Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A buddy of mine uses it to practice bringing the saw to the wood for racing. Not sure what other use it would have other than to run a piece of equipment or something like a bike.

Are you saying that the live Ash trees up at my property are now Highly Valuable Ash Trees!!! (HVAT)!!!

They are about as light as you can get!

Years ago, my cousin made a bar stool using a combo of Black Cherry heartwood and Ash. The contrast was striking!

Also, do they use Ash for trim much? I have LOTS of trees that are not big diameter but go about 70' straight up w/o a branch!
HVAT LOL..... Where's Gunny at, We need to get him on some Free, delivered, split and stacked HVAT....
Chainsaw motors have been used to power many things: go-karts, gate openers, warning sirens, etc. Even today in forestry they power Lewis winches, log de-barkers, etc.

Philbert
Yeah, like the little debarker attachment you can put on a bar end to get rid of the muddy bark before milling. Wait, that gives me and idea for some of you guys who drag logs out with your wheelie things. New thread popping up.
Yea they had about 300 snowmobiles at the show. Evinrude moto ski John Deere you name it. Some guys were sensitive to pics being taken. So I only got a few. Didn't see any Hondas unfortunately or any McCulloch or Stihl sleds.
Some one else said the same thing, what kind of mental disorder does one have when they bring it to a show, but get bent when someone wants a picture?

We were talking about the husky raker gauges the other day.
The one in the middle has never been heat treated and was the first one I got about 2 years ago. This is the one that stays in my truck saw box. Finally decided to retire it today since it’s worn through to the point of cracking along the edge.

The other two are the ones from my saw shop that get used all the time and have been heat treated. You can see the color difference and almost no wear.

1A1941C1-4C10-4D8F-A95E-0D04C55F3EB6.jpeg

With what brand of machine? I've NEVER had it happen even one time with my Grizzly, deep water and all.

And Yamaha doesn't use the belt for the clutch either, on a Yamaha the belt stays tensioned all the time, it's for the transmission only.

SR
Mostly Polaris. Order ones, but it turned me off to the belt drive even if the new ones are sealed.

Exactly what type of oil🤔 winter grade? 😆 You sure do have a stable of sweet Chevys :numberone:
Not sure I bought the pipes in the summer :innocent:.Still not sure why they oil up Stainless steel pipes may just be for the benders . But they were all slimy had to really clean them to do some welds

This Winter/Spring, I plan on making a removable winch stand/bracket for my small trailer. You'll have to use your imagination in my description. I couldn't find suitable pics to explain everything.

I move my 5'x8' trailer around by hand so I want to keep the weight down. Plus a removable winch stand toward this end. I'll only use the winch once in a while so I want to be able to remove it. I have 1/4" bolt on plates like this on my trailer tongue:
Trailer Plate.jpg
Disregard the square tubing. Then I'll have an upright (vertical) pipe (2"x2" or 2"x3") welded to the plate. A brace like one shown will also be welded to the top plate.
Trailer Upright.jpg
Again disregard the hand winch. On top of the vertical pipe, I'll weld a piece of 2-1/2"x2-1/2" piece of pipe horizontally to act as a hitch receiver.

The electric winch (4500#) will be bolted to a plate welded to a piece of 2"x2" pipe like this:
Winch Plate.jpg
The winch/plate will slide into the horizontal receiver pipe on the upright. It can also be used in the receiver of my truck hitch in case I ever get stuck or need it.

Dimensions are up in the air still. I don't want to build something only to have to redo it. Would a 6" piece of horizontal receiver tube be adequate? Weight and material conservation.

Oh, and pics of your set up would be appreciated.

This Winter/Spring, I plan on making a removable winch stand/bracket for my small trailer. You'll have to use your imagination in my description. I couldn't find suitable pics to explain everything.

I move my 5'x8' trailer around by hand so I want to keep the weight down. Plus a removable winch stand toward this end. I'll only use the winch once in a while so I want to be able to remove it. I have 1/4" bolt on plates like this on my trailer tongue:
View attachment 1046526
Disregard the square tubing. Then I'll have an upright (vertical) pipe (2"x2" or 2"x3") welded to the plate. A brace like one shown will also be welded to the top plate.
View attachment 1046529
Again disregard the hand winch. On top of the vertical pipe, I'll weld a piece of 2-1/2"x2-1/2" piece of pipe horizontally to act as a hitch receiver.

The electric winch (4500#) will be bolted to a plate welded to a piece of 2"x2" pipe like this:
View attachment 1046532
The winch/plate will slide into the horizontal receiver pipe on the upright. It can also be used in the receiver of my truck hitch in case I ever get stuck or need it.

Dimensions are up in the air still. I don't want to build something only to have to redo it. Would a 6" piece of horizontal receiver tube be adequate? Weight and material conservation.

You are on the right track, Necessity is the mother of invention.

View attachment 1046526
View attachment 1046529

View attachment 1046532

So, a winch to winch up rounds? or logs or other stuff? INquiring minds want to know.

So, a winch to winch up rounds? or logs or other stuff? INquiring minds want to know.
My trailer is pretty light weight and from time to time, I run into small logs that I want to have sawn into lumber. So yes, to pull logs into my trailer. Tilt and rollers.

I still have to decide the height of the vertical piece. High enough to put cable over the 12" sideboards of the trailer when bed is tilted?

Ive been wanting to build a skidding trailer for awhile. I have all the stuff, but haven't done it.

It would be powered by a 3 cyl Diesel Kubota generator. Stake pockets along all edges that can be used for sides and have rollers that can drop into them.

Ive got a set of out riggers and I was going to set those up on the Trailer, and use 6" well casing for the mast. I want it to be just as tall as I can get away with and still get around easy enough with it, and a pair of winches up top. Ideally I would run a guide line from the top of the mast too, and hook it up opposite of whatver dierection i was pullling.

Basically build a mini yarder that can be puled behind a pick up and a deck on it to haul the logs.

My trailer is pretty light weight and from time to time, I run into small logs that I want to have sawn into lumber. So yes, to pull logs into my trailer. Tilt and rollers.

I still have to decide the height of the vertical piece. High enough to put cable over the 12" sideboards of the trailer when bed is tilted?
Consider starting a thread asking to see someone elses rig. BUT first thing that comes to mind, its that someone has a traile rig thats a valuable and current contributor, that I want to refer you copy his design. It works best with a GANTRY on the back of the trailer. I say this, because just winching and diccin around with ramps and rollers, particularly singlehanded can be in efficient. Mayeb its Uncle Mustache that has a trailer with rear gantry that pivots rear to front? The idea is that once the log is ready to land on the trailer, it elevates it so it clears the rear deck edge and as you drag it on, it doesnt hang up, no ramps or roller needed.

Someone will be along to clean up my mess here.

Ive been wanting to build a skidding trailer for awhile. I have all the stuff, but haven't done it.

It would be powered by a 3 cyl Diesel Kubota generator. Stake pockets along all edges that can be used for sides and have rollers that can drop into them.

Ive got a set of out riggers and I was going to set those up on the Trailer, and use 6" well casing for the mast. I want it to be just as tall as I can get away with and still get around easy enough with it, and a pair of winches up top. Ideally I would run a guide line from the top of the mast too, and hook it up opposite of whatver dierection i was pullling.

Basically build a mini yarder that can be puled behind a pick up and a deck on it to haul the logs.
I've got your idea and a suggestion too. Give me a minute to eat this delicous Caesar Salad I just made, I dont want it getting warm?

Couple days ago I posted about finally trying skip tooth chain on one of my 372s. Today I decided to see if it actually was cutting faster.

I eyeballed the biggest log in the pile that wasn’t too hard to get to, hooked a chain to it and yanked it out with the truck. Didn’t realize the whole thing was hollow, but it was getting late so I ran with it.

Went ahead and tested a new chain as well just to see how it compared to my sharpened chain.

Both chains were ground the same way, and I set the rakers the same. Both chains are worn about half way.

N

Couple businesses I use it to get through the gate, Couple places I use it on the scale, otherwise I leave it off.
I like to have one in the truck in case I see something happening on someone else's truck, and for backups. I haven't had one in the truck in probably 25yrs, but I was out of the truck for almost 10 lol. I have an almost new 29 classic in the basement, bought it right before they started making them in China.
Chainsaw motors have been used to power many things: go-karts, gate openers, warning sirens, etc. Even today in forestry they power Lewis winches, log de-barkers, etc.

Philbert
New that.
In South America, they are used to power boats...

SR
Didn't know that.
With what brand of machine? I've NEVER had it happen even one time with my Grizzly, deep water and all.

And Yamaha doesn't use the belt for the clutch either, on a Yamaha the belt stays tensioned all the time, it's for the transmission only.

SR
It has a rubber belt, not a chain drive in the trans? Never knew that either.
Guess I'm still alive :).

Do you also call magazines “clips”?

It’s magnanimous to show intellect and respect when posting. To “lol” at common usage of terms that may be different than your own for equipment is rather daft. I’m sure we can pick some colloquial terms you use and “lol” them…
I definitely do not call rifle box magazines or pistol grip magazines "clips", 🤷 but that's me. 😉

KK 😉 I know you appreciate the red bro! Please excuse the low quality pics as I have to take pics of pics on my real old pos ph from about 4 yrs agoView attachment 1045728View attachment 1045729
The utility ATV, or should I say "ATC" that started it all! At least as far as racks and shaft drives are concerned! 👍 I Worked on a ranch out of Homer in the late 90's. They had about four or five Big Reds. They were out dated even back then! Now they are truly classics! 🤷 Maybe even vintage I guess?

Latest posts

Back