Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had a helper,he would out work me and only 14 years old . never bitched and sometimes did not even want to get payed. moved out of state with his mom,i miss that kid.
My first helper grew up and now has a controlling girlfriend. We can only see him now when they are on the outs. He was great with my kids, they consider him an older brother.

i called about a C/L free fire wood ad yesterday.the guy said stihl here/ told him we were on our way. 8 miles from the house. only got 1 load yesterday and finished today. 2 guys for a total of 12 man hrs. had to use a wheel barrow as the guys yard had to many rocks to drive the truck close.he had 2 dead red oaks taken down and wanted it GONE!!! sorry no pics of the knee deep noodles from the 036.
PS. Reid our wheelbarrow had both handles.:laughing:
View attachment 473824 View attachment 473825 View attachment 473826 3 full pick-up loads. splittin down to size tomorrow.
got most of this split yesterday and stacked the not ready to burn in a good sunny spot to dry. that pile was a tad over a 1/2 cord. had a couple stop and they wanted wood so i directed them to my dry bins. noooo the wanted the fresh stuff. told them it's not ready to burn. the guy said that's ok his wife liked the nice neat stacked pile and that's what she wanted.:crazy2: from what i gathered it's their ambiance wood for next year.:rolleyes:

got most of this split yesterday and stacked the not ready to burn in a good sunny spot to dry. that pile was a tad over a 1/2 cord. had a couple stop and they wanted wood so i directed them to my dry bins. noooo the wanted the fresh stuff. told them it's not ready to burn. the guy said that's ok his wife liked the nice neat stacked pile and that's what she wanted.:crazy2: from what i gathered it's their ambience wood for next year.:rolleyes:

A sale is a sale even if its not what you recommend.

Back on the topic of breaking your back bending over splitting wood in the summer I was helping a family friend split 20 cords of oak and beech well anyways my back started to get sore so I put the splitter up on 6x6 blocks and it was quite nice but that want enough so I added some more and I stuck a piece of wood on the splitter started splitting it and the splitter rolled on me and broke my ankle
Here's a pic of my apparatus before I added blocks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
I don't have any experience with a hydraulic splitter ( I don't have that much need; it's mostly for cooking.) but my boss who uses more wood for heating, just got his own splitter just before Thanksgiving. (He borrowed other people's before.) It is a Troy-bilt 27 ton horizontal/vertical. Apparently the one he borrowed before also goes vertical. He says he just sits on a chair beside the splitter and handles things from a seated position until he needs to get up and move splits away or move rounds in close. Not that much bending over.

The Troy-bilt he got was from Lowe's, a return/repaired unit marked down with another ten per cent off that price because it had been there a week. Out the door for $924 I think he said. He was looking for a splitter for under $1000. You could find some on craigslist, but used and not handy, 20 to 30 or more miles away and used of course. I spotted it at lunch and told him about it. He went as soon as he could get away. About 3 miles form work. He might be getting to use it this week.

Back on the topic of breaking your back bending over splitting wood in the summer I was helping a family friend split 20 cords of oak and beech well anyways my back started to get sore so I put the splitter up on 6x6 blocks and it was quite nice but that want enough so I added some more and I stuck a piece of wood on the splitter started splitting it and the splitter rolled on me and broke my ankle
Here's a pic of my apparatus before I added blocks
Sorry to hear about the ankle. Not a bad idea though, maybe weld a couple scissor jacks under it and a tongue jack

I still can't believe I rocked 3 chains today. Oh well.
Found a grand total of 20 nails in a largish trunk scrounged off a local street corner a few days ago. Too big for harry homeowner to deal with. Rolled down there with my tractor, cut it in half, one bit on back of truck, other bit in log forks, and rolled round to an elderly neighbour's to cut and split it for her. The tree had about 50 years worth of nails from assorted street signs over the years. My metal detector earned its keep and I only munted one chain and put two new dents in the leading edge of my splitter wedge. But neighbour was happy. She's about 80 and fighting fit. It was hosing down and I had to order her to park her wheelbarrow and get out of the rain and she didn't like being sacked.

Latest posts

Back