Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, I'll check with you if my new top cover ever arrives lol.
Another option to provide more air is to open up the area where the rear handle and top cover almost meet. It has a "hood" over it and when you cut out the plastic under the hood, it provides an opening approx. 1/2"X1/2" and nobody sees it.

just blunted another chain on 'Wirefest Ash', grrrr. At least I had some more luck this time. 1 and 3/4 tank fulls of fresh mix put through the saw cutting up the last of the stuff that was too big to move and with careful studying and luck, this time I avoided the barbed wire every piece had, then it was time for 'WIREFEST'! Sorry I forgot to get a photo, so you'll have to imagine. Ash piece about 2 foot diameter, sliced on the wonk by the tree guy and far to long for the stove at one side, plus impossible to split that side due to a branch crotch. I'd split some of the other side off then I'd managed to bury two 5lb wedges in the thing and nothing, it was not gong to split any more. Now this piece of Ash had a lot of wire. I cold see 5 entry pieces. 2 in the bottom cut made by the tree guy, one of those looked ugly, one in the top wonk cut and 2 appearing from the bark on opposite sides with a faint scar linking them. 5! now I'm smart (sometimes) and I know wire, like string, has 2 ends and multiples of 2 don't make 5. So I knew there was more wire but i couldn't find it despite a lot of searching. I also realsied I had very little idea what bit jined what other bit. oh dear. deciding I needed to get the branch from the side and to slice the wonky round left down to stove length I sort of convinced myself i might be cutting away from wire. I also deduced/guessed where i might hit it and started cutting with the aim of cutting in form diffent sides, and working to 2 differrent cuts as much as possible, before i'd get to the wire. well it kinda worked....but then i hit wire unexpectedly, then more that was kind of expected, then more. blunt chain and empty tank. Wirefest is still intact but both cuts are over 3/4ers done. I'm gong to get the sledge and wedges and get brutal on that thing some more, I'm hopeful I'l bust it. B****y hope so!

Have you people that complain about bar Oil causing bar ware have you considered sharpening your chains at the proper angles n a consistent manor and lowering the rakers so the chain feeds without forcing it downward. If when operating your power saw the chain is not producing large long curly chips but is producing powder commonly referred to AZ bug dust and you are forcing it with all your might downward trying to cut through the wood resulting in excessive Heat on the bar rails it really doesn't matter what kind of oil you're running if any oil at all... no offense

Dropped this off tonight , ready for scrounging tomorrow :)

IMG_20160930_191904.jpg

Wowser, Let me know what chains you are looking for and I can let him know. Only takes a couple of days to get stuff in. Not sure what lube it was, I buy so much crap at auctions and was just using it up. It did work decent though.
I finished cutting up the logs and the bar still looks the same. Even put a brand new chain on for the last 40, chain still cut good and didn't over heat. Even split a bunch up.
IMG_20160930_171125.jpg IMG_20160930_171157.jpg IMG_20160930_131749.jpg IMG_20160930_180749.jpg

I finished splitting those 40" Oak rounds today. Was working on em yesterday by myself, using a hand truck to move em. Had to hook the top of the piece with the X27 to keep it from tilting away from the hand truck. Found it was best to feed the vertical splitter with the sawed flat side down, & bark up. Worked!

Hey Nate, I did about the same 2 years ago, with with the TSC 22 ton, very happy with it. I had split over 15 cord by hand that year, and started getting tennis elbow and had to start me saws left handed ... so I said enough and got the hydro. Elbow is just fine now! I've also split about 60 cord with it since then w/o a hiccup.

Mike those are some big pieces of oak, they must be heavy! A lot of work by yourself.
Glad your elbow is doing better and you have had good luck with your splitter. I really do like this splitter, I've had issues with my elbow, shoulder, and back as well. Exrays couple years ago showed lowest disk in my back was almost gone. I use splitter in vertical mode even for small rounds, works great, standing and lifting is what gets me. I was sceptical about short beam at first too Hinerman but really no need for longer one, and it's lighter and eiser to move around this way.

Wowser, Let me know what chains you are looking for and I can let him know. Only takes a couple of days to get stuff in. Not sure what lube it was, I buy so much crap at auctions and was just using it up. It did work decent though.
I finished cutting up the logs and the bar still looks the same. Even put a brand new chain on for the last 40, chain still cut good and didn't over heat. Even split a bunch up.
View attachment 528692 View attachment 528693 View attachment 528694 View attachment 528695
looks good. do you have any problem with splits getting stuck in the elevator? i have an old one sitting here with a brand new motor on but have yet to try it out for wood.

Back