Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow mainewoods ... make sure that stent has settled into place real well before you start flailing around those arms.

Fixed the clutch on my 346xp today. I've been looking for another excuse to buy a new saw but that little beast just keeps on kicking.

All you guys with tons of snow this season, we really need some steady snowfall in the mountains here - got bit by a mosquito yesterday while basking in the sun :crazy2:

You guys want to chip in and get Clint one of these

smart-log-splitter.jpg

Or one of these

b1de065f832143379f10faf1a08e1718_large.png

So he can do some more one handed splitting .
Shhhh , don't tell him ...

12 lbs! Nice. One hand splitting, yous a bad man sir. No way I could do that.

4' of something going up my vein, no thanks. No more soda for me.

2' feet of snow here would be a state wide emergency.

Two feet of snow here would mean it had gotten wicked cold, so, it would most likely be a mass casuality event. Car wrecks, people burning fires in sinks and bath tubs and waste baskets, every water pipe froze and broken, out of control fires then, all the electric out from downed trees and lines, and mucho etc, etc.

Of course, if one had a snowmobile, you could make some nice coin being a taxi...HAHAHAHAHA!

Just as soon as I am medically cleared , I am dropping a bunch of sugar maple before the sap starts flowing. Darn good cardio cuttin' wood in 2 feet of snow( the snow pack has finally started to settle some).

Wish we had some here, I miss making syrup. Never made a lot, couple gallons a year or so from a big hard maple in the front yard, but man, it sucked down the wood to keep the sap boiling.

Maybe you got a friend up there would like to vampire those trees out for sugar? Like 20 taps on one tree? Then cut them down later?

When I was up there, I had a thought, what a wonderful beverage alternative to pop, just tap, pasteurize and bottle it. As-is, it's sweet enough fresh tapped. Eliminate that whole boiling it down to concentrate it step, and serve a different market, competition for the flavored bottled water products.

Not much effort went into it. Frozen solid ash splits when you just look at it. Can't be much worse than going up and down stairs, like the cardio therapist suggests. Maybe I'm "self diagnosing" again.:D

lol - if you had any damage, it will take time to heal. You may be lucky as you got blood thinned down pretty quick, so recovery will be shorter than full on heart attack where the heart muscle had significant damage. That's why they say carry aspirin and chomp a couple at first sign of heart attack - Aspirin thins the blood fast.

Think of it like any muscle, if oxygen got cut off, it had cell damage, and that takes time to heal properly - but unlike a butt cheek or leg muscle, when the heart muscle has been damaged, the whole body is affected and will just say NO-F'ING-WAY BUDDY to anything that is too much for it to handle! :surprised3:

Push ups or any major pushing movement are a definite no-no until things are well healed! This is one time when you definitely don't want to rush into doing too much too fast. Gentle walks is advise I got, increasing length and speed a little each day to your tolerance. Resist the desire to push the envelope hard. Give it time to rest and heal.

Speaking of manly man derails, here's one.

My grandpa had an Italian friend who joined the mob in the 30's. A few years later he came through town on the run as he crossed the mob. He literally had about 50 Bulova and similar watches (ie "Hey kid, wanna buy a watch?"). He gave two of them to my grandpa.

A few years later the mob caught up to him out in Colorado. Guy walks into the bar he was working at and shoots him point blank. He jumped over the bar and strangled his assailant to death before he died.

So , 2 bottles , I'm good :)
About that recovery thing and restrictions , did I ever tell you guys about a fellow that had a 0% weight bearing restriction and how he bought 2 full size watermellons while on crutches ????? Or the fellow that just got off of restrictions but still needed a cane to walk with went up a ladder and did some patching on a roof the day before torrential rains came or go cut some fence posts with a handsaw in one hand and a cane in the other ???

Seeing the topic went to syrup a few pages back, has anyone tried hickory syrup? I tried some couple weeks ago and it wasn't bad. I heard it is made using the bark of the hickory.

My hickory here, shagbark, it's the dark oily heartwood that has that wonderful bacon/smoky smell to it. But, never tapped one, no idea what the raw sap in a big bucket would be like.

Back