Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 cords of my pile gone yesterday. Here today gone tomorrow as this huge pile of wood starts to disappear. That 36" branchless dead Ash that I added to the pile a few months ago turned out to be be just over 2 cords of wood. That is almost all gone now too. I split almost another cord yesterday between trailer loads being picked up.

Attachments

• 20231028_161052.jpg
    20231028_161052.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231028_160857.jpg
    20231028_160857.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Confession!
Took down a 16" ash yesterday, over the property line in a neighbor's woods, things didn't go um, quite as planned.
Took a ladder, a rope and my ZTR mower but thought; I'll just beat that slight back lean with a deep notch cut then wedge it over.....
Tree sat back on the saw then snapped the hinge and went over "backward". Hung around and took the saw out as it went. Other than embarrassment, no harm no foul, it was all just woods. So much for the deep notch idear! Cut a path to the fence to get the rounds out. My 75 year old bud shlepped the 20" long rounds out to the trailer for me, the young guy at 68 to hand split. Noodled a few crotch pieces. Two of us had the tree cut, blocked, split, hauled, stacked in the racks in about 2 1/2 hours. A bit shy of a cord. Sent him home with a truckload from the racks for his furnace. Still another 5 or 8 ash back there need dropping.

Well shucks. I've got abut 9-10 cord of rounds to split. Black Diamond splitter has always been a reliable starter in summer and a b....to start in winter. It would fire but not run until many repeat pulls. Out today temps about 30 and can't get a pop out of it. Briggs engine. I'm about to go buy another splitter. Almost certainly if I could find one with a Honda engine. Any one know of one?

Alternate is take it to my fix it guy and have him change the motor to a Honda.
I’d have him re-engine it, or get a can of starter fluid. When my old beat to death splitter gives me a hard time I hit it with a shot of go juice and viola

Confession!
Took down a 16" ash yesterday, over the property line in a neighbor's woods, things didn't go um, quite as planned.
Took a ladder, a rope and my ZTR mower but thought; I'll just beat that slight back lean with a deep notch cut then wedge it over.....
Tree sat back on the saw then snapped the hinge and went over "backward". Hung around and took the saw out as it went. Other than embarrassment, no harm no foul, it was all just woods. So much for the deep notch idear! Cut a path to the fence to get the rounds out. My 75 year old bud shlepped the 20" long rounds out to the trailer for me, the young guy at 68 to hand split. Noodled a few crotch pieces. Two of us had the tree cut, blocked, split, hauled, stacked in the racks in about 2 1/2 hours. A bit shy of a cord. Sent him home with a truckload from the racks for his furnace. Still another 5 or 8 ash back there need dropping.
I’ve found those ash that have been dead standing for a bit now don’t always drop the way they should. The wood deteriorates and the fibers don’t hold right for a good proper hinge. Be safe!!

I have a B&S engine on a riding mower. It starts fine in the Summer. But in the Winter it won't start unless I use starting fluid or gas down the air intake. Someone told me the choke needs to be reset for Winter. Never messed with it. Don't know if it's the same thing.
Low compression will show up that way. The thousand hour Briggs on my zero turn is getting like that. Used a shot of carb cleaner to fire it off yesterday. May drill a small hole after the airfilter to take the can's straw as a stop gap...
Plus one; a predator re-engine. I replaced a Briggs 18 in a previous zero turn with a 21hp predator, worked awesome, running great when it left here.

I’ve got a good charger but was looking to an easier hookup without raising the hood. This so my mother can handle it when I’m not available.
with a plug end out fw or grill, should be just a plug-n-play. not sure how to get more simpler than that... tv's have them, fans have them, some devices have them, but have not seen any remotes for bat chargers.... but 🤷‍♂️

:drinkingcoffee:

Confession!
No vid? 😜

Working late shift this weekend. So don't get much time to do anything before i have to leave for work. I atarted the back wall of the shop the other day. I feel it's kinda hokey, but I guess it will serve its purpose. I set the base plates, and vertical tubes up. Then got one run of horizontal tube in before I had to leave for work. Didn't get to do anything with it yesterday. They were calling for rain today, so I forced myself to get out of bed early ish. (Only got home @1:30 am, didn't get to bed till nearly 3) all that was holding the vertical peices up was the base plates. Went out and fastened the center one up top, and realized I had no idea what the measurement was for the other two. Went back down and took a measurement of the base plates and went back up, fastened them, then set up for the second run of horizontal bars and got them in, just as the rain started coming down. Now, just gotta get everything back inside and clean up for work.

with a plug end out fw or grill, should be just a plug-n-play. not sure how to get more simpler than that... tv's have them, fans have them, some devices have them, but have not seen any remotes for bat chargers.... but 🤷‍♂️

That’s the goal… no raising the hood or hooking up cables in mom’s future!

All the standby electric start generators that I have seen/owned have a plug and play battery charger. I installed one of these on my Honda ST1100 motorcycle.

Just a lousy rainy day today in New England. I did manage to do some outside work and managed to split a four row stack of wood in my tractor bucket. Halfway thru that wood the rain started. By the time I finished that load my jacket was pretty much drenched. Next project is to build a ballast weight with a trailer hitch. I'm going to use a 55 gallon plastic barrel with a three point hitch drawbar. The hitch tongue will be from HF that is 18 inches long. That will reach the drawbar and be welded to it inside of the drum. I'll make an upright off the drawbar and add plates for the top hitch. Lastly it will get filled with concrete. I figure it will weigh in at about 1200 pounds. Pictures to follow as I build it. I'm off to HF get my receiver hitch.

I’d have him re-engine it, or get a can of starter fluid. When my old beat to death splitter gives me a hard time I hit it with a shot of go juice and viola
You might just need a carb rebuild. Or get one online. I rebuilt a carb for my Chonda 13 hp but I ordered a cheap carb for it before I rebuilt it. Now I have a spare. BTW the splitter motor had your symptoms.

My honda powered splitter starts all the time regardless of the temperature. Go Honda and leave the rest behind.
I have 2 honda walk-behind mowers and a rototiller. Same thing, one pull starts from out of the box. The firest walk-behind is still running but low on compression and smokes so bad it looks like it is on fire. Still one pull starts

PXL_20231028_191531177.jpg
I see we surpassed 5000! Been in Quebec for 3 days and I'm not even trying to catch up. Felled a dead pine while I was there. It was a bad leaner and was leaning towards the bunkie I was staying in. Lots of trees around, a couple buildings and a real narrow window for success. We discussed the risks and went for it. I needed to swing it about 45° from the lean direction to lay it where I felt it needed to go. A gust of wind during the back cut reduced it to about 42° despite the rope crew and it came down between these smaller trees instead of to the right. However it came down good enough in the general direction no harm no foul. Everyone was tickled pink especially my cottage owner friend who cooked me a steak.

Just got back from another WE up at the cabin with my daughter and a grandnephew (who is 6'4" and works in the tree business). Note: I have a few pages to catch up on.

We did a little hunting, and a lot of work!

We installed roofs on both of the wooden deer stands, with the supporting wood all milled by yours truly from white oak, and also installed cement board sides on the newest stand. I was hunting from our newest (white oak) stand this morning in the pouring rain, and it was wonderful! The rain on the roof did not make any noise, and I stayed nice and dry!

We also back filled some pipe that we installed a few weeks ago (with the help of an excavator). But this WE, it was all done by hand, and let me tell you it is not easy or fun trying to move rock quarry debris by hand! Luckily, the rain this morning actually softened it up and made it easier to move. The rock debris is encased in clay, and when it is hard it is very difficult to move!

My daughter did the cooking (and brought up some excellent bear stew - her second batch), did the cleaning, and brought firewood into the cabin and did trail camera maintenance. One of our trail cameras had a 10 pt buck a few days ago on the card that was not sent to us??? Of course, he came by at night, but it is good to see he is still around.

We did not see anything while hunting, but we got a lot of work done, and had a good time.

There was also a real nice full moon ... but the picture does not do it justice!

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_181138460_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231028_181138460_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231029_133509174_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231029_133509174_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231029_134741999_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231029_134741999_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back