Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning out my garage and i unearthed my old little model t that I’ve had since I was 5 or 6 . Last time it was run was when my first grandson was the same age he’s 15 now . Still has spark and compression just need to clean the gas tank and most likely rebuild the carb . Hope I can get a kit for it . IMG_6774.jpegIMG_6775.jpegIMG_6776.jpegIMG_6778.jpeg

I have had Lincoln welders since 1978 and never had one fail on me.
Not too long ago, when I was at the township, we got approval to replace our ac only tombstone Lincoln. It worked just fine, and we kept it around for hard facing. From what the local weld shops were telling us and 2 dealers 90% of Lincoln and Miller welders are made overseas, we ended up with a Miller 252, which is a functional pos, poor arc control, difficult to set, had the control board go out twice while it was still under warranty. The comparable Lincoln we were told not to get by the dealer. I can't remember his exact quote, but it was along the lines of they were made to be thrown out with any major failure. Which didn't instill confidence. I did get a real kick out of the smaller inverter machines as they had a computer screen and idiot settings instead of normal voltage and wire speed, stupid thing was such a pain to set up. Didn't see them being easy or cheap to fix when they gave issues. I'm sorry, but we're long past any sort of American made quality with these new machines. No point in spending the extra money when I can get the same features at half the price and throw it in the trash when it breaks and go buy another one.
Edit: I wouldn't turn down an old transformer machine though, Lincoln or Miller, other then the wire feeders they seemed to last forever.

Not too long ago, when I was at the township, we got approval to replace our ac only tombstone Lincoln. It worked just fine, and we kept it around for hard facing. From what the local weld shops were telling us and 2 dealers 90% of Lincoln and Miller welders are made overseas, we ended up with a Miller 252, which is a functional pos, poor arc control, difficult to set, had the control board go out twice while it was still under warranty. The comparable Lincoln we were told not to get by the dealer. I can't remember his exact quote, but it was along the lines of they were made to be thrown out with any major failure. Which didn't instill confidence. I did get a real kick out of the smaller inverter machines as they had a computer screen and idiot settings instead of normal voltage and wire speed, stupid thing was such a pain to set up. Didn't see them being easy or cheap to fix when they gave issues. I'm sorry, but we're long past any sort of American made quality with these new machines. No point in spending the extra money when I can get the same features at half the price and throw it in the trash when it breaks and go buy another one.
That is what happens when you buy made in China crap. Recently I bought a made in China coil for one of my Husqvarna saws. The saw would fire and stall. If I held the throttle open the saw would rev up just fine and run great. When letting off the throttle the saw would shut off at half throttle. I pulled my hair out on this trying to figure out WTF was going on with the saw. I pulled a coil off another one of my saws to put on this saw. The saw fired right up and ran great. That coil is on its way back to China courtesy of Amazon.

That is what happens when you buy made in China crap. Recently I bought a made in China coil for one of my Husqvarna saws. The saw would fire and stall. If I held the throttle open the saw would rev up just fine and run great. When letting off the throttle the saw would shut off at half throttle. I pulled my hair out on this trying to figure out WTF was going on with the saw. I pulled a coil off another one of my saws to put on this saw. The saw fired right up and ran great. That coil is on its way back to China courtesy of Amazon.
It's the world we live in unfortunately.

Yea , I use OEM at all costs. 👍

Sounds like your stick welder and my farmer friend each have a very old welder. He still has his grandfather's old welder that weighs a lot. It has a crank wheel on the front to adjust the amps. I have no idea what brand it is. The numbers are all gone on the slide gauge for the amps too. I used that in the Spring to weld up one of his attachments. It still works fine. That was when they made things to last.
Mine has the crank on top... SR

I've run several China coils in Stihl saws w/o any problems, and saved tons of money. You just usually have to trim the wire, which is no big deal.

I've had a lot more problems with the carbs for some of the saws, but the China carbs for the MS660s were mostly good (only had trouble with one, and was able to adjust the fuel lever and fix it).

The storm we had a few days ago took down a couple of trees two houses down.

The owner asked me if I wanted the wood, so I told him I would take the wood from one of them.

Eat your heart out FS! I will be bringing this to my daughter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_191639715_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230719_191639715_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230719_191651725_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230719_191651725_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230719_191700429_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230719_191700429_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230719_191707303_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230719_191707303_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
I've had an Everlast I mig 140 for about 7 years now, been a good little mig. Definitely huts above it's class, only down side is it needs a 30 amp breaker to run full peg, wish they would have made it a 110/220 volt machine. Anything that can't handle I'll grab my brother's Lincoln 250 ranger, or take rhe project to my dad's place. He has a 300amp thermodyne predator gas powered welder. It's a beast of a stick welder. Gas hog though. He picked up a 250amp Eastwood mig welder last year its been surprisingly good so far. Whenever the shop is complete I'll be looking for something in the 250amp range myself, and I'll surely not be buying a Miller or Lincoln.
Why not Miller or Lincoln, besides cost??

When I was a kid, there was an old man about 2 miles from here. Us kids (my brother and me) would walk there and ask him to weld on our bicycle projects. Anyway, when we turned about 8 or 9, he said you have been watching me weld, now you get down there and weld it yourself. First my brother, then me....that's how we learned to weld.

Anyway, at some point he bought a "fancy" new welder and sold my dad his old welder for 50 bucks, (back in the 60's) it was older than the hills back then, and I've never seen any writing on it. Dad scratched on it the settings he wanted and that's how it's always been used. It's FULL of copper and it takes one heck of a man to lift it, I'm guessing it will still be going when we are all gone!

Anyway, if I stick weld, that's the one I use.

SR
I remember the first welder I ever tried to use. My dad had made from a old powerline transformer. It had 3 settings. hot, hotter and hellfire. It was AC only and was good for those gorilla welds, you know the ones, look like crap and hold like hell. I have 3 welders now, 4 if you count the Lincoln SA200 setting torn down in my shed for the last few years. My go to welder is the miller 175 mig, but I have the lincoln Idealarc 250/250 stick tig and recently bought a 135 lincoln mig, 110v machine for $50 a little while back.. I got more machines than I have the ability to use.

Read post 96,587
I don't know about the 252, but we have a 251, a 211 and a 250 Bobcat that have been flawless at work for many, many seasons. My 210 was an excellent machine too, but I sold that and replaced it a couple years later with a 250 powermig that has never impressed.

I don't know about the 252, but we have a 251, a 211 and a 250 Bobcat that have been flawless at work for many, many seasons. My 210 was an excellent machine too, but I sold that and replaced it a couple years later with a 250 powermig that has never impressed.
The 252 I guess is an entry level 250 amp machine. It's a $4k pos. One of my uncles has a 211 auto set, he's replaced something in it once, but it's been a good machine for him. Did they make a Timber wolf? Little diesel powered welder. kubota in it. Did stick and we (machine shop) had a suitecase wire feeder for it. I liked it alot. They got a 300p twin station one side set up with a push/pull for aluminum. Although they got it shortly before I left. Welded alloy amazingly well for a mig. Was actually quite impressed with how it welded steel too. Never quite understood why thy bought it. I think the owner needed a write off.
Anyway, the newer stuff I just haven't been impressed with, at least not since dealing with that pos 252 and the Mikey mouse Lincoln version. I can get a multi process wender for half the cost, 1/3 the cost for just straight mig and be perfectly happy with it in the capacity I use a welder at home.

I remember the first welder I ever tried to use. My dad had made from a old powerline transformer. It had 3 settings. hot, hotter and hellfire. It was AC only and was good for those gorilla welds, you know the ones, look like crap and hold like hell. I have 3 welders now, 4 if you count the Lincoln SA200 setting torn down in my shed for the last few years. My go to welder is the miller 175 mig, but I have the lincoln Idealarc 250/250 stick tig and recently bought a 135 lincoln mig, 110v machine for $50 a little while back.. I got more machines than I have the ability to use.
You never can have too many welders. Just like chainsaws.LOL

Back