Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warmest Christmas I can remember in a long time. I believe it hit 60*. Last year at this time we had almost 3 feet of snow in the woods. I work security and maintenance at a retirement community on weekends and holidays, and the old folks were out walking off dinner in short sleeve shirts. They figured they better enjoy it cause snow,sleet and a half inch of freezing rain is on the way for Saturday night and Sunday. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Was the same here , 60* and sunny yesterday , 41* and sunny today with 5" to 7" on the way tomorrow for our winter start .
I hope the ground firms up a bit today , my little Bota is stuck in the mud down the hill behind the house with a bucket load of dry scrounged firewood and my woodrack is empty :(

CLINT!!!!!!!!!!! wake up.
70d05c8116bd40ca83aef63de8eae718.jpg

Was the same here , 60* and sunny yesterday , 41* and sunny today with 5" to 7" on the way tomorrow for our winter start .
I hope the ground firms up a bit today , my little Bota is stuck in the mud down the hill behind the house with a bucket load of dry scrounged firewood and my woodrack is empty :(

What, no wood to burn at all?

View attachment 472897 View attachment 472898 View attachment 472899 This stick fell out of a tree nearby and I've had my eye on it. Saw the homeowner outside today and said to him "don't know about your plans for that wood there, but if you want it to disappear, I can make that happen" he said it was mine if I wanted it. Maple...I mean merry Christmas to me!
I even had 4 rounds on the floor in the back seat!
Hope all you fellow scroungers have a safe and happy Christmas with your family. God bless.

Not only is that a great load of wood, I love your casual and direct approach, "don't know about your plans for that wood there, but if you want it to disappear, I can make that happen". No BS involved here and effective.

Couple of inches of snow today, with 8 inches more expected tomorrow. Going to put a damper on a wood scrounging expedition I had planned.
On the bright side... FedEx showed up, followed quickly by UPS so screw Santa... I got the goodies, anyway!

My baby is back home with her Cancer of Mediocrity cured...

View attachment 472906

And a new horse in the stable...

View attachment 472908

View attachment 472909

Got two bars coming for the Dolmar... a 32" Total Super Bar and a 24" Sugimara Light & Tough and several chains for each.

My neighbors better keep an eye on their ragged-ass trees... I'm about to go on a Nebraska Chainsaw Elm/Ash Massacre as soon as I find my hockey mask!

NICE!!!!!!

Pleaaaaaase tell me you had an unlimited coil put in. :happybanana:

Interested to hear your reports on how it handles the 32" Super Bar.

tractor, bah humbug..you need these things for your van!

Way to feed the bear Zog.....way to feed the bear....:D

Right on! I work in Jeff, so thirty minutes apart on a good day. If there's anything I can ever help with, don't hesitate to ask. Have you found the Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG thread yet? Most folks are in SW MO, Ok, KS, and IA, but a great bunch of guys. Pop in and say hi if you feel like it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...x-gtg-next-gtg-12-12-2015-carthage-mo.158438/

Nice to talk to ya'.

Cheers,
Well thank you, always glad to help. I have not checked out th Oaklahoma GTG thread yet. I will have to take a look.

OK, break time is over! Put the new 36" light bar with RSLH on that 460/046-D Beast Randy build for me, and went out and cut down an Oak, Red Oak that is.

Was actually a little bigger than the bar was meant to handle, and had a little lean toward the back corner of the house, with the septic fields between the tree and the house, so pulling it a bit, and dropping it right along the tree line was critical, and luckily all went as planned! I pounded 2 sets of double wedges in the backcut just to help it break early and keep a good hinge. Worked like a charm, But first I had to clear the way by dropping two small Sugar Maples and a moderate size Black Birch. I also had to modify the tree a bit to use just a 36" bar, so glad I learned things from this site!

I must say that saw pulled that bar very nicely, like as if it were a 90 cc saw or something! Was making wood chips so fast bucking it that the homeowner went and got a snow shovel & rake to remove them! Ran all the other saws and they all did just fine, but the star of the day on this tree was that ported 460 and that 36" light bar, was real happy I had it, as I did not want to be working on the low side of the tree!

I left a 12' long log in case we want to do some wood working, and bucked the rest of it firewood size W/O ROCKING A SINGLE CHAIN!!! (No easy task with a log that big, and that heavy Oak really makes an impression in the ground when it comes down).

So now I have more firewood for next year, enjoy the pics!!!

Attachments

• 40inOak12-26-15 001.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 001.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 40inOak12-26-15 002.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 002.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 74
  • 40inOak12-26-15 005.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 40inOak12-26-15 010.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 010.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 40inOak12-26-15 011.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 011.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 40inOak12-26-15 012.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 012.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 82
  • 40inOak12-26-15 014.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 014.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 86
  • 40inOak12-26-15 015.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 015.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 40inOak12-26-15 017.jpg
    40inOak12-26-15 017.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
Yeah, it's got that mod, oiler mod... bars and chains should be here tomorrow, going to be hard to resist the urge to deforest a city park or a golf course or something... :pingpong:

You are really going to like that saw. I love both of mine. The unlimited coil makes a big difference.

Back