Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, at 52, I've wrenched on enough vehicles. I don't mind keeping up my maintenance, but I'm done laying in the snow and mud all night so I can get up and go to work the next day.
I am curious though, what's a 4bt and what would you swap it into??
At 70 I'm beginning to enter that same camp.
i never have laid in mud for such, but have in snow! to put on tire chains. etc. but never was an all night chore...

Sooooo By any chance any of you “older fellas” have any older reloading manuals with .32 Win data??I trust you boys 10,000 times more than the morons on the internet…I know ya’ll rag on @Sawyer Rob but I bet that guy knows a good load for itHe knows a LOT, just comes across a bit rough to some
But the dude does have a bit of knowledge and does do some cool woodworking stuff
:yes: i see no reason not to give him his due...

Said no one ever that owned a big block. Wouldn't trade an fe for a 300 six. My 73 is ready to roll the odometer for the third time and will kick the crap out of any 300 6, all day every day.
Had plenty of F100's and F250's with a 360,390,460 no thanks my 88 f250 with a 300 i6 pulled just as good with the 300 vs the 73 f100 360 or 69 f250 390 but i haul wood not ass.
Had a 460 it pulled decently when i could keep it running never again it stayed in the shop more than i cared with computer and fuel system problems.

I learned to drive on, and subsequently owned numerous FE Ford motors. I was a big fan. You could really make them run, and (all except the externally balanced ones) they were very durable and could take a lot of abuse (don't ask me how I know). (Note: 428 and 410 Mercury were externally balanced)

I learned to drive on a 64 Galaxy with a 352 and a 65 Country Squire with a 390. I subsequently owned Mustangs with 390s (2), a 428 and I installed a 427 in my 70 Boss 302 body. From the factory, 390 Mustangs were anemic due to crappy exhaust manifolds and the transverse mufflers. In addition, the Holley 735 carb was jetted too lean for performance. Adding headers, real dual exhaust and an 800 double pumper Holley really woke them up, and adding a solid lifter cam and electronic ignition, steel shim head gaskets and a TRW double roller timing chain all helped to further enhance performance.

After that, it all came down to getting traction and your ability to drive as back in the day 4 speed sticks were capable of beating auto transmissions.
All mine were in trucks, my favorite was supposed to be my first truck. 69 f-100 with a 390 3 (someone swapped it from what i recall) on the tree. My pops caught me doing burnouts with it.... he sold it and stuck me in this Plymouth Sundance. Hated that car. Had an "accident" and started driving my 75 f-250. Only thing I didn't Like about that truck was it had a full time transfer case.
Had plenty of F100's and F250's with a 360,390,460 no thanks my 88 f250 with a 300 i6 pulled just as good with the 300 vs the 73 f100 360 or 69 f250 390 but i haul wood not ass.
Had a 460 it pulled decently when i could keep it running never again it stayed in the shop more than i cared with computer and fuel system problems.
Ive had a 68 f-100 390 ran like a top, 73 f250 360, still own it, uncle bought it new. 75 f-250 360, and just recently given to my cousin a 78 f 250 super cab with a turd 400m. 93 f-150 302, and 96 f-250 460. Wouldn't have traded a single one for anything with a 300 6 in it. Never had any issues with anyone of them. Other then the 68, they all went in excess of 200k miles. Actually I know all the people that own them, save the 68 they all stayed in the family. 80' to early 90's trucks in general had lots of issues, particularly wiring issues. That all got sorted in short order. Emissions killed the 460 till 91, retarded cam timing, and tiny exhaust. Header, and a timing set with straight up timing or slightly advanced cam timing solved those issues. I'll aso be the first one to point out, there's a big difference in hauling a bed full of wood vs hauling a load of logs, bin and hay wagons, equipment etc. The 300 6 was a fine engine, but utterly gutless. Some people have all day, I don't. Hence our switch to diesel. No one will ever convince a 300 pulls better.

Can’t kill that 300/4.9

Had one in 2wd, great work truck!!
I had a 1970 F100 300 six 4 speed short bed 4x4 with a 4 inch lift back in the late 70's. What a blast to drive and it got pretty good gas mileage. The cab mounts were pure **** metal and rotted out quickly.

I had a 1970 F100 300 six 4 speed short bed 4x4 with a 4 inch lift back in the late 70's. What a blast to drive and it hot pretty good gas mileage. The cab mounts were pure **** metal and rotted out quickly.
It wasn't the metal per say, it was the crap design to get into the mount bolt, (hole facing front twards front wheel. and the stupid idea of noise insulation. Terrible idea. The thin tin cover over the access hole wasn't sealed, the mount had no drain and did have noise deadening material in it. Hello Ford, anal cranial syndrome! Just stupid.

It wasn't the metal per say, it was the crap design to get into the mount bolt, (hole facing front twards front wheel. and the stupid idea of noise insulation. Terrible idea. The thin tin cover over the access hole wasn't sealed, the mount had no drain and did have noise deadening material in it. Hello Ford, anal cranial syndrome! Just stupid.
zzzzxdn.jpg

Sorry to hear about your tree loss.
I can't believe you get 19 mpg with a partial load in your truck. What's it get empty. My Ram 1500 only gets 17 mph empty and that's watching the acceleration.
It's a 2018 F150 with the 2.7 twin turbo. It gets 20-21regularly. If I'm by the shore and on flat ground it will get 25. My dump trailer is 3500 pounds and a cord of Oak gets it up around 7500 pounds total. That hits it hard, down to about 9.5 MPG.

Back