Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No GTG for me, too far away. I'd have about 6 hours of drive time round trip and I dont plan on staying over night. I wish there was something a little more central located. No way I'd host one, seems like a big waste of firewood to me, whole bunch of guys cutting cookies for 2 days out of nice hard wood... I wish I had firewood as good as they are waisting. :rolleyes:

BTW, just scored a nice Husqvarna 285CD from the trading post. Pics when it arrives.

No GTG for me, too far away. I'd have about 6 hours of drive time round trip and I dont plan on staying over night. I wish there was something a little more central located. No way I'd host one, seems like a big waste of firewood to me, whole bunch of guys cutting cookies for 2 days out of nice hard wood... I wish I had firewood as good as they are waisting. :rolleyes:

BTW, just scored a nice Husqvarna 285CD from the trading post. Pics when it arrives.
marshy,,,the gtg I go to,,alllll the things created there,,get used,,as firewood by the property owners..................................its 6 hrs round trip for me,,and I find it to be ok distance. there are people at it, from a 8 hr drive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ONE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to go, just highly doubt I'll get a green flag from the wife to have a family free day to go play with chainsaws "with people who I barely know". I already know the look I'd get trying to explain that one, I've seen it before.

I'm sure the wood still gets burnt but a lot is waisted in making chips. I guess thats the cost of having fun...

You got to admit that kids just don't go out and play like they used to. We used to drink soda and eat ice cream & still stay thin. Now, they sit in the living room, and they are playing a game with another kid who also stayed in his home.

We rode bikes, played kickball & running bases & kick the can. We built tree forts in the woods, there was never a dull moment. And we burned a lot of calories.

Very true. I would high tail it out of the house after breakfast and be gone until lunch. Basketball, football, tag, etc all in the same day. Rode my heavy ass cruiser bike everywhere and lived on the top of a steep hill so of course there were routine races to see who could pedal up it the fastest. I don't remember drinking a lot of sodas though. We were poor as hell so lots of water lol.

I don't really think it's about exercising. I've seen fat road bike riders all done up in the latest tighty wighty bike shorts/shirts riding super duper expensive bikes. Why don't they all look like Lance Armstrong? There's fat people doing manual labor jobs. How can that be possible!? Without the proper diet all else means nothing. Researchers have tested diets that restrict calories consumed. Subjects experienced modest weight loss then gained the weight right back. Read about the Women's Health Initiative. One of the largest and most expensive trial ever conducted. Almost 50k women enrolled and 20k randomly chosen. They ate a low fat diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and fiber. After SEVEN years they lost an average of ONE pound each! Their waist circumference actually increased. Reviews of physical activity for weight loss has been shown to be ineffective.

There was a book written way way back in 1825 that stated carbs are what makes people fat. It was supposedly common knowledge until around the late 1950s when Ancel Keys conducted his Seven Countries study. The American Hearth Association took up the banner along with Congress even though the evidence was lacking. The USDA published the first edition of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans that told us to eat less fat and more carbs. This recommendation, made in 1980, is now shown to be the beginning of the obesity epidemic.

sew their mouth shut,,and see if they lose weight................

That would definitely work. I may not be able to scrounge or see the results of their weight loss if I do that though.

I like the T25 ab ripper video, I don't fallow any of the diet cr@p, eat what ever I want. But do the ab video, gotta keep the stomach strong to protect the back. That video is intense. My SIL is a personal trainer and loves the beachbody programs, wife does them and the brazilian butt lift video, wife cracks me up, does two videos a day then asks me to bring home a snack on my way home.....

Looks like we're the same age. Have you tried deadlifts? I used to do a lot of crunches/ab work but my lower back was still a weak link. Probably because of muscle imbalances or just the fact that I've never concentrated on it. Deadlifts has solved my back ailments. That lift will strengthen your whole core.

Any of you guys use an IR thermometer to measure stove top temps and check for air leaks in your home? There's a deal on one for $13 and I'm about to buy it.

Don't be tryin to derail this thread.

This thread is about diet and exercise.

I'd like to get one of those, especially for finding heat loss areas.

I borrowed one that had the ability to take pictures. The time stamp is wrong...
View attachment 408794

Nice!!! Okay I'm holding out for one like that. Have no idea why the hell I need to take IR pics but I feel like the Predator looking at that.

Never mind. They seem to be a few hundred dollars. Way too much for me.

I don't know, I'm a pretty big dork. I may think that's cool for a long time. What exactly am I looking at? Guessing it's a stove lol. Just wondering because the exit/exhaust pipe has a weird angle.

My woodstove. It has a side exit and has about a 30* slope up to the flue about 6' away. If you look closely in the darp area you can see the outline of my dog.

Here is the oil boiler and a circulator pump running.
IR_0661.jpg

Yep, which is why exercise isn't that effective with reducing weight. You have to spend a ton of time doing it. Also, vigorous exercise will increase your appetite. That's probably where they got the phrase "work up an appetite." How long is the damn government/health agencies going to champion the eat less fat/salt, exercise more slogan and stand back while the nation gets heavier and heavier!?

Diet is king. The right exercise helps build muscle. Muscle burns calories. To that point when I was lifting heavy a lot in my early 20's I ate tons of protein and veggies and my weight was right around 200lbs. The day I started exercising and was fat I weighed 200lbs. 6 months later I still weighted 200lbs but my body composition was very very different. Interesting how that works. To that point exercise and diet are the key to staying healthy. Individually they help but nothing of value really happens unless you put the two together.

Nah, keep on going. You have at least another full day to go before you surpass the maple syrup derail. :D

I missed the maple syrup derail. Wish I would have been checking in for that one.

I like the T25 ab ripper video, I don't fallow any of the diet cr@p, eat what ever I want. But do the ab video, gotta keep the stomach strong to protect the back. That video is intense. My SIL is a personal trainer and loves the beachbody programs, wife does them and the brazilian butt lift video, wife cracks me up, does two videos a day then asks me to bring home a snack on my way home.....

The whole T25 program is great. Doing the entire program not just one video helps balance out muscle imbalances. I have yet to finish an entire workout without doing the modified version of one of the exercises.

On a side note this is the first time I have used multi-quote and it is pretty slick.

Latest posts

Back