Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a Beautiful shot Mountain!

That 562 must feel real nice with that lighter bar on it. Looks like you are putting it to some good use!

Thanks MMike ... glad you like.
Such a treat to get out and enjoy nature/working up a good sweat - you know you've earned your lunch :)

The 562xp is just a fantastic saw for my needs. Light enough yet nothing slows it down. Love using it!

I've got some splitting to do. Enjoy your day.

All of them came out in my arms or on my shoulder. Not much left though.

Dude you carried all that out by hand!!? Yous a bad mofo. I use a wheel barrow with one broken handle to haul rounds through the woods, throw the pieces over a ditch, then load them into my poor man's truck. Couple of hours doing that and I start getting clumsy from fatigue. I'm no match to your scrounging prowess.

I wanted to scrounge this past weekend but chickened out. Still haven't bought myself the permethrin spray. I'm not going back into the woods without it lol.

Dude you carried all that out by hand!!? Yous a bad mofo. I use a wheel barrow with one broken handle to haul rounds through the woods, throw the pieces over a ditch, then load them into my poor man's truck. Couple of hours doing that and I start getting clumsy from fatigue. I'm no match to your scrounging prowess.

I wanted to scrounge this past weekend but chickened out. Still haven't bought myself the permethrin spray. I'm not going back into the woods without it lol.
Way too many rocks to roll a wheelbarrow out there. I would never work that hard for aspen if it wasn't on my property.

Hey, fix the wheelbarrow. I put new handles on one this year. Fun getting the rusted bolts out. When I reassembled, I used a lot of washers to give everything a bigger bite.

And I should have made the handles, instead of buying them. But when I reacted to the price, they reduced it a bit, so I took them.

Using a wheelbarrow with a broken handle is just a waste of time.

Hey, fix the wheelbarrow. I put new handles on one this year. Fun getting the rusted bolts out. When I reassembled, I used a lot of washers to give everything a bigger bite.

And I should have made the handles, instead of buying them. But when I reacted to the price, they reduced it a bit, so I took them.

Using a wheelbarrow is just a waste of time.
fixed.:laugh:

2015-03-2312.33.54.jpg

Using a wheelbarrow with a broken handle is just a waste of time.

The thing is, my father in-law gave me the wheel barrow for free. He found it on the side of the road somewhere. Worked fine until the air nozzle came off in my hand so I had to buy a new tube. Thought it would be funny to put my dog in the wheel barrow but he freaked out and started kicking. He kicked the wheel barrow over and broke a handle. Handles go for about $16 or so here and they're all much thicker than the other handle. If I replace two handles I may as well buy a new wheel barrow lol. My wheel barrow's handles are attached to the bucket with plastic and I can feel it swaying when I load it up. Definitely not worth spending more money on.

I'm debating on a new steel handled wheel barrow or a Gorilla cart.

I was out trying my new JD submarine scrounger today...scrounged up a lot of wet clay. DIVE DIVE DIVE WHOOP WHOOP

..man, did I sink in, fast.

First tried getting chainhed out with another big tractor, joke, then boss brought his small wide track crawler, even that was spinning tracks. So, pulled the bush hog off, pulled that out to dry land, then the tractor came out, just barely.

Now I know how far I can push it..not that far, that sucker is heavy. The deutz would have rolled over that wet place, I mow it there all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20150616_143737.jpg
    IMG_20150616_143737.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
When I was in the Army, I had a back hoe buried up like that once. I was in such a hole, I could not even pull myself out with the back bucket! We were in a field problem and the poor old engineers were putting in a defense. The grand tank battle was to take place, bright and early, in the morning. It was a Mell of a Hess! I had no radio in that sucker, and everyone else was too busy to notice me gone. I had to spend the night (in the backhoe) stuck in the mud. In the morning at around 430, the LT showed up in a AVLB (bridge launcher) to pull me out. I tried to talk them into letting me sleep a little longer, but the LT insisted that he did not want me squished like a bug when the Abrahams rolled through. So I got back to camp, had bfast, and spent the rest of the day stacking fake concrete mines in the "mine dump". Good Times!

I was out trying my new JD submarine scrounger today...scrounged up a lot of wet clay. DIVE DIVE DIVE WHOOP WHOOP

..man, did I sink in, fast.

First tried getting chainhed out with another big tractor, joke, then boss brought his small wide track crawler, even that was spinning tracks. So, pulled the bush hog off, pulled that out to dry land, then the tractor came out, just barely.

Now I know how far I can push it..not that far, that sucker is heavy. The deutz would have rolled over that wet place, I mow it there all the time.
...whatcha running on that thing, racing slicks? Lol

The thing is, my father in-law gave me the wheel barrow for free. He found it on the side of the road somewhere. Worked fine until the air nozzle came off in my hand so I had to buy a new tube. Thought it would be funny to put my dog in the wheel barrow but he freaked out and started kicking. He kicked the wheel barrow over and broke a handle. Handles go for about $16 or so here and they're all much thicker than the other handle. If I replace two handles I may as well buy a new wheel barrow lol. My wheel barrow's handles are attached to the bucket with plastic and I can feel it swaying when I load it up. Definitely not worth spending more money on.

I'm debating on a new steel handled wheel barrow or a Gorilla cart.
Can't go wrong with either of what ya mentioned as far as a purchase. I've got a True Temper with steel handles, no-flat solid tire, from HD. I bought the 1200 lb capacity Gorilla cart off Amazon last year with the articulating axle, rear dump bed...I probably use the Gorilla cart 3-1 over the wheelbarrow. It will handle any load you can get in it. BTW, if ya get the cart, they sell a set of 'upgrade' replacement wheel bearings on Amazon as well...makes the wheel to axle fit like day and night. Just press out the gimmick bearings that come with it and press new ones in. If no press, a hammer and socket works wonders. IIRC, the 4 bearings were less than $10.

I did end up with a phone call scrounge yesterday after work...friend of mine lost a hickory in his back yard that snapped in the high winds a few days ago. Didn't have my cell with me so I didn't get any pics. He already had it limbed, cut to 16" length rounds, and the small stuff stacked for his little outdoor fire pit. I ended up with a full size p'up load of rounds stacked just shy of the top of the cab. One of the tallest, skinniest hickories I think I've ever seen to not be near any other stand of trees having to compete for canopy/top out room. (Just had to drive the truck parallel to all the cut rounds laying on the ground in a line and load 'em). Nothing of any real big size, trunk was about 18" dia, but hey...for free and cut...don't knock it, what I was always told. It's fresh off the saw so will probably let it do a little dryin before I fool with and split it.

It hit the century mark temperature-wise here in mid Ga yesterday and today as well. Gonna be ballpark the same highs for the next 3-5 days. Factor in the humidity, heat index...feeling about 103-105 right now. I think I'll let the hickory 'age' for a day or thirty. Lol.

Just ain't got a whole lotta motivation to split wood in a hundred degree heat, whether by mechanical means, much less hand splittin.

Can't go wrong with either of what ya mentioned as far as a purchase. I've got a True Temper with steel handles, no-flat solid tire, from HD. I bought the 1200 lb capacity Gorilla cart off Amazon last year with the articulating axle, rear dump bed...I probably use the Gorilla cart 3-1 over the wheelbarrow. It will handle any load you can get in it. BTW, if ya get the cart, they sell a set of 'upgrade' replacement wheel bearings on Amazon as well...makes the wheel to axle fit like day and night. Just press out the gimmick bearings that come with it and press new ones in. If no press, a hammer and socket works wonders. IIRC, the 4 bearings were less than $10.

How does the Gorilla cart fare over rough terrain? Only thing I like about the wheel barrow is its maneuverability. Sucker likes to sink down in mud though and the stupid metal bar brace in the back likes to smack into my shins.

Back