came up with Forester, Laser, Oregon and Holtzforma.
Any of them any good?
I only have experience with Oregon and forester, Oregon bars I’ve had didn’t last very long , seems to be softer metal. Forester is good/ better in my experience, I have one of their platinum bars and it’s been one of the best bars I’ve owned especially for the price, but the platinum only goes to 24” I think.

Yeah, I had to add springs and quicklinks to the JD ones, and they still slide off sideways under heavy use.
I cut mine down to were you must deflate the tires and still fight to get them on. They seem to stay trouble free for the entire season that way.
I run chains on all 4 corners of my 4-wheeler in the winter also. They are all cut down to fit the same way, and I weave a tarp strap across the outer edge in a star pattern to keep them tensioned.

Back