Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope not gonna happen. " I haven't even had a chance to run the 365xt. And the now MM CS -400 is my favorite little saw. I actually use it more the my 50cc MS271 as its lighter and has plenty of power:innocent:&:happybanana:. It is usually an offer(300), counter offer(325) or no and we are either going to make an deal or not. I am not one to give a song and a dance about why I want a price or not.
Thats a pretty good song and dance right there, let me play a little tune:guitar:
But wait, I don't counter offer either, 325 rescinded lol.

I do want to get my boy a nice little little saw, he uses the 192t with me holding it, but I won't let him run a top handle by himself.
I've been looking hard at those little echos as they are hard to beat for the price and they are light for the price.

Thats a pretty good song and dance right there, let me play a little tune:guitar:

I do want to get my boy a nice little little saw, he uses the 192t with me holding it, but I won't let him run a top handle by himself.
I've been looking hard at those little echos as they are hard to beat for the price and they are light for the price.

Second generation brushless motor oregon battery saws look pretty nice. Just another option.

That's awesome.

I expect people to haggle but it drives me nuts when people lowball without seeing the item. I never deal on price over the phone/email unless it's pretty close to what I'm asking.

I dont mind the negotiation. But if you have pictures on CL, then I can see the item. I dont need to drive to you to look at it. I have found negotiating when I go to look at an item at someones place actually makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Thats why I do it in email to get it over with and give them a chance to consider my offer without having to make a decision right now. Also it doesn't waste anyone's time. I usually have 30-40 minute drive to go look at someone's saw on CL so by the time I am showing up I want everything but a quick look at the saw taken care of. But that's how I operate. Everyone is different. Then again I'm not buying off of any of you guys anyways so whats it matter.

Haha. It takes all types in business. There is even a sale for the guy that wants $500 for a brick of 22LR.

I have been growing very fond of the smaller cc echo's. They start easy, have good av, are light, and mine haven't given me a lick of trouble. If you want to MM them, it is a pretty darn easy job all you need a a hole saw, dremel and little screw driver. Of the CS 310 and the CS 400 I like the CS 400 better it has more power but that may not be what you are looking for with your boy. The small echo's can be had at very reasonably prices on CL. I have no experience with the bigger echo's. I really do like the price point on the smaller echos.

I dont mind the negotiation. But if you have pictures on CL, then I can see the item. I dont need to drive to you to look at it. I have found negotiating when I go to look at an item at someones place actually makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Thats why I do it in email to get it over with and give them a chance to consider my offer without having to make a decision right now. Also it doesn't waste anyone's time. I usually have 30-40 minute drive to go look at someone's saw on CL so by the time I am showing up I want everything but a quick look at the saw taken care of. But that's how I operate. Everyone is different. Then again I'm not buying off of any of you guys anyways so whats it matter.
I don't mind negotiation at all. I just hate lowballers, especially those who insult the item repeatedly in hopes it will make you lower the price.

I don't mind negotiation at all. I just hate lowballers, especially those who insult the item repeatedly in hopes it will make you lower the price.
'

Why would some tell you how much of a POS your item is to try and get the price down? :angry: That makes no sense. If I'm interested enough to make an offer it is obviously good enough for me.
Although I find it interesting a bunch of free firewood scroungers/beggars (sometimes) don't seem to have much tolerance for negotiators or low ball offering buyers.

'

Why would some tell you how much of a POS your item is to try and get the price down? :angry: That makes no sense. If I'm interested enough to make an offer it is obviously good enough for me.
Although I find it interesting a bunch of free firewood scroungers/beggars (sometimes) don't seem to have much tolerance for negotiators or low ball offering buyers.
That's a common tactic up here. Lets find every problem with your item and then make you painfully aware of it.

If I am selling a fixer up-er of any type I make it very clear in the ad. At that point I am just ready to be rid of it and will take any reasonable offer.

OTOH if I have a good item that I know is worth X, I will not tolerate some tire kicker badmouthing it because he thinks he can drive me down to 1/2X. Not happening bro.

There is a way to respectfully haggle, and there are many who do not.

A "scrounger" is a different beast than a lowballer. If we are scrounging we are actually doing people favors by ridding their yard of wood LOL.

I sold a fixer up-er snowmobile last week. I had bought it thinking it needed carb work and it actually had a dead cylinder (that is on me for not checking).

I put it up on Facebook buy sell and had a guy offer me $100 extra if I delivered it. SOLD! Wish more deals could be like that LOL.
Great deal, love it when a plan comes together better than expected, makes up for when it doesn't.
Did that last yr on a log splitter. Made a package deal to a guy for a 455 rancher and a 22ton huskee splitter dropped the price by 25 each which is really what I expected anyway. He couldn't get his BIL's truck to get the splitter and told me he'd give me full asking price to deliver. I agreed not knowing where he lived, come to find out it was 4 miles away:givebeer:, oh wait I'll buy:cheers:

I try to describe things fairly and ask a fair price, or at least what I really want for the item. I don't start with a 'shoot the moon' price. It should be a good deal for both parties.

A couple of times I have raised the price when people say that 'they like to negotiate'. Somehow, they don't seem to expect or like that.

A couple of times I have had people agree to a price, then show up and say that they did not bring enough money . . . .

I had a bad experience where some women wanted a large TV my housemate was selling, but did not have a way to move it. After we carried it up 2 flights of stairs, they changed their minds. I don't deliver.

I have had people who refuse to come to my house (afraid I will rob them, even though they have my address, phone number, etc.), so occasionally I will meet at a nearby coffee shop, if it is not too big to carry. Was stood up once at one of those, so I state that I will only wait 10 minutes. I get a phone number upfront and speak to them - no email only meetings.

But these things all belong in the Craigslist Laughs thread (unless, of course, they are about negotiating for firewood!).
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/craigslist-laughs.76338/

Philbert

I did have a guy respond to my wanted ad on CL that he had 4-6 cords of rounds that he wanted to get rid of but he wanted to get a little something for them. Since they were already cut he said all the work was done they just needed split. He never named a price but in the end I wasn't going to buy. It wasnt snob wood. I didnt want to tell him that all the fun was done and all that was left was the work hulling, splitting, stacking is work. Running the saws is the fun part. Plus I question his estimate of having 4-6 cords of wood since that is kind of a large range. Anyways I encouraged him to sell the wood and never heard from him again. It was kind of a funny exchange since it started out as I have wood for free and ended with I would like to get a little money for it.

'

Heres what I read somewhere: The buyer haggles over the price, saying, "It's worthless," then brags about getting a bargain!
I like to tell them it probably isn't the right one for you, I'm done talking basically, and so are you.
I don't do this(sounds like you don't either), but many do. I try to treat people like I expect to be treaded, thats why I never lowball(hit below the belt), and if someone tries to hit me below the belt they will get blocked or worse yet a counter move:muscle:I do look kinda like that, at least the smiling and bald part LOL

If an item is in the free section (Scrounge), take it. If it is listed for sale be considerate(no lowballing), respectful offers accepted unless stated in the ad. Feel free to scrounge around for a better deal, then hustle on over and buy it:).
I get what you are saying, to me it's more how we go about it, the attitude involved.

I try to describe things fairly and ask a fair price, or at least what I really want for the item. I don't start with a 'shoot the moon' price. It should be a good deal for both parties.

A couple of times I have raised the price when people say that 'they like to negotiate'. Somehow, they don't seem to expect or like that.

A couple of times I have had people agree to a price, then show up and say that they did not bring enough money . . . .

I had a bad experience where some women wanted a large TV my housemate was selling, but did not have a way to move it. After we carried it up 2 flights of stairs, they changed their minds. I don't deliver.

I have had people who refuse to come to my house (afraid I will rob them, even though they have my address, phone number, etc.), so occasionally I will meet at a nearby coffee shop, if it is not too big to carry. Was stood up once at one of those, so I state that I will only wait 10 minutes.

But these things all belong in the Craigslist Laughs thread (unless, of course, they are about negotiating for firewood!).
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/craigslist-laughs.76338/

Philbert

Agreed

Same

Ditto

I do, I prefere the money first, have a crazy story, but it will need to go in the other thread per Moderator Philbert:).

I was delivering 2 honda generators to a guy in Chicago, about half way there and he asked if they were stolen, I asked if the money was freshly printed.

I've never been there, later I guess.

Confession
It's been almost 24hrs since my last scrounge, and I'm starting to feel a little anxious.
Lots to do, it been fun.
See you on the other side NA:drinkingcoffee:

One time my BIL was selling a car. (My other BIL was there and retells the story and it is darn funny) Guy shows up and proceeds to tear my BIL up one side and down another about how he was only going to pay X for that car. So my BIL jumps in the car, tears down the driveway, does a big burnout, rips down the road, jumps it over the railroad tracks, whips a "u-ee", jumps it over the railroad tracks again, and returns to the yard in similar fashion. (This is way out in the country BTW).

Guy buying car: "WTF was that?"
BIL: "Well you said you wanted to buy a car for X. I was making this car worth X so now you can buy it."
Guy: "You are an a-hole"
BIL: "You gonna buy the car or not?"
Guy: (Sheepishly) "Yes"

That's a common tactic up here. Lets find every problem with your item and then make you painfully aware of it.

If I am selling a fixer up-er of any type I make it very clear in the ad. At that point I am just ready to be rid of it and will take any reasonable offer.

OTOH if I have a good item that I know is worth X, I will not tolerate some tire kicker badmouthing it because he thinks he can drive me down to 1/2X. Not happening bro.

There is a way to respectfully haggle, and there are many who do not.

A "scrounger" is a different beast than a lowballer. If we are scrounging we are actually doing people favors by ridding their yard of wood LOL.

That "cut it down and buy it cheap" tactic is the standard here and is why I really, really hate to sell anything. The condition, price, location, and time of viewing the item is agreed to during the phone conversation. The buyer arrives 20 minutes late and starts nit-picking the imperfections and offering less money when I intentionally set a bargain price for a quick sale. I say "No deal", turn around and start walking to the house. Even if he yells my asking price I continue walking because there is a good chance he would take it home and then call back in a couple days whining that he found a loose bolt or other little thing wrong. I have no patience for this.

Back