Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the wifi thermostat hooked up. Took a little longer as I had to run an aux power source as I was converting from an old Mercury thermostat. Once I punch in directions from my phone the temp adjusts within 5 seconds from anywhere in the world.

image.jpeg

Fired up the boiler after that for the first time this year. Running on low as it's still a balmy 12 degrees.

Fahr in the hole! 20 minutes after light up.
image.jpeg

Well done!

Thanks! It is nice when things go as planned, especially when it is the biggest, heaviest tree I have dropped, and the first time running a 36" bar. It was good that Red Oak has such a strong grain, and that tree was solid all the way through. I'm really appreciative of what I have learned from this site.

A 36" bar is a little tougher to line up right, I'm glad I got a light weight, Thank you Mark (mcobb2).

OK, break time is over! Put the new 36" light bar with RSLH on that 460/046-D Beast Randy build for me, and went out and cut down an Oak, Red Oak that is.

Was actually a little bigger than the bar was meant to handle, and had a little lean toward the back corner of the house, with the septic fields between the tree and the house, so pulling it a bit, and dropping it right along the tree line was critical, and luckily all went as planned! I pounded 2 sets of double wedges in the backcut just to help it break early and keep a good hinge. Worked like a charm, But first I had to clear the way by dropping two small Sugar Maples and a moderate size Black Birch. I also had to modify the tree a bit to use just a 36" bar, so glad I learned things from this site!

I must say that saw pulled that bar very nicely, like as if it were a 90 cc saw or something! Was making wood chips so fast bucking it that the homeowner went and got a snow shovel & rake to remove them! Ran all the other saws and they all did just fine, but the star of the day on this tree was that ported 460 and that 36" light bar, was real happy I had it, as I did not want to be working on the low side of the tree!

I left a 12' long log in case we want to do some wood working, and bucked the rest of it firewood size W/O ROCKING A SINGLE CHAIN!!! (No easy task with a log that big, and that heavy Oak really makes an impression in the ground when it comes down).

So now I have more firewood for next year, enjoy the pics!!!
Nice...

Thanks! It is nice when thing go as planned, especially when it is the biggest, heaviest tree I have dropped, and the first time running a 36" bar. It was good that Red Oak has such a strong grain, and that tree was solid all the way through. I'm really appreciative of what I have learned from this site.

A 36" bar is a little tougher to line up right, I'm glad I got a light weight, Thank you Mark (mcobb2).

What did you use for the pulling of that beast? Also how high was your rope?

No ropes on this one, the woods were too dense to allow a rope to pull in the correct direction. I just relied on a thick hinge to pull it to the right, and the two sets of double wedges, to get it to go early (while the hinge was still thick).

I should have clarified that I used the hinge angle to pull it to the right of the actual lean, not ropes. It fell about 30 degrees from the actual lean direction.

If the tree did not have any lean, I would have roped it in the direction I wanted it to fall, as high as possible.

Finally got out in the woods for a few hours this afternoon and started working on the wood that the power company left for me. Put up a half cord of aspen, ran the big saw, and tried my hand at square file sharpening.

I forgot my raker file so it didn't cut as strong as new but there was definitely an improvement after I sharpened. Hit a rock on my last cut so she'll need more love before next time.

I got a chance to run my Wilton Bash 6# maul against the S2800 and X27. I'll post results in the splitting tool review thread.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Another bullet, probably from a .380. We used to target practice on this hill.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

i called about a C/L free fire wood ad yesterday.the guy said stihl here/ told him we were on our way. 8 miles from the house. only got 1 load yesterday and finished today. 2 guys for a total of 12 man hrs. had to use a wheel barrow as the guys yard had to many rocks to drive the truck close.he had 2 dead red oaks taken down and wanted it GONE!!! sorry no pics of the knee deep noodles from the 036.
PS. Reid our wheelbarrow had both handles.:laughing:
20151227_163713.jpg 20151227_163730.jpg 20151227_163748.jpg 3 full pick-up loads. splittin down to size tomorrow.

Unfortunately the nice brown, bare woods are about to come to an abrupt halt. Winter storm watch is up for a foot of snow Tuesday into Wednesday. Just when I was enjoying sliding them oak and beech logs over the leaf covered ground. All good things must come to an end I guess!
I wanted to skid those aspen logs tree length but no chance in that much snow. So I bucked them and used the wagon instead.

Back