Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if the 'collar' on a receiver has a purpose? I just have 2" square tubing to make a receiver.
View attachment 1098750
I always thought it was a heavy support for the end of the tube to keep the tube from splitting due to too much tongue weight.

Thanks. I'm tinkering with cutting the steel for my trailer winch mount. I need clean the garage before I can get to the welder :laugh: . It's still raining and I need to move stuff outside. So I'm really just in the planning stages.

I need some more advice, so I'll take some pics and start a new thread?

What the heck, I'll just do it here.

You'll have to use some imagination and remember a few things. I only have a 5' x 8' single axle trailer that this will bolt onto. Removable. I don't need all the extra tongue weight all the time. I'll only be loading small logs up to 1000#. Tires don't like much more. My winch is only 4500#. I'll have a roller attached to the back of the trailer or I'll make some sort of log arch.

The upright in the 1st pic is 2" x 3" x 3/16" tubing. I'll be cutting some of it off so I have approximately a 24" height. My trailer has 12" sides and when tilted, I want to be able to run the cable between them for a log drag.
IMG_1979.JPG
I'll weld the plate (1/4") to the bottom of the tubing approximately as shown, except centered. The plate will have 4 bolt holes so bolts can be installed in the outside of the tongue and through a mating bottom plate. Removable. an angle brace will be welded from the vertical tube to the plate.
IMG_1977.JPG

The receiver in the picture will be cut so I have a 5-3/4" long piece. Cut at tape line. This will be welded directly to the end of the vertical tubing with a 1/4" over hang on each side. Tubing is 2" wide and receiver is 2-1/2" wide. Should be enough room(?) for a fillet weld.
IMG_1978.JPG
The square tubing holding the winch plate will be inserted into the receiver approximately that far as shown. Far enough? If I had to, I could drill another hole about an inch to the left of the existing hole.

That's all I've got figured out so far. Advice, comments or criticism welcomed. Laugh at my idea if you want to. Let me know if I'm doing something stupid.

Thanks

You mentioned an angle brace from the vertical to the mounting plate. Maybe one from the vertical to the receiver as well?
The receiver is only going to be 5-3/4" long as planed. The vertical is 3" long so an overhang , if centered would only be 1"-3/8" on front and back. But maybe I should 1) move the vertical flush with the back side and have a 2-3/4" overhang in the front. Then I could gave a small gusset brace as you suggested.

Or 2) make the receiver longer, say 9" long and then do the same as 1) with a longer bracing (gusset) in front.

Something to consider. Keep the ideas coming.

After looking at my plans all day, I can see this is a poor design. Top heavy even with bracing as suggested. So I'll scrap the vertical and mount the receiver on a short riser of some sort. I'll still be able to get the cable over the bottom rail of the sides, but not the top. I'll have to work on that.

The whole point of the receiver is that I want to be able to quickly attach the winch to the rear of my truck. Sometimes I have to pull logs out of the burn pile.

My next project . Actually it only needs a few cosmetics .1998 Jeep limited 4.0 with 187k miles. Has the manual shift for the transfer case . One rust hole in the drivers rocker panel . The tailgate is pristine which is rarely seen here . Car came from Georgia . View attachment 1097070View attachment 1097071View attachment 1097072
My BIL has one for sale. I think he said it has the "Up Country" package. Skid plates, maybe a little lift. I'll call and ask what's up with it?

My BIL has one for sale. I think he said it has the "Up Country" package. Skid plates, maybe a little lift. I'll call and ask what's up with it?
Thanks but I’m done buying at the moment . The one I just bought has to stay outside no more garage space

Couple of things done today got the front tire on the Wing . IMG_6789.jpegGot 20 ton of #3 stone guy couldn’t back the truck in to spread it a bit way to muddy . Going to need another 20 of #3 and maybe 10 of # 2 for topping but I’m not really going to be driving on it like a driveway just storing my trailers off the dirt IMG_6790.jpegIMG_6791.jpegIMG_6792.jpeg

Couple of things done today got the front tire on the Wing . View attachment 1098834Got 20 ton of #3 stone guy couldn’t back the truck in to spread it a bit way to muddy . Going to need another 20 of #3 and maybe 10 of # 2 for topping but I’m not really going to be driving on it like a driveway just storing my trailers off the dirt View attachment 1098835View attachment 1098836View attachment 1098837
Nice to see the pic of the Honda... Honda don't make No junk.. They put out quality stuff.. My favorite was a linked brake system on a VFR 800.. Outstanding performance.. Just needed to write that..

Nice to see the pic of the Honda... Honda don't make No junk.. They put out quality stuff.. My favorite was a linked brake system on a VFR 800.. Outstanding performance.. Just needed to write that..
Just wish they would use quality paint . My wings paint looks worse than my 3 year older Harley both outside most of the summer the Harley has a nice shine the wing is fading out . Starting to look like a satin paint job . A buddy has a wing that was made in the US and it still looks good mine was made in Japan IMG_6782.jpeg

The Wing has the linked brake system don’t matter which I apply both front and rears are activated . It’s works very well

Back on topic:

This morning I loaded up my trailer with the Mulberry from 2 houses down. Got a full trailer load! Will bring it over to my daughter after the WE.

Don't know what size Mulberry everyone else sees, but this is the largest one I've seen around here!

The guy they hired to cut it up was getting nowhere fast, so I went over and saw he was trying to do this with a MS 271 with a dull chain. So, I went home and brought a few saws over and let him try them out. He loved the saws and was very appreciative, I'm sure it shortened his day by a lot!

I started by letting him try my ported 261 on some mid-size stuff, then let him run a ported 462 on some bigger stuff, and my 460/440 hybrid on the biggest stuff. He was very impressed, and I was pleased that he was very respectful and careful with how he handled my saws. It felt good to help him out.

You can see the little extender I put on my peavey hook in the second photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20230720_140722163_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230720_140722163_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230720_140750889_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230720_140750889_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Back