Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, my room mate had a 70 429 CJ Torino, Orange, shaker hood, multi colored stripe, 430 locker, 4 speed. Where did those 385 engines fall in the hierarchy of the Ford big blocks? Or were They just too late?
The 385 series big blocks (429/460), the 351 Clevland and Boss 302 heads all had canted valves and were developed after Ford "stole" a GM engineer. They were a little late to the party, coming in at the end of the Muscle Car era.

As a result, they produced great HP, but the heads were a little heavier. Worse for the 385 engines, they had large bores that resulted in long (heavy) blocks, and the cars were never designed for them. As a result, if you fit both a FE motor and a 385 motor against the firewall, the 385 will have a lot more weight in front of the front wheels, which ruins handling and launching (straight line).

To resolve the weight issue, they developed the Boss 429 with aluminum hemi style heads for NASCAR. It was the same weight as a FE motor and made more Hp. They were used in the 1969 Talladega's, but half the racers ripped the 429s out and put the 427s back in because the 429s pushed too much in the turns.

It was much like comparing a 440 to a 426 Hemi (the Hemi was heavier but made more Hp). At the track, with slicks, the Hemi was better, but on the street, take the 440! It is hard to catch a car that out launches you.

For better lubrication. It is in the oil not the gas. Since my truck and tractor do not burn oil it won't affect the cats on them. From what I have read on diesel oil there is still zinc being used in the motor oil unlike automotive oils.
You tractor has a cat? Wasnt talking about the tractor but the levels for zinc and phosphorus have been greatly reduced in diesel oil too.
All engines use oil there is no way around it, it may look fine on the stick but there is no way to eliminate blow by. New cars have roller lifters and rockers which dont need the additive . Flat tappets with stamped rockers needed it specially during break in . The crank/cam bearings dont need it at all .
It's your car but I feel it's a waste of money and could possibly cause problems down the line .
That being said I use this in all my flat tappet vehicles . Screenshot_20230109-110554_Chrome.jpg

Any pics of that 63 427 Galaxy? I presume it is a 4 speed, bench or bucket seats?
4 speed bench seat . I have no pictures of it Black on black original paint but it has that 70s mashed with the 80s look to it Cragers Firestone wide ovals and Super trap mufflers sticking out from under the bumper.

You tractor has a cat? Wasnt talking about the tractor but the levels for zinc and phosphorus have been greatly reduced in diesel oil too.
All engines use oil there is no way around it, it may look fine on the stick but there is no way to eliminate blow by. New cars have roller lifters and rockers which dont need the additive . Flat tappets with stamped rockers needed it specially during break in . The crank/cam bearings dont need it at all .
It's your car but I feel it's a waste of money and could possibly cause problems down the line .
That being said I use this in all my flat tappet vehicles . View attachment 1047466

My tractor has a DPF canister that burns off every 30 - 70 hours depending on the exhaust restrictions inside of it. My Kioti dealer told me to run Sweets HotShots oil additive or some other kind with zinc in it. As an ex mechanic I know that all motors use some oil. Neither of these vehicles are oil burners per say. The reason that I am using it in my RAM is to hopefully prevent a cam and lifter failure in the motor. The Hemis are having issues wiping these parts out. Nobody will take responsibility as to whether is is poor quality parts or piss poor oil lubrication at an idle. My solution was to start running Mobil 1 full synthetic 15 - 50 in my truck with the zinc additive. Owners are complaining of motors ticking when they first start up due to no oil on the cam and lifters. The next thing you read is that they now have a skip in the motor and a wiped out cam lobe or a wiped out roller on a lifter. If I can help to prevent this catastrophic cam/roller failure for cheap money I will. If I lose a cam lobe or lifter roller I'll know that it is a poor quality part that caused it and not from running 0 - 20w or 5 - 20w oil in my motor. I do know about the Chevy 307 cam failures from way back when I first started working on cars for a living.

Replaced the OWB door gasket yesterday. It had been on the list but sat there waiting for a good day to do it. Put up my winter sign the other day. A driver from Amazon called me to ask where to leave a package., I told him to lave it at the top of the driveway. He then came down to the house , English was not his 1st language obviously. He got stuck trying to turn around in his van straight across the driveway. I had to get the tow chains and the tractor to get him out. I would like to think that Amazon would hire drivers that could read English. Not trying to be prejudice but how can they drive without the ability to read a sign. What about a sign saying yield or whatever else.thumbnail.jpg

Replaced the OWB door gasket yesterday. It had been on the list but sat there waiting for a good day to do it. Put up my winter sign the other day. A driver from Amazon called me to ask where to leave a package., I told him to lave it at the top of the driveway. He then came down to the house , English was not his 1st language obviously. He got stuck trying to turn around in his van straight across the driveway. I had to get the tow chains and the tractor to get him out. I would like to think that Amazon would hire drivers that could read English. Not trying to be prejudice but how can they drive without the ability to read a sign. What about a sign saying yield or whatever else.View attachment 1047486
Seems pretty self explanatory enough... Then again seems like people get confused about allot of stuff nowadays. Oh oh @chipper1 id better stop before posts get deleted again ;)

My tractor has a DPF canister that burns off every 30 - 70 hours depending on the exhaust restrictions inside of it. My Kioti dealer told me to run Sweets HotShots oil additive or some other kind with zinc in it. As an ex mechanic I know that all motors use some oil. Neither of these vehicles are oil burners per say. The reason that I am using it in my RAM is to hopefully prevent a cam and lifter failure in the motor. The Hemis are having issues wiping these parts out. Nobody will take responsibility as to whether is is poor quality parts or piss poor oil lubrication at an idle. My solution was to start running Mobil 1 full synthetic 15 - 50 in my truck with the zinc additive. Owners are complaining of motors ticking when they first start up due to no oil on the cam and lifters. The next thing you read is that they now have a skip in the motor and a wiped out cam lobe or a wiped out roller on a lifter. If I can help to prevent this catastrophic cam/roller failure for cheap money I will. If I lose a cam lobe or lifter roller I'll know that it is a poor quality part that caused it and not from running 0 - 20w or 5 - 20w oil in my motor. I do know about the Chevy 307 cam failures from way back when I first started working on cars for a living.
Most likely cheap Chinese parts used . Guessing yours was built under the new Fiat mismanagement.

Replaced the OWB door gasket yesterday. It had been on the list but sat there waiting for a good day to do it. Put up my winter sign the other day. A driver from Amazon called me to ask where to leave a package., I told him to lave it at the top of the driveway. He then came down to the house , English was not his 1st language obviously. He got stuck trying to turn around in his van straight across the driveway. I had to get the tow chains and the tractor to get him out. I would like to think that Amazon would hire drivers that could read English. Not trying to be prejudice but how can they drive without the ability to read a sign. What about a sign saying yield or whatever else.View attachment 1047486
Seems a lot of drivers have no common sense anymore . I had 20 tons delivered to my house told the driver to back up the drive into the area just off the driveway and dump it . This way he wouldn’t get stuck in the mud . But no he drives up the driveway and before I could stop him he backed into the area facing uphill . There was no way I could pull him out . So they had to get a large tow truck here to winch him out .must have cost them more than the delivery . At first they wanted me to pay it but I told them it was all on the delivery instructions and I verbally told him .

Seems a lot of drivers have no common sense anymore . I had 20 tons delivered to my house told the driver to back up the drive into the area just off the driveway and dump it . This way he wouldn’t get stuck in the mud . But no he drives up the driveway and before I could stop him he backed into the area facing uphill . There was no way I could pull him out . So they had to get a large tow truck here to winch him out .must have cost them more than the delivery . At first they wanted me to pay it but I told them it was all on the delivery instructions and I verbally told him .
I cant believe they had the gall to even suggest that you would have to pay to begin with. They are experienced drivers they should know when they can or cannot deliver on your property. Good thing you spelled it out to them on paper so they had no way to contest it.

There's a feller buncher down the road from me a brand new one at that, Been working a few days now. They are stacking popple up like crazy. I will try and get pics when I leave the house again..not sure if landowner is paying or is he getting paid. Not to long ago we couldn't give popple away for free to the guy who logged some land for us. Said the gas and time wasn't worth it. Easy pickens too just pull in driveway and load. Logs were cut to the desired length for mill.

I cant believe they had the gall to even suggest that you would have to pay to begin with. They are experienced drivers they should know when they can or cannot deliver on your property. Good thing you spelled it out to them on paper so they had no way to contest it.
I was getting the gravel because of the mud in the area he backed over and of course with no weight in the bed and going uphill his tires just floated .

This is why I needed the gravel I put drainage tile all around the perimeter and it ended up being about a 10 inch base AA6B6307-BACF-42F3-B0B6-895A5063346F.jpegFDE5BCC0-8F36-4529-8B6C-B8F7D6343E01.jpeg

I was getting the gravel because of the mud in the area he backed over and of course with no weight in the bed and going uphill his tires just floated .

This is why I needed the gravel I put drainage tile all around the perimeter and it ended up being about a 10 inch base View attachment 1047494View attachment 1047496
Looks great now. Bet your happy to have those classics out of the weather.

Agree with what you said. If they did that to me I would tell them that they can get it out and repair my yard or else I have a new lawn decoration.

Just threw 4 splits of HVBW into the wood burner

Highly Volatile Burning Wood ?

Easy pickens too just pull in driveway and load. Logs were cut to the desired length for mill.

If they cut to length logs for the mill, there must be lots of cut-offs and limbs left to scrounge!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back