Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like PA is full of cheaters. Farmer Steve, Mennonites, there's even a restaurant called Cheaters!
just for that remark i hope ya hit your shins on the wheelbarrow brace again. :laughing:

I was out trying my new JD submarine scrounger today...scrounged up a lot of wet clay. DIVE DIVE DIVE WHOOP WHOOP

..man, did I sink in, fast.

First tried getting chainhed out with another big tractor, joke, then boss brought his small wide track crawler, even that was spinning tracks. So, pulled the bush hog off, pulled that out to dry land, then the tractor came out, just barely.

Now I know how far I can push it..not that far, that sucker is heavy. The deutz would have rolled over that wet place, I mow it there all the time.

that's gonna cost ya a lot of quarters at the car wash Zog.:crazy2:

How does the Gorilla cart fare over rough terrain? Only thing I like about the wheel barrow is its maneuverability. Sucker likes to sink down in mud though and the stupid metal bar brace in the back likes to smack into my shins.
Handles very well on rough terrain. 7" one-piece rims with 13" knobby pneumatic tires (I'll overinflate them a little depending on load weight if needed, but haven't really had too but a couple of times). Of course you can't make real crazy, sharp turns with it, if pulling it with a mower/atv, given its short, narrow wheelbase. And I've had some serious weight in this thing many times. Front and rear axles have about 6 1/2" ground clearance. The 'pull by hand ' handle can be unpinned and can hook up to a pin hookup behind a mower,atv (if equipped/set up), etc. The sides and front have 3/4" x 2" x 3" deep stake bed pockets molded into the one-piece cart...can build little stake bed front and sides out of 1 x's and get even more stable load height in it. Like I said, I use it 3 to 1 over the wheelbarrow and can handle more load than the 6 cu ft wheelbarrow can...and ain't gotta worry about tipping it and losing the load like a overfull wheelbarrow. Been there and done that, lol.

The 1200 lb capacity Gorilla cart I have ran about $120. The 6 cu ft wheelbarrow around $75. I'd buy the cart again, no questions, if I had to do it again. If you go the cart route, you won't regret it. Get the better bearings as well. Build the stake sides and front for a few dollars in treated 1 x's, bolts or screws for hardware (I'd run 1/4 bolts with fender washers and nylok nuts personally, and I will when I make mine). BTW, Gorilla makes a larger, same 1200 lb capacity cart than my model (few inches wider and about a foot longer)...but it's around $280. Little much in my book, for a poly yard/work cart. Good luck whichever route you go...cart or wheelbarrow.

Remember that snowblower? I forgot about it unti I drove by it again tonight. And amazingly it was still there!

View attachment 431027

Needs recoil and judging by the smell, a fresh tank of gas.
...that thing might end up the cats meow, for minimal investment and time. Good find.

Looked up the Gorilla cart , sure looks like a real descent and handy yard , garden and scrounging cart .
I know too many people that this is the only cart that they could handle .

911455b7-8413-4455-b9d7-c4e5d63a90bf_400.jpg

When I was in the Army, I had a back hoe buried up like that once. I was in such a hole, I could not even pull myself out with the back bucket! We were in a field problem and the poor old engineers were putting in a defense. The grand tank battle was to take place, bright and early, in the morning. It was a Mell of a Hess! I had no radio in that sucker, and everyone else was too busy to notice me gone. I had to spend the night (in the backhoe) stuck in the mud. In the morning at around 430, the LT showed up in a AVLB (bridge launcher) to pull me out. I tried to talk them into letting me sleep a little longer, but the LT insisted that he did not want me squished like a bug when the Abrahams rolled through. So I got back to camp, had bfast, and spent the rest of the day stacking fake concrete mines in the "mine dump". Good Times!

I had to look up what those are..MAN, every boy needs one! Scrounge right across ..anything!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M60_AVLB

Handles very well on rough terrain. 7" one-piece rims with 13" knobby pneumatic tires (I'll overinflate them a little depending on load weight if needed, but haven't really had too but a couple of times). Of course you can't make real crazy, sharp turns with it, if pulling it with a mower/atv, given its short, narrow wheelbase. And I've had some serious weight in this thing many times. Front and rear axles have about 6 1/2" ground clearance. The 'pull by hand ' handle can be unpinned and can hook up to a pin hookup behind a mower,atv (if equipped/set up), etc. The sides and front have 3/4" x 2" x 3" deep stake bed pockets molded into the one-piece cart...can build little stake bed front and sides out of 1 x's and get even more stable load height in it. Like I said, I use it 3 to 1 over the wheelbarrow and can handle more load than the 6 cu ft wheelbarrow can...and ain't gotta worry about tipping it and losing the load like a overfull wheelbarrow. Been there and done that, lol.

The 1200 lb capacity Gorilla cart I have ran about $120. The 6 cu ft wheelbarrow around $75. I'd buy the cart again, no questions, if I had to do it again. If you go the cart route, you won't regret it. Get the better bearings as well. Build the stake sides and front for a few dollars in treated 1 x's, bolts or screws for hardware (I'd run 1/4 bolts with fender washers and nylok nuts personally, and I will when I make mine). BTW, Gorilla makes a larger, same 1200 lb capacity cart than my model (few inches wider and about a foot longer)...but it's around $280. Little much in my book, for a poly yard/work cart. Good luck whichever route you go...cart or wheelbarrow.

Thanks for the write up Devil Dog. Sounds like I'm going with the Gorilla cart.

Thanks for the write up Devil Dog. Sounds like I'm going with the Gorilla cart.

I have the metal Gorilla dump cart and it is heavy but works nicely behind lawn tractor. But it is heavy and I wouldn't bother taking it on a scrounge. I never have wood that can be put in a little wagon and nicely pulled to the truck. The wheelbarrow works because I only need to figure out out a path to get one wheel through not 4. Do what you like but my gorilla cart only comes out for yard work. I don't even use it to haul wood to the house any more, I use my truck I get more wood in one trip so that takes me less time.

Latest posts

Back