Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ordeal with my well that began last Monday ended today. Unfortunately, it was very costly, and may preclude me from putting a permanent roof on the new hunting cabin this year.

The well is now 1,330' deep instead of 605', and I now have a 3 phase 2 hp pump at 860' instead of a 1 hp pump at 540'. My current static level is 490' (was 200' in 1987). I wanted to drop the pump deeper, but the cost would have been overwhelming. Just to replace the plastic pipe with Stainless would have been a $5,000 expense, plus larger electrical wire, more for the pump, etc.

Let's just say that I should have that truck that Reid is talking about getting, and instead I only have water again!

The new pump hits max pressure far faster than the old pump did, and the water cleared in a matter of minutes (to my surprise). Fingers crossed this costly repair will last a good many years. It is scary how the water tables are dropping around here, and NYC has dibs on all the local reservoirs.

We now return you to our normally scheduled programming, I'll be delivering two cords to someone new on Sat.

Man that's crazy. Aren't you near sea level anyhow? Crazy you have to go down that far!
steve, maybe mustang mike is really drilling for some of that east coast black gold without the government finding out? if he wins with a gusher there will be no more need for scrounging firewood.? lol

A little BBQ muffler for lunch today. The rusty tin can really cleaned up nice.

5a2c23d7a9ccdd3d64b6a32b5685a278.jpg

I found this blow down gem in the woods yesterday.

I'm almost positive it's Sugar Maple as that's all that's in that immediate area. A lot of the bark was already off and I was able to kick the rest of it off with no effort.

There is another smaller debarked blow down across the butt end.

I'm hoping that since it was pretty much all de-barked that it won't be rotted or punky. Another smaller one I scored a little bit ago was primo and pretty much unsplittable by hand, it was that hard.

I'm hoping this is the same and it will just be noodle time.

Tough to tell from pics, but it looks like Elm to me. It generally will shed it's bark like that, stay solid, and be very hard to split.

I'm on Brewster Hill, clay capped over Granite. Actually, you don't want to hit gas, iron or sulfur, or anything, or it will ruin your water. Almost all the local bodies of water are NYC Reservoir.

Tough to tell from pics, but it looks like Elm to me. It generally will shed it's bark like that, stay solid, and be very hard to split.

I'm on Brewster Hill, clay capped over Granite. Actually, you don't want to hit gas, iron or sulfur, or anything, or it will ruin your water. Almost all the local bodies of water are NYC Reservoir.

I'm thinking you might be right. I scrounged one years ago in a similar situation and the neighbor said it was elm.

They are just really really uncommon up here.

I'm thinking you might be right. I scrounged one years ago in a similar situation and the neighbor said it was elm.

They are just really really uncommon up here.
The elms up here were mostly wiped out in the late 70's and the last big red elms were falling down in the mid to late 80's. I still see a lot of smaller elms on the edges of towns and farms where elms were once planted so they did escape DED.

Elm used to be fairly popular, and a large tree. Most died long ago, but there are a few dead still standing, and a few live ones. I actually have a live one in the back yard. Almost want to get rid of it, but don't want to cut down a tree that seems to be fending off the disease.

Latest posts

Back