Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dancan: It was 97 degrees here yesterday. You just melt.
J B Weld: The Oak tree you posted a few pages back looks to be a Water Oak. Good Stuff.

David

97+ degrees ,,,,,, I'd rather be burning wood to take the chill out LOL
It was about 80* in full sun at the front of my shop today , nice to look at but I get no enjoyment from working in it .

No doubt with oven temps like that...it hit 100 again today here in mid-Ga...with the heat index it was a pleasant 106. Cookin'...:surprised3:

For real..I still get a lot done, but go slooooowwww. Just keep moving.

Ha! Knocked several hundred lbs of Georgia JD submarine "ballast" off today with the high pressure hydrant hose at the broiler farm.

View attachment 431173
Well my firewood is drying nicely on the roof as pictured...
No doubt with oven/kiln temps like that...it hit 100 again today here in mid-Ga...with the heat index it was a pleasant 106. Cookin'...:surprised3:
Temps in the lower 40's tonight. Still burnin' wood. I'll take it over 90* any day!
I can fully understand that Clint. Been blistering heat and humidity here in mid-Ga. And we ain't seen nothing yet. Around here, wait til August/Sept timeframe...just heat city. Opening day of dove season here is around Labor Day...man I'd rather go buy 10 half chickens and put em on the grill, be done with it. I love shooting em', bacon wrapped dove breasts on the grill, but at some point, ya gotta do the logic. Lol

For real..I still get a lot done, but go slooooowwww. Just keep moving.

Ha! Knocked several hundred lbs of Georgia JD submarine "ballast" off today with the high pressure hydrant hose at the broiler farm.
...wasn't long after my reply, I weedeated, cut the grass here at the house. Ol' heat don't bother me, yard work has to get done. But like ya said, gotta gear it down a little and stay hydrated. I tend to do the one beer to every two big plastic cups of ice water thing. Most times it ends up vice versa, Lol. But everything's good.

Guys, I sampled a little shot of the hickory I got a few days ago...talk about some tough stuff to split, green. I ran a few through my hydro 20-ton dual split as well as the SS HD...the Super Split HD would just slice/cleave it...but the hydro left a stringy little mess to deal with at the end of its stroke, either direction. I think I'm gonna let the rounds bask in the sun for a little. Like the fella Mike in NV...If I could sling it on the shed roof and 'kiln dry', promise ya I could speed up the splittin process. He's got the right idea as far as dryin wood. Lol

Didn't have my weed wacker at the c today so I had to use my sickle and scythe to go where the mower couldn't. That was a good workout.

I scrounged an almost new stainless double sink today. Not sure where I'll use it but too nice to leave it.

Good deal. My theory on the double sink, make a fish cleaning table out of it. If nothing else, regardless of sink depth...build a table top about 2 ft either side, cut out for the sink dimension, buy some Corian counter top (cheap) for each side (fish cleaning/scaling area, so as not to ruin filet knives), screw and silicone it down, then get a y hose to tie both the hot/cold together, to feed it with a water hose (of course you get cold water from either side from a water hose)...I made mine high enough to allow for a shelf under the common, piped together sink drains so to speak, to park a 5-gal bucket underneath to catch the guts, scales, etc. It make a fine fish cleaning station. I cut the legs of mine down and put 5" casters on mine so I could roll it over the yard without any problem and get it far enough away from the shop and back patio when cleaning fish, and still be within plenty reach of a 100 ft water hose.

So, the nice size Black Birch growing into the rock in the background will be Friday's project. Wish that stupid rock were not there, it needlessly complicates things a bit. The tree is not too near the house, but it could reach it, so no mistakes! I'll either be reaching high, or standing on the rock, and I don't like the thought of either scenario. I'll figure it out on Friday, all 4 saws are sharpened, gased, oiled, and ready to go.

Also have to move the Red Oak rounds in the woods over with the Black Birch so when I bring the splitter over it goes nice & fast. That hydro has spoiled me!

On a different note, we have 3 Robin chicks in the nest under the little deck (the one we don't use) in back of the house, and it is not the first year they have nested there. They look like they are too big for the nest already, they should be on their way soon.

The rain let up long enough for me to get a bike ride in today, went up Quaker Ridge to see the horse farms, never get tired of it, and the long climb up really gives you a workout. Then, coming down the twisities is very exhilarating. Hit over 47 MPH today. It is fun!

Attachments

• Wood6-12-15 006.jpg
    Wood6-12-15 006.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
So, the nice size Black Birch growing into the rock in the background will be Friday's project. Wish that stupid rock were not there, it needlessly complicates things a bit. The tree is not too near the house, but it could reach it, so no mistakes! I'll either be reaching high, or standing on the rock, and I don't like the thought of either scenario. I'll figure it out on Friday, all 4 saws are sharpened, gased, oiled, and ready to go.

Also have to move the Red Oak rounds in the woods over with the Black Birch so when I bring the splitter over it goes nice & fast. That hydro has spoiled me!

On a different note, we have 3 Robin chicks in the nest under the little deck (the one we don't use) in back of the house, and it is not the first year they have nested there. They look like they are too big for the nest already, they should be on their way soon.

The rain let up long enough for me to get a bike ride in today, went up Quaker Ridge to see the horse farms, never get tired of it, and the long climb up really gives you a workout. Then, coming down the twisities is very exhilarating. Hit over 47 MPH today. It is fun!
Man, you're gonna have a heap of wood after dropping that birch, with what's already on the ground in the pic. Be some good heat for a long time. Great deal for ya, no doubt.

Happy Birthday guys! I hope the scrounging goes your way all the time, but especially today! :happy:
Yes, Happy Birthday to both and enjoy the day. My birthday was Mon the 15th...only thing I scrounged unfortunately was a day at work, lol. Looks like we got a Gemini overload going on here. ;)

Little food for thought for all scrounging, splitting, stacking, etc., especially this time of the year. After doing some yard work yesterday evening, I started moving some splits that I have stacked on a couple of pallets to under a shed roof where I've got rows of splits. Almost to the bottom of one pallet of the splits...out SHE came...one of the biggest brown widows I've ever seen...and ended up on the wrist cuff of my left hand work glove, another 1/4 of an inch and she'd been on my exposed arm. The abdomen on this thing was easily the circumference of a dime. Knocked her off real quick and she got served the bottom of my shoe. As I pulled a few more splits off the pallet, I found six spikey egg sacks and they got served the same shoe justice. Brown and black widows are every other spider here in the SE it seems, but nowhere the size of this one.

I've never been bit by one, and don't wanna be the test pilot with one either...be mindful and careful of where ya put your hands. I saw no web, egg sacks, nothing telling me she was resident there.

Scrounge on fellas!!

I scrounged this load of pine about a week ago. I don't normally mess with pine but i was kinda volunteered!? But it was somewhat easy, loaded it with the tractor and sawed it on the trailer and rolled it off. Now i have to split it. It has been in the 90's here for two weeks so this may take a while. I have a OWB so mixing the pine with oak and its not bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
I scrounged this load of pine about a week ago. I don't normally mess with pine but i was kinda volunteered!? But it was somewhat easy, loaded it with the tractor and sawed it on the trailer and rolled it off. Now i have to split it. It has been in the 90's here for two weeks so this may take a while. I have a OWB so mixing the pine with oak and its not bad.
Nice. Looks like fairly limb free Norway. That stuff burns close to as good as mid grade hardwood.

Edit: I see you are in North Carolina. Is that long leaf pine?

Latest posts

Back