Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It actually has decent power, maybe my expectations are just a little too high in that regard. The popping is annoying, I'll figure it out eventually.

They bring the fun back to cutting small trees. A 20" cedar missing the top, would be boring to cut with the 500 or even 400. However, it's suddenly fun again with a 40cc saw. Top handles are even more fun, especially when climbing and brushing out a limby conifer. Getting the limbs to swing and do cool stuff never gets old.

Nice find! Interesting that the heartwood is almost indistinguishable from the sapwood. Any plans for the lumber after you mill it?

Good score.
Yup, hard to see the sap ring. Even when
green and fresh. That particular log is already seasoned and will be milled into ceiling planking fir the dressing room in my Banya. It probably won't be enough to do the entire Ceiling, but it should cover more than half. I'll just have to wait fir Poseidan to throw me another bone up onto the beach during some storm in the future. If I'm gonna to get another yellow cedar log to finish the ceiling that is. I've found what look like really nice logs several times 20'-30', but once one bucks all the shake out of it. They are left with a 10 or 12 foot log if their lucky and a saw chain that they dang near have to burn through a brand new file. Just to freshen up the chain again! That yellow cedar shakes and splinters bad on the rocks and then the sand just gets packed in it! Very brittle wood Yellow cedar is! Dense but but brittle.

That’s more highly valuable than highly valuable black walnut!
A fellow cutter I worked with in Southeast Alaska had a yellow cedar about three to four foot across the stump in his strip. The Buyer, Forester and the Bull Buck went out to over see the cut. They made him explain how he intended on felling it and saving it out. It was steep broken ground with lots of stumps to dodge. Apparently that particular yellow cedar was BIG money and VERY highly valuable!🤣 He fell it and saved it out just fine.👍 A few gray hairs later of course! 🤣🤣

Ceiling planking fir the dressing room in my Banya. It probably won't be enough to do the entire Ceiling, but it should cover more than half. I'll just have to wait fir Poseidan to throw me another bone up onto the beach during some storm in the future. If I'm gonna to get another yellow cedar log to finish it that is. I've found what look like really nice logs several times 20'-30', but once one bucks all the shake out of it. They have 10 or 12 foot log if their lucky and a saw chain that they dang near have to burn through a brand new file. Just to freshen up the chain again! That yellow cedar shakes and splinters bad on the rocks and then the sand just gets packed in it! Very brittle wood!
It's a totally different species of tree, but down here we have the incense cedar. Not really rare or even uncommon, but the wood is worth something if there is enough heartwood in it. The live edge guys go gaga over cedar. I've got a particularly nice set of slabs stored away in one of my sheds. 12' long and the center slabs average 30"...I ran them all through a drum sander, one of these days a couple of them will become my dining table.

Here's my only decent incense cedar picture...I was helping a friend with a little logging operation, mostly fir, but the heartwood on this cedar was particularly nice. The thick bark makes it look small, the bark is 3-4" thick in spots...these trees are interesting to climb even with my big 3.5" gaffs.
20211128_150759.jpg.f42dd525fffe05c48173f370f57e0e30.jpg

They look kinda like redwood, although the sapwood isn't as thick on reds:
redwood.jpg

I'm gearing up to retrieve my highly valuable yellow cedar log off the beach today. We had a the war wagon already full of red cedar and OVERLOADED!! Before we found the highly valuable yellow cedar log. So I trimmed it and we rolled it up the beach above the high tide line. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get it on top of and across the trailer length ways to haul it home.🤔 I can't use the skidding arch. It is too long of a haul and too rough a trail. This yellow cedar log is heavy. Twice as heavy as a seasoned Spruce log the same size. I have my work cut out fir me today.👍

Another couple hours in the willow bush. Cleaned up another burn pile, shaved all the sucker wood off a very nice Willow log - probably 1.5 or better cord in it. Then turned to cleaning up a top then blew down. Lots of ?fun? dragging limbs to the burn pile.

Made a mistake as the last thing on thelist. Need to drag a good sized deadfall to the fire pile. half buried in that **** thorn bush. Got truck in position, grabbed chain and walked around truck to the front. Needed to get saw to cut my way through the thorns so I could attach chain. Accomplished dthat and the chain had disappeared!! It had to be in the immediate vicinithy of the truck but not to be found. That happened to me once before. Used chain to pull a log out of the bush into the farmers field. Budday cutting with me. We finished the log and that chain had disappeared. Nice shiny new one that I had jusst bought. I think there is a black hole that follows me around swalling my tools.

Now for the run. I just got my computer back from the guru. I'll see if I can once again download my camera.

Weather has finally turned seasonal, full spring. No more freeze up at nights which means packing the saws, etc in there from the county road. That should keep me amused clearing that thorn grove.

It's a totally different species of tree, but down here we have the incense cedar. Not really rare or even uncommon, but the wood is worth something if there is enough heartwood in it. The live edge guys go gaga over cedar. I've not a particularly nice set of slabs stored away in one of my sheds. 12' long and the center slabs average 30"...I ran them all through a drum sander, one of these days a couple of them will become my dining table.

Here's my only decent incense cedar picture...I was helping a friend with a little logging operation, mostly fir, but the heartwood on this cedar was particularly nice. The thick bark makes it look small, the bark is 3-4" thick in spots...these trees are interesting to climb even with my big 3.5" gaffs.
20211128_150759.jpg.f42dd525fffe05c48173f370f57e0e30.jpg

They look kinda like redwood, although the sapwood isn't as thick on reds:
View attachment 1065565
I have some tongue and groove interior siding milled out of incense cedar in my Banya. Pretty wood! I scored 24sq foot at a garage sale one day fir 20$!👍 I guess the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then?🤷

I have some tongue and groove interior siding milled out of incense cedar in my Banya. Pretty wood! I scored 24sq foot at a garage sale one day fir 20$!👍 I guess the sun shines on a dog's a** every now and then?🤷
I've got some nice cedars on my property. They're worth some money, but they're too nice looking for me to cut them down. One of them I even decorate every year for Christmas...I think I'm the only guy in the area with an 100' tall Christmas tree. 🤣

I've got some nice cedars on my property. They're worth some money, but they're too nice looking for me to cut them down. One of them I even decorate every year for Christmas...I think I'm the only guy in the area with an 100' tall Christmas tree. 🤣
And the only guy that will climb a 100 footer to decorate it?

I'm gearing up to retrieve my highly valuable yellow cedar log off the beach today. We had a the war wagon already full of red cedar and OVERLOADED!! Before we found the highly valuable yellow cedar log. So I trimmed it and we rolled it up the beach above the high tide line. Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get it on top of and across the trailer length ways to haul it home.🤔 I can't use the skidding arch. It is too long of a haul and too rough a trail. This yellow cedar log is heavy. Twice as heavy as a seasoned Spruce log the same size. I have my work cut out fir me today.👍
Speaking of yellow cedar.......Jump drive 076.JPG
Jump drive 077.JPGJump drive 078.JPG

The light colored strip just down from the gunwhale is yellow cedar, as well as the strip around the solid piece on the bottom.

I built that canoe about 20 years back, it's mostly old growth western red cedar.
I had salvaged a yellow cedar out of the Columbia river....(apparently it had fallen off a barge or something) anyways, we milled it up and had a pile of nice boards sitting there that needed something done with em, so......

Speaking of yellow cedar.......View attachment 1065574
View attachment 1065576View attachment 1065577

The light colored strip just down from the gunwhale is yellow cedar, as well as the strip around the solid piece on the bottom.

I built that canoe about 20 years back, it's mostly old growth western red cedar.
I had salvaged a yellow cedar out of the Columbia river....(apparently it had fallen off a barge or something) anyways, we milled it up and had a pile of nice boards sitting there that needed something done with em, so......
So u decided to use it to float ur boat. She is a beauty.

And the only guy that will climb a 100 footer to decorate it?
Yeah, pretty much. I don't want to spike into it, so I use a foot ascender to get up to the top. I'm not really set up well for single rope system, so it's a helluva leg workout getting up the first 50'. After that, there is enough limbs to traverse through them, so it becomes an upper body workout.

99% of the time I'm climbing a big tree, it's for a removal. However, it's a lot of fun being in the canopy when all the limbs are still there...I enjoy it now for probably the same reasons most of us enjoyed climbing trees when we were kids, although I'm climbing about 5x as high as I did as a kid.

A fellow cutter I worked with in Southeast Alaska had a yellow cedar about three to four foot across the stump in his strip. The Buyer, Forester and the Bull Buck went out to over see the cut. They made him explain how he intended on felling it and saving it out. It was steep broken ground with lots of stumps to dodge. Apparently that particular yellow cedar was BIG money and VERY highly valuable!🤣 He fell it and saved it out just fine.👍 A few gray hairs later of course! 🤣🤣
Those tight grain yellows , are big 💵

Finally feeling a bit better . My bronchitis turned into pneumonia. Not fun with bad ribs still have a bad cough but at least I can sleep a few hours at a time . Monday through Friday I averaged an hour or two of sleep a night . Haven’t ventured far from the couch at all . Still have to sleep sitting up .
Sorry to hear you were not feeling well, hope you are better soon.

I just thought we had not heard from you because the weather finally was good for the sap ... below freezing at night and above during the day!

Latest posts

Back