Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snuck up in the woods this morning and dropped a nice little dead ash. Fun wedging it over against the lean. Not something I've done much.
View attachment 1121939 View attachment 1121940
Got most of it in one trailer load and passed inspection. šŸ™„
View attachment 1121941
After lots of other "things to do"
View attachment 1121943
Used the tractor to move one of the sleds from the barn up to the shop so that I could work on it on a concrete floor with better lighting. Broke the starter rope at the tail end of last Winter. So, I had to pull the recoil to put a new starter rope on it. Man, what a PITA. One of those days where you need a 10 year old boy so that he could remove it for you because he'd have those little hands to fit in there!

View attachment 1121964

View attachment 1121966

View attachment 1121967

View attachment 1121968View attachment 1121965

With Allison's help, all hand split and in the racks.
View attachment 1121942
nice lil Ford 2-door! (convert?) the louvers in hood and wheels seem to be saying something. thinking it mite be a '53?

Used the tractor to move one of the sleds from the barn up to the shop so that I could work on it on a concrete floor with better lighting. Broke the starter rope at the tail end of last Winter. So, I had to pull the recoil to put a new starter rope on it. Man, what a PITA. One of those days where you need a 10 year old boy so that he could remove it for you because he'd have those little hands to fit in there!

View attachment 1121964

View attachment 1121966

View attachment 1121967

View attachment 1121968View attachment 1121965
but i do envy all the snow and daily rides on the snowmobiles.... šŸ¤©

Olive Oil works great and is likely healthier for ya! We use it all the time up at the cabin.
i have done 3 lately. all had been sitting around in my collection of cast cookware, unused for a long time. have cooked on all three now... šŸ‘ i cleaned, cleaned, then cleaned some more. once clean as i wanted it to be... willing to cook use it and then eat the food.... i oiled with plain ol veg oil. and put up to stay dust free...

the big one had last been used to make brownies. a BSofAM cast iron fry pan. these 2 just real dusty, etc...
P1010030.JPGP1010031.JPGP1010032.JPG

Olive Oil works great and is likely healthier for ya! We use it all the time up at the cabin.
i like olive oil for cooking in mine. just got a big jug of it at the grocery... what i use oft just depends on what i am cooking. like french fries vs pan fried steak!

first test run in many years. some mine, some where i acquired. rib-eye n onions. clean up and the cook: šŸ‘
P1010070.JPG
P1010044.JPGP1010049.JPGP1010046.JPG

i like olive oil for cooking in mine. just got a big jug of it at the grocery... what i use oft just depends on what i am cooking. like french fries vs pan fried steak!
I use olive oil for just about everything. When I was a kid it was all we used, but we used ā€œflavoredā€ olive oil. My dad would put it in glass gallon jars filled with Anaheim peppers and other goodies and let it age for at least a year before use.

They're cheapo Amazon 84" fork extensions. I'm sure they're Chineseium for the 125.00 or so that I spent on them, but they're good enough for the stuff that I do. They're strong enough to support a full 330 gallon IBC of stacked hardwood way out on the tips, so that I can push them all the way back into my woodshed.The sled is a fast old sled. I just got it about two years ago, because I'd always wanted that sled when I was younger, but either didn't have the money to spend on it, or wasn't willing to spend the money at the time. I just ride it once in a while now. My regular sled has electric start, which is way easier on these old torn rotator cuffs LOL.
noted

I use olive oil for just about everything. When I was a kid it was all we used, but we used ā€œflavoredā€ olive oil. My dad would put it in glass gallon jars filled with Anaheim peppers and other goodies and let it age for at least a year before use.
eggs for me is butter only! and in my OXO fry pan. winner of America's Test Kitchen fry pan shoot out! one thing they liked about the OXO fry pans was: releasibility

i bot mine on releasibility! ie, eggs that never stick! - never! -

OXO 12"

1698046453583.png
i only use it for eggs. nothing else. and i never heat it higher than medium. i have a smaller one, too. actually 2. one for up in the farm house kitchen... and in the smaller ones i will do other items besides eggs. but only to reheat. and never over medium heat setting. usually for a reheat med/low. like some left over steak done med/rare and u don't want to cook that out with too much heat. like for a steak & eggs breakfast... šŸ˜‹

i like all my cast fry pans, but the OXO's are the best! (eggs) last count i have just over 2 dozen fry pans! :buttkick:

That is a great idea.

Couple questions for you (or anyone else that would like to chime in)

Do they ever blow off in high winds? I could see drilling a few holes and lashing them to the crate.
Mechanic Matt brought up a good point that maybe the splits could fall out with the inserts removed. Is this an issue with you?
Yes they sometimes will blow off in high winds. Four holes in the corners with rope will keep them on. If the wood is stacked inside they don't fall out of the holes

eggs for me is butter only! and in my OXO fry pan. winner of America's Test Kitchen fry pan shoot out! one thing they liked about the OXO fry pans was: releasibility

i bot mine on releasibility! ie, eggs that never stick! - never! -

OXO 12"

View attachment 1122048
i only use it for eggs. nothing else. and i never heat it higher than medium. i have a smaller one, too. actually 2. one for up in the farm house kitchen... and in the smaller ones i will do other items besides eggs. but only to reheat. and never over medium heat setting. usually for a reheat med/low. like some left over steak done med/rare and u don't want to cook that out with too much heat. like for a steak & eggs breakfast... šŸ˜‹

i like all my cast fry pans, but the OXO's are the best! (eggs) last count i have just over 2 dozen fry pans! :buttkick:
I have an "eggs only" Cuisinart pan... That was only possible once the kids (my sons and their girlfriends) stopped cooking here. When they moved out I gave them the Cuisinart cookware they wrecked as "starter" cookware and bought new cookware for my kitchen. šŸ˜‰ I've also got an assortment of cast iron that I've got well seasoned... the frying pans range from 8" up to 15".

The big one was my family's camping frying pan... I have fond memories of sausage, peppers and onions in that pan sitting on the grate of a stone fireplace full of hot coals. I'd estimate that that pan is about 53-55 years old now.

I have an "eggs only" Cuisinart pan... That was only possible once the kids (my sons and their girlfriends) stopped cooking here. When they moved out I gave them the Cuisinart cookware they wrecked as "starter" cookware and bought new cookware for my kitchen. šŸ˜‰ I've also got an assortment of cast iron that I've got well seasoned... the frying pans range from 8" up to 15".

The big one was my family's camping frying pan... I have fond memories of sausage, peppers and onions in that pan sitting on the grate of a stone fireplace full of hot coals. I'd estimate that that pan is about 53-55 years old now.
that's interesting! one of mine is a cuisinart teflon fry pan. and its best job is making eggs stick! lol. true! cleaning after scrambled eggs is a pain! it was a hand-me-down from one of the kids. so i use it for stuff like soups, or beans to heat, or etc. but not for eggs. it is a Cuisnart GreenGourmet* GG22-24 10". i bet that 15" cast is heavy! i have a 14" Lodge, and it... is... heavy!

My daughter may be happy! While my grandnephew and I will be bow hunting this WE, my daughter will be going for one of these!

While it is kinda warm here this morning, it was below freezing up at the cabin (29*F) on one of the trail cams.

No one has yet taken one up at my cabin. I used to see a lot more of them, but in recent years they have been much more scarce.

1698071243407.png

that's interesting! one of mine is a cuisinart teflon fry pan. and its best job is making eggs stick! lol. true! cleaning after scrambled eggs is a pain! it was a hand-me-down from one of the kids. so i use it for stuff like soups, or beans to heat, or etc. but not for eggs. it is a Cuisnart GreenGourmet* GG22-24 10". i bet that 15" cast is heavy! i have a 14" Lodge, and it... is... heavy!
I dedicated that pan to eggs from the time I took it out of the box... it's been about 3 years now and the over easy eggs I'm eating right now slipped around the pan just fine. I think that is the only way to have a dedicated pan.... never cook anything else in it and use Teflon spatulas so there is no risk of scratching.

The big cast iron pan is impractical on the stove... it was great on the fireplace when camping. Now that I'm thinking about that pan I'm wondering if it would fit in the Weber grill with the top down?? It could be handy for one pan cooking of the sausage and peppers!

Latest posts

Back