Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small scrounge from Friday.
I got this between appointments so I was limited on time. Picked this spot up a couple weeks ago and there was a lot of brush blocking access to the wood along the back of the pile. I figured I'd drop my tractor off one day and get everything opened up and accessible. Driving by I saw some new little sticks laying there (front of the trailer)and figured I have the trailer and a few minutes, scrounge on. So as I grabbed the smaller stuff something looked different, much to my surprise they had pushed the smallest brush away from the farthest back part of the pile:clap:.
Grabbed the 441 and made a few quick cuts and realized that I had forgotten about my appointment in the excitement so I loaded what I could and took off, I made it to my meeting with 2 min to spare :D. There is plenty more there as you can see and also some logs I'm not sure how to get yet as the only access I'm aware of is from the expressway :surprised3:. Most of the wood seems to be hard maple and ash, all pre seasoned:).
20160408_110753.jpg20160408_104551.jpg Here's a couple pictures of what we woke up to yesterday morning :sweet:.20160409_082904.jpg20160409_082935.jpg 20160409_082941.jpg My little load got all snowy. I haven't felt well for a while, but managed to split all the stuff except the rounds in the very front row as I'm trying hard as I can to take it easy.

Picked this up yesterday to add to the wood scrounging arsenal. Haven't determined if it's worth it to make it completely roadworthy or just use as a woods trailer, but the price was right (free!) Appears that it even has LED taillights. The rest of it is a little long in the tooth though.
View attachment 497171

Love it, and you absolutely got a great price. Might come in handy for tight spots hooked to an ATV?

Nice looking property and stacks.

I got this between appointments so I was limited on time. Picked this spot up a couple weeks ago and there was a lot of brush blocking access to the wood along the back of the pile. I figured I'd drop my tractor off one day and get everything opened up and accessible. Driving by I saw some new little sticks laying there (front of the trailer)and figured I have the trailer and a few minutes, scrounge on. So as I grabbed the smaller stuff something looked different, much to my surprise they had pushed the smallest brush away from the farthest back part of the pile:clap:.
Grabbed the 441 and made a few quick cuts and realized that I had forgotten about my appointment in the excitement so I loaded what I could and took off, I made it to my meeting with 2 min to spare :D. There is plenty more there as you can see and also some logs I'm not sure how to get yet as the only access I'm aware of is from the expressway :surprised3:. Most of the wood seems to be hard maple and ash, all pre seasoned:).
View attachment 497338View attachment 497339 Here's a couple pictures of what we woke up to yesterday morning :sweet:.View attachment 497340View attachment 497341 View attachment 497342 My little load got all snowy. I haven't felt well for a while, but managed to split all the stuff except the rounds in the very front row as I'm trying hard as I can to take it easy.
That's a nice score for a quick scrounge, are you going back for the rest when the snow clears ? You've got a nice trailer! That's not aluminum is it? Hope ya get to feelin better.

Yesterday's work.

Oak burl and a couple chunks.
IMG_20160409_183419650_zpsyemimrcl.jpg

Big pile
IMG_20160409_150647600_zps6kdpbtas.jpg

Lightly pushed dozer wood, this was an easy pick. Usually Dozer wood is dirty and tight. This one was super clean and the owner left us some wiggle room. Put a hurtin on the trailer and I think I just started to touch the power in my truck.
IMG_20160409_150511904_zpsstwfzzlf.jpg

Got to run this old girl, one of the saws I learned to cut with years ago. Still strong as an ox.
IMG_20160409_123557899_HDR_zpsjhaetjbx.jpg

And then after a break we hit the woods and dropped a nice Walnut that was 90° over the creek. The bank had eroded away so I cut it off and chunked it out. Should be going back after it and Bitternut Hickory that's destined to fall in the creek soon as well.

That's a nice score for a quick scrounge, are you going back for the rest when the snow clears ? You've got a nice trailer! That's not aluminum is it? Hope ya get to feelin better.
Thanks. Around here we don't wait for the snow to clear. When it's only a couple inches thats time to work hardest especially if the ground is frozen:).
Thanks, and yes it's aluminum.
Thanks, sick of being sick this crud seems to stick with everyone antibiotics or not.
I'm trying to not over do it, but it's hard not doing anything.

Thanks. Around here we don't wait for the snow to clear. When it's only a couple inches thats time to work hardest especially if the ground is frozen:).
Thanks, and yes it's aluminum.
Thanks, sick of being sick this crud seems to stick with everyone antibiotics or not.
I'm trying to not over do it, but it's hard not doing anything.
I guess you'd probably work in the snow, thought about that after I posted.

I'll bet that trailer feels non existent behind the vehicle. My boss has a aluminum mower trailer, went to put my weight into it the first time I moved it and nearly ate pavement because it was unbelievably light. Someday......

Wow guys, been a while.
I'm caught up on all my reading here.
Here's a nice load I got this week from one of the electric companies sub stations. I will go back and get some stuff that has been there a while thats ready to burn, but it's in the city and no one has touched it for yrs so I don't think it will walk away.View attachment 496091 Same load at the house. The pile is getting a little bigger, and all this is now on it.View attachment 496092 Looking to do about another 95+ cord this yr.

there is that shiny silver 'race car' tailer again!..... loaded, of course!! :)

Its warmed up this side of the Atlantic. I took the winter tyres off the car yesterday....so it'll probably start snowing tomorrow.

Keep the fires burning fellas

everyday a campfire LN! even in aug, so TX and 96F out... never not a reason for a campfire!!! :)

:drinkingcoffee: (tea)

lol

Brutus, loves to sport a daily campfire. found this unit down the greenbelt. [free] replacement value approx. $1800.00 US. took me couple years to figger out how to simply move it to my place... once figgered... went and got it. as soon as it was on my property... 20 mins later it had a campfire in it. been burning ever since. one main reason i scrounge! ;) also a great baked potato baker, too. nice 'under hearth' oven. I just :heart: Brutus!!! :) we B buds.... :yes:

~ never not a reason for a campfire!!!

BYL8.png

Crappy day out here so I figured I would just stay in the cab today. Grapple works good on the blow down cedars. Pic testing the leverage and adjusting the tire chains. I still haven't got it mounted on the back yet but have everything built for it to mount there. I think on the back will work much better. The rear end is just too light to lift anything with it on the loader it will pull good but no chance of lifting a decent tree and driving. Should save a lot of on and off when I do get it put on the rear end.
View attachment 496308 View attachment 496309 View attachment 496310

WOW! :surprised3:

Picked this up yesterday to add to the wood scrounging arsenal. Haven't determined if it's worth it to make it completely roadworthy or just use as a woods trailer, but the price was right (free!) Appears that it even has LED taillights. The rest of it is a little long in the tooth though.
View attachment 497171

for free? you Suc... umm, did well... lol. if I could give you 5 mo' Likes, I would! ;)

View attachment 497338View attachment 497339 Here's a couple pictures of what we woke up to yesterday morning :sweet:.View attachment 497340View attachment 497341 View attachment 497342 My little load got all snowy. I haven't felt well for a while, but managed to split all the stuff except the rounds in the very front row as I'm trying hard as I can to take it easy.

like the snow pix! :) always like seeing untracked snow... powder or wet... I have many runs under my belt in the back bowls of Vail, CO... busting fresh tracks thru the deep, fresh... light as a feather... picture postcard perfect... powder snow there... Aspen Mountain, too. :)

Yesterday's work.

Oak burl and a couple chunks.
IMG_20160409_183419650_zpsyemimrcl.jpg

Big pile
IMG_20160409_150647600_zps6kdpbtas.jpg

Lightly pushed dozer wood, this was an easy pick. Usually Dozer wood is dirty and tight. This one was super clean and the owner left us some wiggle room. Put a hurtin on the trailer and I think I just started to touch the power in my truck.
IMG_20160409_150511904_zpsstwfzzlf.jpg

Got to run this old girl, one of the saws I learned to cut with years ago. Still strong as an ox.
IMG_20160409_123557899_HDR_zpsjhaetjbx.jpg

And then after a break we hit the woods and dropped a nice Walnut that was 90° over the creek. The bank had eroded away so I cut it off and chunked it out. Should be going back after it and Bitternut Hickory that's destined to fall in the creek soon as well.

good pix, foto essay... here is another 'thumbs up!' :)

Back