Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never given any thought to PI when cutting in the woods. I guess that's one of the benefits of living in paradise!;)

Guess everyone's vision of paradise is different because you have way too much snow for my liking. I've always envisioned paradise to mean white sandy beaches, clear cool ocean, gentle breeze, the smell of sunscreen, cold beer, and great food. Man I miss Hawaii.

I'm off to cut some wood in the rain. I haven't read all the previous posts. Are you still scrounging?

Fels-naptha soap! Shower with it as soon as you think you have been exposed to PI. It cuts through and washes away the PI oils that normal shower soaps don't. I also add some flakes of the soap when I wash my scrounging work cloths as it gets the PI oils and oil in general out of clothes. Try it, it works.
I'll have to look into it. I typically wash up with Permatex automotive hand cleaner (no abrasive) and dial liquid degreaser dish soap. That strips nearly all the oils out of your skin.

Just a little side not observation on the PI, I notice that I am more vulnerable where my skin has not been exposed to the sun. For example, I will often get it on the inside of my arm, but not on the outside (where I have a little tan). I'm not saying you can't get it everywhere, just you are move vulnerable on the untanned skin.

And washing off soon after you may have been exposed also helps. Conversely, you can easily get it from your gloves the next time you use them. Seems to help to get a different pair and let the first pair sit for a while. Time cures a lot of things.

Just a little side not observation on the PI, I notice that I am more vulnerable where my skin has not been exposed to the sun. For example, I will often get it on the inside of my arm, but not on the outside (where I have a little tan). I'm not saying you can't get it everywhere, just you are move vulnerable on the untanned skin.

And washing off soon after you may have been exposed also helps. Conversely, you can easily get it from your gloves the next time you use them. Seems to help to get a different pair and let the first pair sit for a while. Time cures a lot of things.

You can wash gloves like the atlas ones. They make summer weight and winter weight.

Well, I'm not wastin any time ... gonna take a nice size Maple down on 4/17, so I will have one day to make sure all my equipment is ready!

It is out in the open now, 50' from a house, but it must have grown in the woods, there are no low branches, but a lot of nice trunk.

Will be good to get back out with a saw again.

34445ce617e420d66622e8780bc0c97b.jpg

Well, I'm not wastin any time ... gonna take a nice size Maple down on 4/17, so I will have one day to make sure all my equipment is ready!

It is out in the open now, 50' from a house, but it must have grown in the woods, there are no low branches, but a lot of nice trunk.

Will be good to get back out with a saw again.
I wish i could take a break.....off today for a dentist appointment but i really could use a vacation.

My Dad uses bleach on PI when he gets it. Says it drys it out and gets the oil out of the skin...

I use bleach after I open the blisters. I scrub the area with a bleach soaked rag and a few minutes later I scrub the same area with soap to wash off the bleach. If I do not wash off the bleach it will cause an irritation of its own so the discomfort continues.

Chris, R U working 7 days a week? I even have an appt on Easter!
No..... Usually just 5 but winter sucks. We just finished up a huge job trimming city trees along side streets all winter long, it was all bucket work (2 bucket trucks, articulating boom lift, 2 chip trucks, mini skid and 6 guys behind us) so it went fast but it was a whole city. No climbing just raising the canopy and taking out the dead wood but working in below zero temps really wears on you. We'll be working 6 days now that spring is here and with storms coming 7 days isn't out of the question. We do work for the State, 5 counties, not sure how many cities as well as residential work.

Back