Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of snow chains are those?

I have a similar lawn tractor with the John Deere chains and they are frigging awful to deal with. Takes longer than swapping the mower and snowblower, and even so they never stay on right.

I've been using the rider mower woth chains (J Deere) to haul small trailer fulls of wood from the splitter to the pile all winter. Really haven't had any snow to speak of but the ground was white this morning, very thin layer. 2 days ago I got a bit enthusiastic and started hotrodding between splitter and stack. Threw both chains. Out this morning and found that little machine did a gfood jkob with turf tires hauling loads although I did cut the load size down.

I have my hometown (Northwestern Illinois) weather on my phone. I checked Sunday morning. I think it was -11 there, 38 here in northwestern Georgia. Almost 50 degrees difference. Wind chill both places, but lost more degrees there. My brother reports that his brother-in-law in Freeport Illinois reported -17. There are other times when it is warmer there but this isn’t one of them.

Yea, but no use bringing it on sooner than you need to.

I'm 68 and I can still go sleigh riding with my Grandkids, and show them how we used to run and jump on the sled we were holding waist high ... PRICELESS!

You do have influence on the amount of time between being born and checking out.

As for the deer disease, the farm I hunt wasn’t effected, thank God, but one town over..... my pal found a whole herd dead in a pond. Seems they would go to the water trying to cool themselves down. Sad, I hope it was a one year thing around here!
We've had a couple out breaks. Maybe 20 years ago and then again 6-7 years ago. Didn't hit our side of the mountain, but my neighbor said he had friends that found upward of 20 on their place, last time.

Sorry to hear Matt, but the best way to prevent something like that from happening is to stay in shape year round so you don't get a heart attack from shoveling some snow.
doc I used to have..went to see him at the end of one day..still was breathing hard,,id just got done shoveling a 30 ft by 60 ft area...he asked me what id been doing,,i told him, he said you wanna die???? he said oxy in winter is lower, your bent over, decreasing air intake, and increasing load on back..at that time, there was a doctors survey said how many dided or a heart atack in winter... young and dumb, never thought of it, as it had to be shoveled...…...next day I bought a used ariens snow blower!!!!!!!!!

Blimey. I didn't check the thread for 2 or 3 days and it took the rest of the week to catch up again!

I think milling should be looked at as more of a hobby than a business if someone is going to drop $$$ into a band mill.

Sort of like some of us who (cough) have five digit investments into saws, splitters, trailers, skidding equipment, etc so we can save $1500 a year on heating costs.
Yep!

Being on mains gas is taken a while to cover the costs of my stoves, my installs, and my axes and saws etc. After 4.5 years I reckon I'm now even. Stoves will need £50-£100 of replacement parts by the end of this winter but I'll be in profit, I'll have 2 years of wood CSS and it's all gravy from now on.

What weight oil ya run in that thing Jere. :laugh: Glad we haven't seen 10* this year so far.

Quoting again Mr. Steve - getting closer, this morning it was 12° with an 8° Real Feel when Scout and I set out to take our morning hike, interrupted by shoveling out this same log and the quarters awaiting splitting:

IMG_8866.jpg

But, much nicer this afternoon after I pushed the edges of my driveway snow back again in prep for a couple inches a day for the rest of the week (according to the weather guessers). Closer to 30° Scout and I split those quarters, the Fiskars handles these nice red oak quarters like slicing grandma's pumpkin pie:

IMG_8872.jpg

Our "Big Storm" didn't amount to much. About a foot of fluffy snow, a brisk NW wind and Temps in the single digits. Not even worth mentioning compared to past winters.View attachment 888131
you need a new seat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,baaaaaaaaddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting again Mr. Steve - getting closer, this morning it was 12° with an 8° Real Feel when Scout and I set out to take our morning hike, interrupted by shoveling out this same log and the quarters awaiting splitting:

View attachment 888302

But, much nicer this afternoon after I pushed the edges of my driveway snow back again in prep for a couple inches a day for the rest of the week (according to the weather guessers). Closer to 30° Scout and I split those quarters, the Fiskars handles these nice red oak quarters like slicing grandma's pumpkin pie:

View attachment 888303
Only got down to 14 here Jere. Was a great day for cutting and splitting. Hoping the guessers are wrong the rest of the week.

I've been lazy and fed up with the latest lockdown and the appalling wet wet wet weather, and not touched any wood since mid December. Still got half of the last lot oak strewn on the front lawn and the half I have moved is just heaped beside the stack in the back garden. Haven't run a saw in many months and still have the stuff that needs bucking left to do from the scrounge before! I have a reason to get on with it now as I got a text from one of the tree services that gives me wood. Next month he says he is taking down a 'huge' oak near me and it's all mine, a couple of truck loads he reckons. That'll likely be a couple of cord. If it is, I'll have had a productive year, scrounging a good 8 cord since this covid thing kicked off and nearly all of that delivered. I normally burn a little over 2 and supply mum about one, although with working from home all winter I've already burnt 2.5 and since we've snow on the ground again I'm burning fast. I could well burn 4 this winter. Still, I'll be a year ahead of where I was same time last year. To think I worried lockdown might curtail my scrounging/the work of the tree service I used to use exclusively. There are a few positives to this ****ed up year we've had.

Sorry to hear Matt, but the best way to prevent something like that from happening is to stay in shape year round so you don't get a heart attack from shoveling some snow.
He was driving back from the hardware store to Mikey’s shop, pulled into the Walgreens parking lot, threw the truck in park and was dead.

Yea, but no use bringing it on sooner than you need to.

You do have influence on the amount of time between being born and checking out.
My great uncle was near to 90 when he passed away after shoveling the drive at his house in town. Lots of people said that he shouldn't have been doing that. My grandpa (his younger brother) vociferously argued that he needed to live his life and if that's what he wanted to do, then that *IS* what he should have been doing. He was successful farmer and probably in shape for much of his life (maybe just a little too fond of dinner), but not as much when he moved off the farm. Was he in shape to shovel at that point? Maybe not. But my grandpa's view seemed that was a much better way to go than in a hospital bed a year or two later. Or worse, even earlier from just sitting in his chair.

I'm sorry to hear about your buddy, Matt.

Latest posts

Back