Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zogger wood !!!!!!

Sgr1KNDvBWx0iLfVQ3zXbk8ha9LGBlR4MuJyFkmo-eI=w1239-h917-no

So , it was 110* in the sun at the shop today :(
Having said that , Old Man Winter is still on track to show up whether we want to see him or not .

byQO38iVIYhGPUEJTARv1tIiHtZA56Fmgj7wvlrEGXE=w1223-h917-no

5YJXsf6iDuwi7v1Q5nm5rnv1V6VEKANRIf0EUXgu3js=w1223-h917-no

wpZn8lIwjz8peLOI_UVS6qzYrhbUDDPtsLrpOWopzP0=w1223-h917-no

But ,,,, spring time shows up and the gold at the end of the winter makes it all worth it :)

i8ldiP8lc59M9MCZo9rfEfxIUuyro2ZHG48FXZAQmhg=w1223-h917-no

Scrounge on ladies and gentleman :)

If you never plan on towing anything, why would you be looking at diesel or anything bigger than a half ton? The big 3 all make suitable trucks. Mine is a 2013 f150 ecoboost. I love it and can pile the wood over the box and it hauls it fine. Hauls anything I hook to it as well. Although if never towing, the base v6 would do just as well and save a few bucks. I think the dodge 1/2 ton diesel would be worth a look too. Good luck with the truck search.
You guys have been busy.

Wood scrounging gurus, I have a few questions about wood haulers. I'm definitely going to get rid of my CTS-V and buy a truck. I'm leaning towards a diesel 3/4 or 1 ton truck but I'll probably never tow anything. I want to spend about $20k. Was thinking about buying a truck and a cheap fuel efficient car for my work commute but I'll have four vehicles if I go that route. Anyway, what do you all recommend?

My choices:
5.9 Cummins Dodge up to '06. I think they went to the 6.7 in '07 with all the added emissions crap.
Duramax Chevy/GMC: prefer the LBZ engine as it seems to have the least amount of issues. '06 or '07
Ford diesel: 7.3 would be nice but the truck would be really old. There's deals to be had for the 6.0 but there are a lot of issues with that motor. 6.4 motor sounds great for hp/torque but sounds extremely high tech/complicated.
Tundra: probably the 5.7 motor. MPG isn't great but motor is strong. Not sure how it will handle the weight of firewood though.
Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton gas trucks: The 5.3 motor sounds extremely reliable, decent power, and I can buy a much newer model vs a diesel p/u. Seems like the 5.3 was/is the most widely optioned engine so, worst case scenario, I could pick one up for cheap for an engine swap.
Dodge 1/2 ton gas trucks: Not a huge fan of Dodge so I'll probably skip their gas models unless I see a screaming deal.
Ford 1/2 gas trucks: Their gas trucks sounds a bit gutless so I'll probably pass unless I see a screaming deal.

What would you pick? I would like to cut/haul firewood at least once a week all year long if possible. Selling firewood doesn't seem like it will provide a whole lot of income but I may do it just so I'll have an excuse to upgrade my Makita with a BBK and get another smaller saw to limb. I could get a trailer and tow the wood but that just seems to be a waste of money. I'll probably never tow anything else except firewood.

If you never plan on towing anything, why would you be looking at diesel or anything bigger than a half ton? The big 3 all make suitable trucks. Mine is a 2013 f150 ecoboost. I love it and can pile the wood over the box and it hauls it fine. Hauls anything I hook to it as well. Although if never towing, the base v6 would do just as well and save a few bucks. I think the dodge 1/2 ton diesel would be worth a look too. Good luck with the truck search.

You're absolutely right. I have absolutely no real need for a diesel. My rational side is screaming Chevy 5.3 Silverado/GMC 1/2 ton. My irrational side is screaming 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Diesels resale value holds much better than gas trucks but the purchase price is steeper. Diesel fuel is right around the same price as regular unleaded near me. Maintenance cost may be a wash since the diesel has longer scheduled time frames but I hear parts are more expensive and fluid capacity is higher. I think the HD trucks will be able to hold the payload a bit better but 1/2 tons around the country have been hauling firewood for a long time.

You're absolutely right. I have absolutely no real need for a diesel. My rational side is screaming Chevy 5.3 Silverado/GMC 1/2 ton. My irrational side is screaming 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Diesels resale value holds much better than gas trucks but the purchase price is steeper. Diesel fuel is right around the same price as regular unleaded near me. Maintenance cost may be a wash since the diesel has longer scheduled time frames but I hear parts are more expensive and fluid capacity is higher. I think the HD trucks will be able to hold the payload a bit better but 1/2 tons around the country have been hauling firewood for a long time.
My favourite truck is the f250. I just think it's the sexiest thing on the road. When it came time to replace our aging tow vehicle however, I just couldn't justify the expense of a 3/4 ton diesel. I tow a 4500lb camper, 5x10 utility trailer, and haul anything I can stuff in a 6 1/2' box.
Put pencil to paper, you can buy how many years of gas for the price of a Diesel engine (new it's about a $10,000 option)
Also remember that the 3/4 and one ton trucks have bigger more expensive parts. Brakes for example, last just as long as brakes on a half ton but cost more. Same goes for tires, bearings etc...
Yep. The bigger trucks hold a higher resale but you tie money up that could be used elsewhere.
I'm not trying to talk you out of a 3/4 ton diesel, just offering insight. If I didn't have 4 kids and a hefty mortgage, I'd be driving one just because I like em!

Diesels are great for power but parts will kill you if one starts having issues. Also oil changes take gallons instead of quarts. With a 5.3 Chevy parts are readily available.

I had a new 04' duramax 4 door. Awesome truck with amazing power. When we had kids we got into suburbans. The guy that bought my truck ended up putting a lot of cash into the motor before 100k despite having mostly very easy miles.

Just ordered some new toys for the 365. 20" and 24" power match bars and 5 loops of 72 LGX 2 for the 20" bar and 3 for the 24". I got a new rim sprocket as well. Now it is like waiting for christmas for the delivery man to arrive. By the way left coast supply has some killer deals right now on 72 LGX with free shipping.

Just ordered some new toys for the 365. 20" and 24" power match bars and 5 loops of 72 LGX 2 for the 20" bar and 3 for the 24". I got a new rim sprocket as well. Now it is like waiting for christmas for the delivery man to arrive. By the way left coast supply has some killer deals right now on 72 LGX with free shipping.
I'm playing the waiting game too. My 2186 is supposed to be here tomorrow. Debating pulling the trigger on a 28" bar on eBay. Only 009 bar I currently own is a 18".

We're taking down my neighbors 12" willow on Saturday, I think the new saw will be up to the task :D

I got lucky and was able to use my GI Bill to pay for school.

Yep, that's what I did too. Plus, the National Guard has a %50 tuition waiver with colleges in MD. That's how all my kids will go to college. There's no way I'm going to put all 5 of my kids through college and save for retirement. I've started their training by making them do push ups when they screw up.

all this talk about wood haulers here is mine it will pull just as good as any new gas truck

Do you have a different set of tires on the rear? Looks like much more aggressive tread in the back.

My favourite truck is the f250. I just think it's the sexiest thing on the road. When it came time to replace our aging tow vehicle however, I just couldn't justify the expense of a 3/4 ton diesel. I tow a 4500lb camper, 5x10 utility trailer, and haul anything I can stuff in a 6 1/2' box.
Put pencil to paper, you can buy how many years of gas for the price of a Diesel engine (new it's about a $10,000 option)
Also remember that the 3/4 and one ton trucks have bigger more expensive parts. Brakes for example, last just as long as brakes on a half ton but cost more. Same goes for tires, bearings etc...
Yep. The bigger trucks hold a higher resale but you tie money up that could be used elsewhere.
I'm not trying to talk you out of a 3/4 ton diesel, just offering insight. If I didn't have 4 kids and a hefty mortgage, I'd be driving one just because I like em!

I do really like the looks of the Ford. As far as styling, for me its probably the Fords then Chevy then Dodge.

Yep, there's absolutely no reason I should buy a diesel lol. Hopefully my rational side will prevail and I end up with a 5.3 Chevy.

Diesels are great for power but parts will kill you if one starts having issues. Also oil changes take gallons instead of quarts. With a 5.3 Chevy parts are readily available.

I had a new 04' duramax 4 door. Awesome truck with amazing power. When we had kids we got into suburbans. The guy that bought my truck ended up putting a lot of cash into the motor before 100k despite having mostly very easy miles.

I read the 5.3 motor is the predominate engine in Chevy trucks and SUVs. You can buy a whole engine from wrecked vehicles for under $500. Hopefully my wife will convince me to buy the Chevy.

pics ain't the best but here ya go. monster oak fell over and took with it an ash,maple and poplar plus assorted limbs from some other trees.

Attachments

• 2015-08-2611.11.30.jpg
    2015-08-2611.11.30.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-08-2611.47.37.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2015-08-2611.13.11.jpg
    2015-08-2611.13.11.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2015-08-2611.16.54.jpg
    2015-08-2611.16.54.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 42
I'm playing the waiting game too. My 2186 is supposed to be here tomorrow. Debating pulling the trigger on a 28" bar on eBay. Only 009 bar I currently own is a 18".

We're taking down my neighbors 12" willow on Saturday, I think the new saw will be up to the task :D

The waiting game is killer. I want a 28" bar as well but that will have to wait. I am off to the dealer today to get new fuel filter, plug, muffler gasket, etc. I rattle canned the muffler and it looks good.

My wife commented that I took apart one of my chainsaws. I told her all was fine. I was just cleaning it up. She rolled her eyes. She will never understand.

Back