Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will be inheriting the best Country at the best time in history that the WW II generation worked their fingers to the bone for and gave to us. I hope they appreciate it and don't continue to screw it up, as is currently happening.

Civilization is going in reverse, everyone has to lock their cars and homes, there are school and workplace shootings, you have to take your shoes off to get on a plane ... we are going backwards!!!! A little more religion (or moral values), respect for elders (and authority figures) and pride (ashamed of going on welfare) is sorely needed in today's society, in addition to a much better work ethic.

The sacrifices made by the WW II generation, who generally grew up in the depression and had nothing, endured the most brutal war in history, then returned home and worked tirelessly to provide a better life to future generations, is not appreciated nearly enough. This entitlement garbage has to go.
When I got hired at UPS for Christmas 85, I was told if I missed "1" day, I would not have a job on Jan, 1st. Now, if the Christmas help work the five days before Christmas, with out missing one, they get a couple hundred dollar bonus. As a shop steward for 25 years, I'd tell the new kids about the only thing we could not protect them from was theft and not coming to work. You steal something you are gone, you don't come to work every day, you don't want a job. I had one young guy that was looking at a one day suspension for "absent no call". He said he had great attendance. This was in October. When the manager came in with his attendance record, turned out he had not worked one full week all year. I asked him if he was "trying to make me look like a fool, not one full week all year, and I'm trying to keep him out of trouble?" He looked at me and straight faced as could be said, "4 days out of 5 is great attendance!" That's what I had to try and defend. Now and then we would get a good kid, but, they would move on to bigger and better things after a couple years, Joe.

My former boss' assistant was fair at best. He (Boss) needed a front desk clerk and hired his assistant's boyfriend as a temp. As a temp he was awesome. The minute he was hired full time both of their productivity and attendance fell off the map. Both were written up numerous times and were near termination. She finally quit knowing she was out of excuses. He took a different position within the company and I hear he's doing ok. Except when I worked in a car wash in college I've never seen such poor performance as I did out of their daily circus act.

My unlimited Iron bark is on hold, my mate got a call from the council apparently someone put in a complaint that we'd been cutting down live trees without council permission. This never happened but he's sorting it out, hope he sorts it out soon as I don't want to go cutting when it warms up.

:angry: . This sort of thing does my head in. Once upon a time, if you owned land you could do with it what you chose. I don't remember ever being asked at an election whether limits should be placed on knocking a tree over or not, some green-tinged government duckhead just made it so with the stroke of a pen. One of the unintended consequences now being that some whiner who didn't like you disturbing their Sunday afternoon with a chainsaw can make a vexatious complaint anonymously to stop you. In a half sane world, the council's response should have been "Pics or it didn't happen" rather than dragging your mate through some stupid investigation.

Unions once stood for well trained people who created great work. Somewhere along the way, they have morphed into being like defense attorneys, everyone is innocent! As an Audit Manager for NYS (over 30 years, now retired), I would catch people stealing, not showing up for work, etc., and my Union would defend them (even when there was no doubt they were guilty) and make deals to keep them on payroll.

DISGRACEFUL!!!

My only experience with Unions was at UPS and friends that work for the Government. Two different worlds. It's quite easy for the Company to fire a UPS employee if they document their case. I had a friend that got fired just for being stupid. The traffic in the Wash DC metro area is terrible. When I started in 85 my designated travel path to my route had a time allowance of 28 minutes. When I retired it took an hour and ten minutes on a good day, and the time allowance had never been updated. In 85 our Next Day Air packages had to be delivered by noon, now it's 10. The mileage traveled in a day goes into your planned day, more miles, more allotted time. He was having trouble getting his Next Day Airs delivered on time, so instead of just telling his Sup he couldn't get it done, he tried cutting corners to do it. He started using a different travel path, "The Back Way", and got on route 10-15 minutes earlier. So, he started getting his time committed packages done on time. Then he started coming home the back way also. Losing about 3 miles each way, total of 6 miles lost. The computer that plans your day figured he was now being dispatched with less than 8 hours of work, so they gave him more work, and now he had way too much work. In his convoluted sense of logic, he figured he was supposed to be running more miles, so at the end of the day, he just added the 6 miles in his computer board. Everything worked fine for a few weeks, then in an audit they found the mileage in his board didn't match the mileage on his vehicle, and fired him for dishonesty. His case went to arbitration, where the Union proved he had no personal gain by fudging the numbers and was only making service to his customers. The arbitrator agreed he had no personal gain in the case, but also agreed that he had been dishonest, which is a "Cardinal Sin" in our contract, and upheld the termination. So, even though he was a pretty good, hard working employee, he got fired for being stupid. The company feels they have to make any case of dishonesty an example, so it doesn't encourage slackers to use the same excuse, Joe.

Another case had 3 employees, 2 part time, one full time, shaking all of the snacks out of one of the snack machines and taking them back to their work area selling them for half price. The company had them on video several days in a row. When they busted them they were offered the deal, resign and we won't prosecute for theft. The two part timers resigned. The full time guy told the Union he wanted them to take his case as far as it would go. He said all he did was eat snacks the the two guys gave him, he didn't steal them. Turned out they had him on tape sitting at different tables till he found one with a view of the hall way coming to the break room, he was the look out guy. He lost his case, Joe.

Milled some more Hickory with my Flying Tiger 660 yesterday, then we did the bike ride. Made 4 more 2.25" by 7.5' boards (up to 16" wide), plus the two end pieces.

It was very hot, so we only did 39.1 miles, which seemed like a piece of cake to me since we previously did 48 miles (which was difficult for me). However, some of the members of our group do not seem to tolerate the heat as well as I do, so I finished stronger than most in the group, which was a refreshing change. Don't want to be the caboose all the time!

Attachments

• IMG_20170801_142020983 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170801_142020983 (Large).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170801_144746344 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170801_144746344 (Large).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
If you want a laugh read the propaganda coming out of a monthly union publication.

Have many friends and relatives working in the mines. The number of ridiculous workplace charades protected by unions are sickening. And it lowers productivity as the honest guy finally gets sick of busting for 8 hours while his coworker sits in the bathroom for 2 hours a day.

They figured out you get about 150 minutes of actual work out of an 8 hour a day worker.

Haven't posted anything in a while. About 9 truckloads of fresh cut oak. Should be able to split and stack it by this time next week.

380ddf899103eaac2e62d912b20c5a6e.jpg

Back