Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a guy who welds for a living, I should be ashamed of the little tombstone Lincoln AC/DC in my garage. However it does what I need for home use. Welding and fabrication is my profession not my hobby, so I'm not looking to do it at home too. A variety of electrodes allows me to fix just about anything I need to. I guess it's the equivalent of a pro logger having a poulan pro at home for trimming trees and cutting firewood. It's not glamorous but does the job good enough.

As a guy who welds for a living, I should be ashamed of the little tombstone Lincoln AC/DC in my garage. However it does what I need for home use. Welding and fabrication is my profession not my hobby, so I'm not looking to do it at home too. A variety of electrodes allows me to fix just about anything I need to. I guess it's the equivalent of a pro logger having a poulan pro at home for trimming trees and cutting firewood. It's not glamorous but does the job good enough.
When you luck out at buying one of those AC/DC units in like new condition for $50 you just can't pass it up.

U just need to bolt on another set of tires to make it wider lol
I did add 2.5" spacers on my Kubota rear tires so I could run chains. It did add lots of stability on hills. Doesn't prevent getting stuck in muck, that's what chains are great for.
It is hard not to bid on this but I can't swing it just yet and I could buy lots of log length. But at work they are selling a 14" dual axle dump trailer. They are asking $5000 for it and lots of bids on it. They will draw the winner from a hat.
A flail mower is next add on. 1000' driveway with wild roses and grape vine and small trees. I have gone in with a backhoe and knocked it down but it grows back with a vengeance.

@MustangMike, Mike, I lost Matt's cell number, but I still have him on my FB. So, I sent him a message to send me his cell number. He replied, prove you didn't get hacked, what's MM's favorite saw. I said, I think he's still playing with those Chinese Knock off's. A second later his cell popped up. Good thing I didn't say Stihl's, he might have blocked me!:)

PXL_20230721_173150150.jpgPXL_20230721_173158392.jpgPXL_20230721_185204630.jpgPXL_20230721_190833946.jpgPXL_20230721_190851289.jpgPXL_20230721_192837819.jpg
Knocked off work today at noon. Came home with a plan to cut some more at the log pile so @cantoo doesn't shame me! My daughter asked if I'd teach her to run a saw. Honestly I really don't want her running one ever. She's not built like the rest of us, she's tall and slender. But I figured better she learn from me. So after we talked about all the safety stuff, I put some zogger wood (He lives on!) In the log jam on the tractor and let her run the craftsman. It's no ordinary craftsman but the turbo model. šŸ˜‚. Anyway it went well and she developed a healthy respect for a chainsaw. I ended up using all my saws for different sizes wood and kept hammering away until all but the latest load was cut. Going to service the saws and put em up for now and it will be splitter season at Jeff's house!

Busy, busy. Quick breakfast in town and off to the dealer again after only 2 days. This time I dropped a limb on top of theMS441C. Broke a chunk out of an several cracks in the carb cover. ordered a new one and this time they will ship it to me. Also put in the new clutch drum. $50 some dollars but whose counting?

Stopped at Winco (cut rate grocery) for 2 bags of stuff. $24.

On the way home pickled up the Dewalt 60volt 18" electric saw I had ordered. $439 and change with the battery and charger. Somebody better start counting!! I wanted it with a 14" bar but not available. I'll order one later.

Home to relax by splitting a 2-wheel trailer 3'x4' of black locust that has been in the rounds for around 20 years. Still solid a rock. Split and piled. I'm doing one load/day off that some 16 cord pile. The rounds are huge and at the rate I am going down hill I better get it done before I can't lift them onto the splitter. I have maybe 4 cords left to go.

Then Laundry for a load of t-shirts but that started with a sequence. Can't unload the washer until I empty laundry basked of sundry that was done 2 weeks ago. then have to empty the dryer of stuff that was ready 2 days ago.

Finally on to unboxing the Dewalt. Can't pull the trigger as I can't make the trigger lock move. Drat, Read the Fen Manual dummp...later. First I had to turn to sharpening a few chains and patching the carb cover together with Gorilla tape.

2PM and I am done except for putting a 20" bar on the 441 in preparation for finishing the bucking on a big tree I've been pecking at for a week. Also setting up that new electric saw - it will be used only for brush cutting. Not looking foreward to loading the harvest in this heat. Near 100 for a few days.

After looking at my plans all day, I can see this is a poor design. Top heavy even with bracing as suggested. So I'll scrap the vertical and mount the receiver on a short riser of some sort. I'll still be able to get the cable over the bottom rail of the sides, but not the top. I'll have to work on that.

The whole point of the receiver is that I want to be able to quickly attach the winch to the rear of my truck. Sometimes I have to pull logs out of the burn pile.
27 bucks, or make one. Drop the trailer and install the winch, couple minutes extra for that log or two that occasionally needs pulled out?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...iver-universal-winch-mount-3500-lbs?a=1935498
Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 4.44.44 PM.png

Honda don't make No junk..
That's funny.
All manufactures have had their share of junk.
That's coming form a Hondaficionado :laugh:.
The 6th gen VFR (v-tec version) was sure smooth when that v-tec kicked in lol. Good thing they fixed that with the ECU change a few yrs later, it wasn't the best on wet surfaces, but things did get fun quickly!

Busy, busy. Quick breakfast in town and off to the dealer again after only 2 days. This time I dropped a limb on top of theMS441C. Broke a chunk out of an several cracks in the carb cover. ordered a new one and this time they will ship it to me. Also put in the new clutch drum. $50 some dollars but whose counting?

Stopped at Winco (cut rate grocery) for 2 bags of stuff. $24.

On the way home pickled up the Dewalt 60volt 18" electric saw I had ordered. $439 and change with the battery and charger. Somebody better start counting!! I wanted it with a 14" bar but not available. I'll order one later.

Home to relax by splitting a 2-wheel trailer 3'x4' of black locust that has been in the rounds for around 20 years. Still solid a rock. Split and piled. I'm doing one load/day off that some 16 cord pile. The rounds are huge and at the rate I am going down hill I better get it done before I can't lift them onto the splitter. I have maybe 4 cords left to go.

Then Laundry for a load of t-shirts but that started with a sequence. Can't unload the washer until I empty laundry basked of sundry that was done 2 weeks ago. then have to empty the dryer of stuff that was ready 2 days ago.

Finally on to unboxing the Dewalt. Can't pull the trigger as I can't make the trigger lock move. Drat, Read the Fen Manual dummp...later. First I had to turn to sharpening a few chains and patching the carb cover together with Gorilla tape.

2PM and I am done except for putting a 20" bar on the 441 in preparation for finishing the bucking on a big tree I've been pecking at for a week. Also setting up that new electric saw - it will be used only for brush cutting. Not looking foreward to loading the harvest in this heat. Near 100 for a few days.
Congrats on the new saw.
I'm impressed with what you're getting done, hope I can do that much 30yrs from now.
I'd be taking it easy in that heat :baba: .

@MustangMike, Mike, I lost Matt's cell number, but I still have him on my FB. So, I sent him a message to send me his cell number. He replied, prove you didn't get hacked, what's MM's favorite saw. I said, I think he's still playing with those Chinese Knock off's. A second later his cell popped up. Good thing I didn't say Stihl's, he might have blocked me!:)
They are all Stihl, or Stihl clones, or a mix of both. Hey, I have a full clone 660 that dynoed at 8.6 Hp!

Would this be a Matt Robinson perhaps?

27 bucks, or make one. Drop the trailer and install the winch, couple minutes extra for that log or two that occasionally needs pulled out?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...iver-universal-winch-mount-3500-lbs?a=1935498
View attachment 1099032
Yes, that part, I've already made. So pulling logs out of burn pile is no longer a problem.

But, The dual purpose of the winch is a mount for the trailer to load logs. I thought a rig like that of a boat trailer winch would work for my purposes, but I'm not sure it would handle the weight.

Latest posts

Back