Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have no time for indoor or outdoor biking till after 4/15, but looking forward to a better biking year than last year.

Only got out a handful of times on the road bike, and my (almost new) 29" full suspension Trek only went out once or twice!

Hoping to have a better season this year.
Ride hard!👍

I know a lot of people trash that family of saws but I had a 450 and really liked it.
The 450 is my favorite stock plastic cased saw, same specs as the 353.
Really it's all the saw a firewood hack needs for a few cord a yr.
And if you're a stihl only guy(which you could be after talking with "friends", a 250/251 will also do just fine ;).
I Stihl plan on acting like Stihl snob cause I can.
Thanks, that way I can still give you a hard time :).
Well said! I feel the same about all of it! Bash away haters! 👍🤣🤣
Junk stihl!
Thanks @svk
Everything looks good just dandy.

Not sure why I bought em.....CAD I s'pose...lol

View attachment 1065114

View attachment 1065115
I enjoy running my little 242, but hate that front tensioner :baba:.
Yes it's Pico chain. It came with a 0.043 B&C that I accidentally replaced with a 0.050 B&C. Well I need to also replace the B&C as well as sprocket on this saw. Any reason to go back to a 0.043 on that saw?
The .043 runs well on a baby saw, no reason to go larger except durability.
The Oregon lo-pro stuff is just as weak, imo. I have dozens of 55dl chains from just one tree service to try and salvage. Lots of bent cutters and sheered off cutters. I have no idea what the climbers are getting into but, Dayam 😳
I've not seen that many problems, but yes they are softer, and yes what the heck are they doing to them.
Good Luck!!!

And you suck! :laugh:
Luck?
I do.
MS241 for the win!!!!!!!!! Now back to my regularly scheduled morning activity: :drinkingcoffee:
What about a ported one.
Wonder how this one would do :innocent:.

I'm running the WoodlandPro(rebranded Carlton) on the 2511. The cutters actually hold an edge well and don't get sheared off. However, you throw a chain or pinch the bar really well, and the drivers and tie straps take a hell of a beating.

I'm not a fan of the Oregon chain nowadays...I used to run it and actually liked it, I slowly switched over to Stihl, as I can normally get a good price on Stihl.

I recently grabbed a 91dl loop of semi-skip Oregon to try out on the 400 and was not impressed. It's ability to hold an edge was just "meh." What really got me was the drivers...I ran a few tanks through it on a job and then through a chain doing a cut that I would not expect to throw a chain. Inspecting the drivers, they were already worn down(not just from throwing it) and not engaging in the rim sprocket that well. Rim sprocket was fine and I haven't had that issue before or since with Stihl chain.

I've heard that Stihl has the strongest chrome on the cutter, but it seems like the Oregon steel is really soft as well...or at least the loop of chain I got was.
Sounds like it's time to try some xcut chain, but I do like the stihl chains too, especially the picco chains.
A little more modding on the 543 clone saw...this time on the muffler:

IMG_20230311_123128504_HDR.jpg.7599e1cb264a6cc159e08c97bb650560.jpg
IMG_20230311_124445642.jpg.1eec9e08bf2c6baae77436263eff4aae.jpg
IMG_20230311_132951990.jpg.17d48649c302fb4c2ea89c71fdb4aa6b.jpg

...and finally did some test cuts with it, doing some storm clean up on a small cedar that broke. I'm still having issues with it, occasional popping...my gasket fix might be starting to leak again. The popping makes me think that the timing is too advanced, so I might look at that. It otherwise runs well, but it's not as strong as I was hoping...it probably runs better than if it had a stock cylinder, but I'd expect better out of porting/machine work.

Not a direction comparison, but I did run my top handle 201 as well...I need to do some cookie-cutting races between the 2, but the 201 feels pretty fast. It's a build that I did awhile back...the usual exhaust mods, porting, machine work, etc.

A larger chain may help, ie 325 if it's 3/8lp.
Hey! You don't just get to walk on in here saying "Hi all" without catching up first!!

You have a lot of work to do :reading:

:laugh:
Hi all :hi:.
These is for you @chipper1 Lol 😆 5lbs of the finest beans . 👍View attachment 1065579
Looks good to me :drinkingcoffee:.
My friend saw a nine and a half footer the other day so some are definatly starting to wake up.👍
Do you guys have those things by the cave doors to tell you how tall they are like at the bank 🤔:lol:.

The 450 is my favorite stock plastic cased saw, same specs as the 353.
Really it's all the saw a firewood hack needs for a few cord a yr.
And if you're a stihl only guy(which you could be after talking with "friends", a 250/251 will also do just fine ;).

Thanks, that way I can still give you a hard time :).

Junk stihl!

I enjoy running my little 242, but hate that front tensioner :baba:.

The .043 runs well on a baby saw, no reason to go larger except durability.

I've not seen that many problems, but yes they are softer, and yes what the heck are they doing to them.

Luck?
I do.

What about a ported one.
Wonder how this one would do :innocent:.

Sounds like it's time to try some xcut chain, but I do like the stihl chains too, especially the picco chains.

A larger chain may help, ie 325 if it's 3/8lp.

Hi all :hi:.

Looks good to me :drinkingcoffee:.

Do you guys have those things by the cave doors to tell you how tall they are like at the bank 🤔:lol:.

You mean they are STHIL junk? 🤔

I finished up the noodling of the candlebark rounds today. I debark it too as the bark has a ton of ash in it so it's better if you can remove that if you can. So much extra work than peppermint and for wood that is marginally less dense. The heartwood (which is almost all of it) is virtually ash free though which makes it a favourite of mine, once I have stopped messing with it. Naturally, Limby ran out of fuel with a couple of cuts left :rolleyes: .

13th Mar 2.jpg

Stihl, it's all in the shed now and will make nice burning for next year. Happy to have the noodles too.

13th Mar 1.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

I finished up the noodling of the candlebark rounds today. I debark it too as the bark has a ton of ash in it so it's better if you can remove that if you can. So much extra work than peppermint and for wood that is marginally less dense. The heartwood (which is almost all of it) is virtually ash free though which makes it a favourite of mine, once I have stopped messing with it. Naturally, Limby ran out of fuel with a couple of cuts left :rolleyes: .

View attachment 1065737

Stihl, it's all in the shed now and will make nice burning for next year. Happy to have the noodles too.

View attachment 1065738

Scrounge on :rock:
Now that's awesome! Nice scrounge! What do you do with the noodles?

A garage that collapsed in Shaver Lake, they said the snow that slid off the roof pushed the walls in. There has been an immense amount of damage posted in the last couple days. I only heard of one house collapsing, but multiple carports and sheds collapsed. Plus roads washed out and trees down, and more rockslides. People are really using the mountain Facebook pages. They’re helping each other, and I also saw sheriff’s asking for details on situations posted, news anchors asking to use pictures, and the county supervisor for the district both asking for details, and putting out information.

42B84660-81D1-42BA-92F6-D975A050B615.jpeg

This is the road around Pine Flat Lake from yesterday, we have to go through here to get to the hiking trail we volunteer on.
58DFAC16-F0A0-402A-9A7C-30B297D94A22.jpeg
B2DCA6DC-3872-4DC5-B054-47358B36D4A5.jpeg

A garage that collapsed in Shaver Lake, they said the snow that slid off the roof pushed the walls in. There has been an immense amount of damage posted in the last couple days. I only heard of one house collapsing, but multiple carports and sheds collapsed. Plus roads washed out and trees down, and more rockslides. People are really using the mountain Facebook pages. They’re helping each other, and I also saw sheriff’s asking for details on situations posted, news anchors asking to use pictures, and the county supervisor for the district both asking for details, and putting out information.

View attachment 1065743

This is the road around Pine Flat Lake from yesterday, we have to go through here to get to the hiking trail we volunteer on.
View attachment 1065744
View attachment 1065745
And a bigger storm on the way, wow. No wonder some are mentioning 1862. 😳

Latest posts

Back