Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished splitting those 40" Oak rounds today. Was working on em yesterday by myself, using a hand truck to move em. Had to hook the top of the piece with the X27 to keep it from tilting away from the hand truck. Found it was best to feed the vertical splitter with the sawed flat side down, & bark up. Worked!

Hey Nate, I did about the same 2 years ago, with with the TSC 22 ton, very happy with it. I had split over 15 cord by hand that year, and started getting tennis elbow and had to start me saws left handed ... so I said enough and got the hydro. Elbow is just fine now! I've also split about 60 cord with it since then w/o a hiccup.
Was going to say your count has to be up there. Every tree you cut is usually over a cord a piece!

I had tennis elbow the first couple of years I got into saws but I attribute it more to using heavy saws for lots of limbing although hand splitting sure didn't help it!

I'm slacking, only at around 15 cords this year. Will be lucky to crack 20.

Pffft oak , there's that oak again ,oak oak oak ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cry:

I went out to the scrounge lot today , I had a friend show up that wanted to see what I did for ground work , he's an arborist so climbing and ropes are his gig . He bought a woodlot a couple of years ago so this is new to some degree to him .
I showed him the tractors , winch , chokers , my log tongues , felling leavers , the self opening snatch block and the why I used the stuff I have . Of course I was happy to have a choker chaser for a couple of hours today :)

IMG_20161001_130056.jpg

IMG_20161001_111620.jpg

IMG_20161001_165413.jpg

We got some wood winched and decked and he learned how efficient that tail ziptied was at cutting 4' or 8' wood .
I've got wood already to winch tomorrow am , it was a good day .

IMG_20161001_165304.jpg

I did find a sugar maple :)

IMG_20161001_165238.jpg

Scrounge on gentleman !

image (4).jpeg Are your Springs broken? I think that's the funniest thing I've ever seen. You have two or three rows of wood in a pickup truck and the rear bumper is dragging on the ground and the front wheels are popping off the ground... perhaps you should have your wife take that back to the dealer and find out if they have any men's trucks for sale... no offense...just something to consider before you get the notion to post another picture on the internet lol

Are your Springs broken? I think that's the funniest thing I've ever seen. You have two or three rows of wood in a pickup truck and the rear bumper is dragging on the ground and the front wheels are popping off the ground... perhaps you should have your wife take that back to the dealer and find out if they have any men's trucks for sale... no offense...just something to consider before you get the notion to post another picture on the internet lol

Feeling froggy I take it? You should get an eye exam- all 4 on the ground. Maybe learn to count while you're at it

Looked like a fine load to me considering the weight of wet oak , dead standing or green , it's wet and heavy .

Thanks! The truck is paid for- I can atleast say that. That was the whole tree, no branches, 20 inches at the stump. I think a cord of white oak, dried, is around 4600 lbs. I'm sure that wasn't dried and that was a half cord plus.

Nearing peak color here. It's been a long day so I'm turning in early. Plenty of work to do for the next two days.

IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG

Second picture is my yard. Sadly the red maple on the left is in decline but I'm going to let it stand till it's fully dead. The two big aspen on the right are nearly half dead and will probably come down next year.

Thanks! The truck is paid for- I can atleast say that. That was the whole tree, no branches, 20 inches at the stump. I think a cord of white oak, dried, is around 4600 lbs. I'm sure that wasn't dried and that was a half cord plus.

Looks like possibly a half ton pickup? If so definitely over payload with that amount of wood so you can't really expect it to sit upright. I'd like to see a half ton not sag at that :) only way to help level it would be airbags. Keep on keepin on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearing peak color here. It's been a long day so I'm turning in early. Plenty of work to do for the next two days.

View attachment 528958
View attachment 528957

Second picture is my yard. Sadly the red maple on the left is in decline but I'm going to let it stand till it's fully dead. The two big aspen on the right are nearly half dead and will probably come down next year.

That's some beautiful country right there! One day I want to go see a part of the country that actually has "fall". We have dead or alive...brown or green haha

That's some beautiful country right there! One day I want to go see a part of the country that actually has "fall". We have dead or alive...brown or green haha

A lot of trees already turning around here, mostly the Sugar Maples turn first, and are IMO the most beautiful. They can have bright orange, yellow & red all in one tree, spectacular in a good year.

A lot of trees already turning around here, mostly the Sugar Maples turn first, and are IMO the most beautiful. They can have bright orange, yellow & red all in one tree, spectacular in a good year.

You can find the occasional beautiful looking tree here but not so much. Of course a lot depends on the part of the state since it covers a broad area. NY is definitely on our list to travel to. Anywhere In the NE

If you make the trip, say so, I know of lots of nice places to see. I have run into folks from Texas before who did not believe we could hunt Bear in NY, but we have the Catskill Mtns, Adirondack Mtns, and the Finger Lakes, there is a lot to see in NY.

Will do. We are hoping for maybe next fall. Gotta save up money again. I'll try and remember to hit you up. I love some good hunting. Bear would be a new adventure.

Latest posts

Back