Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When are you going to clean that mess up?
my buddy started on the limbs monday. i took the 026 down earlier to check it out. sawed a few more limbs but thinking we need the tractor and log chains to help get it in a better position for sawing. gotta do something quick it. it's blocking a main deer trail that goes past my one stand. :D

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. It has 223,000 miles and still works hard. The body is pretty rough thanks to the Michigan winters but it still hauls wood. I pull a 6x10 trailer loaded and fill the bed on short trips. Parts are easy to get and cheap. I just did rear brakes $100 for rotors and pads.

my buddy started on the limbs monday. i took the 026 down earlier to check it out. sawed a few more limbs but thinking we need the tractor and log chains to help get it in a better position for sawing. gotta do something quick it. it's blocking a main deer trail that goes past my one stand. :D

Thats no good, archery season is coming quick. Are you going to pull it out of the way and cut it up in the winter or try to make it firewood now?

Yep, that's what I did too. Plus, the National Guard has a %50 tuition waiver with colleges in MD. That's how all my kids will go to college. There's no way I'm going to put all 5 of my kids through college and save for retirement. I've started their training by making them do push ups when they screw up.

Do you have a different set of tires on the rear? Looks like much more aggressive tread in the back.

I do really like the looks of the Ford. As far as styling, for me its probably the Fords then Chevy then Dodge.

Yep, there's absolutely no reason I should buy a diesel lol. Hopefully my rational side will prevail and I end up with a 5.3 Chevy.

I read the 5.3 motor is the predominate engine in Chevy trucks and SUVs. You can buy a whole engine from wrecked vehicles for under $500. Hopefully my wife will convince me to buy the Chevy.
When was the last time you had a truck that outlasted the engine? Just sayin. Usually my vehicles rust or wear out (or I get sick of em) long before the motor goes. The chevs are good trucks ( don't let my brother in law hear me say that lol. I give him heck for driving chevs) but if you want to look good while hauling wood, get a ford! Lol.

When was the last time you had a truck that outlasted the engine? Just sayin. Usually my vehicles rust or wear out (or I get sick of em) long before the motor goes. The chevs are good trucks ( don't let my brother in law hear me say that lol. I give him heck for driving chevs) but if you want to look good while hauling wood, get a ford! Lol.

My '87 C-30 is on it's 3rd engine according to the previous owner. But to be fair, each engine has gone about 100k so far ( I bought at 285k on it's 3rd engine, and it's still going strong)

My daily driver (97' 1500 x cab Chev) became solely a junk/wood hauling and hunting truck a week ago when I bought a real clean, loaded 07' Yukon XL (leather, sunroof, DVD) as a new daily driver.

The pickup had michelins since before I owned it that are getting to the end of their life so I'm looking for some more meaty tires now that it won't see much freeway use.

My '87 C-30 is on it's 3rd engine according to the previous owner. But to be fair, each engine has gone about 100k so far ( I bought at 285k on it's 3rd engine, and it's still going strong)
Ok. Let me rephrase that. When was the last time a newer truck has outlasted it's engine. Lol. I would expect an 87 to have had an engine or two. Ambull01 said he was looking to spend around $20,000. Should be able to find a real nice truck for that coin and not have to worry about the engine for a while. My last two trucks I drove for 14 and 12 years respectively, and I still see them driving around town. Both had well over 200k of my heavy foot.

Thats no good, archery season is coming quick. Are you going to pull it out of the way and cut it up in the winter or try to make it firewood now?
probably a little of both. the land where that tree is was leased for hunting. not sure what's going on there this year. gotta saw and haul as much as we can.

Ok. Let me rephrase that. When was the last time a newer truck has outlasted it's engine. Lol. I would expect an 87 to have had an engine or two. Ambull01 said he was looking to spend around $20,000. Should be able to find a real nice truck for that coin and not have to worry about the engine for a while. My last two trucks I drove for 14 and 12 years respectively, and I still see them driving around town. Both had well over 200k of my heavy foot.

14 years! Damn. I haven't had a vehicle for over 5 years. I'm getting tired of continuously buying vehicles so my next truck will be with me for the long haul.

Ford's 5 ltr motors, both the old pushrod one and the new OHC one will last half of forever if properly maintained.

Farmer, cut those trees right before the season, the deer will not be able to resist coming in and seeing what has change in their woods.
It will certainly hold does in the area and where there are does eventually there will be bucks.

I cut trees at my cabin the day before deer opener a few years back. Coming home I jumped deer out of there every night for the next week.

Latest posts

Back