Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
urgh ticks I hate the things. I haven't had any attach but I have had more than a few that I caught crawling on me. Creeps me out for days. I usually pick them up during hunting season. Spring turkey and bow/rifle hunting here are the worst. Opening day of rifle last year I had one crawling on my hand and the other one crawled across the screen on my phone while I was browsing the web in the deer woods.

I think everyone hates those things. Those bastards love me. Mosquitoes too. I am a freaking tick and mosquito magnet. I'll go walking with co-workers during lunch just to stretch my legs and give my heart some exercise. This past summer I would routinely come back to find a little nasty tick crawling on my socks. This coming tick season I'm going to go all out on permethrin. Read the U.S. military did some tests to find the most effective mosquito and tick prevention. Supposedly permethrin and DEET provides close to 100% protection. The permethrin sounds great because it actually kills the bastards and stays active on your clothes up to two weeks. DEET concentration of around 50% seems to be the best bet and anything more does not provide increased protection. I'll test both out soon.

lmao. Damn I just walked, touched, and did some Tarzan action on those vines yesterday. Jeez I need to figure out how to positively identify poison ivy. Good thing I don't seem to be allergic to it.

Nice uniform cut lengths.
15 1/2 - 16 1/2 inches no more, no less. :laughing: thanks to the MEASURING stick.:rock2:

Welcome back Ambull

Nah, I've been keeping tabs on this thread the whole time. Just been a bit sick this past week. My kids (I guess kids in general) are a walking germ/bacteria dump. They are constantly sick. I don't usually get sick but something has been kicking my ass since Saturday or Sunday. You're probably like me, the normal guy. Hate going to see the doctor and become little babies when we get a cold lol. Well I think I need antibiotics so I'm finally going to see the doc if I can find one that accepts new patients.

15 1/2 - 16 1/2 inches no more, no less. :laughing:

One inch variation is acceptable. I'm going to cut tomorrow through Sunday. Hopefully I have enough strength to do it. This cold has really kicked my butt.

urgh ticks I hate the things. I haven't had any attach but I have had more than a few that I caught crawling on me. Creeps me out for days. I usually pick them up during hunting season. Spring turkey and bow/rifle hunting here are the worst. Opening day of rifle last year I had one crawling on my hand and the other one crawled across the screen on my phone while I was browsing the web in the deer woods.

Oh snap, check this out:

http://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/en...TreatedArmyCombatUniforms(ACUPermethrin).aspx

That sounds awesome but I'm guess I still have the older, untreated uniform. It's kind of amazing how the permethrin treatment stays active the whole service life of the uniform. I wish there was a civilian equivalent. Maybe something geared toward scrounges/woodcutters. Sell it in a "Beginner Scrounger Pack" that comes with pro forest helmet system, chaps, gloves, and permethrin coated pants.

I wish there was a civilian equivalent.

If you Google 'insect resistant clothing permethrin' you will find a bunch. The brand names 'Sawyer' and 'Insect Shield' come up a lot.

I rather just cut alongside you - as a 'freaking tick and mosquito magnet' you could just draw them away from me without the use of chemicals . . . .

Philbert

If you Google 'insect resistant clothing permethrin' you will find a bunch. The brand names 'Sawyer' and 'Insect Sheild' come up a lot.

I rather just cut alongside you - as a 'freaking tick and mosquito magnet' you could just draw them away from me without the use of chemicals . . . .

Philbert

Insect Shield looks good. I saw the Sawyer spray bottle in Walmart a while ago and plan on using it if I don't find some pre-treated clothing that ignites my buy impulse.

Hopefully with the permethrin and DEET you will be the tick and mosquito feast. I've had enough bites. Even had a reaction to a tick bite that looked very similar to the telltale "bulls eye" indicator. Turn out it was STARI from a lone star tick.

Actually, I'm about to call my supply sergeant and see if I can acquire some permethrin treated uniforms for free.

If you Google 'insect resistant clothing permethrin' you will find a bunch. The brand names 'Sawyer' and 'Insect Shield' come up a lot.

Philbert
I'm the last guy that insects will bite as long as there are others in the vicinity. Which works out well as long as I am not alone.

Nah, I've been keeping tabs on this thread the whole time. Just been a bit sick this past week. My kids (I guess kids in general) are a walking germ/bacteria dump. They are constantly sick. I don't usually get sick but something has been kicking my ass since Saturday or Sunday. You're probably like me, the normal guy. Hate going to see the doctor and become little babies when we get a cold lol. Well I think I need antibiotics so I'm finally going to see the doc if I can find one that accepts new patients.

I hear you. With 5 kids I just plan to fight every cold and flu imaginable. I got a cold in mid November and carried it all the way through to the start of allergy season. Had a couple bouts of flu along the way too.

I've heard that by the time your youngest child gets to around 4th grade you are pretty much immune to every bug out there. Only 8 more years until that......

Hey, went through almost all of tax season w/o getting anything, and a lot of my clients were sick! Some even re-scheduled their appts and were still sick!

The large PI vines will be very hairy, so don't swing on those.

You can test them by skinning the vine, rubbing your hand on it, then rubbing your crotch! You may not post for a while!

lmao. Damn I just walked, touched, and did some Tarzan action on those vines yesterday. Jeez I need to figure out how to positively identify poison ivy. Good thing I don't seem to be allergic to it.
The "furry" vine is a dead give away when there are no leaves. They ususlly are attached to the trunk not just hanging in the wind like a normal vine. Plus they seem to break fairly easy and wont hold body weight unless they are relatively large. Your first interaction might not be hardly anything but its like any allergc reaction, once the body acssociates with it any future interactions become more pronounced.

Don't get over confident about about not having a reaction to it. I never reacted to it in 44 years.....45th year, BAM!! Got it twice in the same year. Hate that stuff.

I just cut down a big cottonwood that was full of PI.
I forgot to untuck my shirt tail and got it pretty good on my waistline, behind and in my ears and as usual my wrists top of th gloves.
Chad
Yep, that was my last enlightening experience with it. Except I had it bad on my legs down by my boot cufs. Had to get a steroid for it. Dont phuck with cutting it. I thought I was smart about cutting it but then the following day I split my rounds and loaded my truck and thats when the saw dust got blowing around and covered me. Not so much the first day of cutting it but splitting it and throwing it on the truck which was up wind. Doh!

Fels-naptha soap! Shower with it as soon as you think you have been exposed to PI. It cuts through and washes away the PI oils that normal shower soaps don't. I also add some flakes of the soap when I wash my scrounging work cloths as it gets the PI oils and oil in general out of clothes. Try it, it works.

Back