Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virginia creeper turns a very similar shade of red, but the leaflets are 5, palmately compound. Very easy to distinguish from poison ivy.

5598-004-08808ACE.jpg

Fall colors? Got you covered:

Poison oak, eastern.
topu1220164.jpg

Poison ivy:
9-poison-ivy.jpg

A dirty rotten variable plant, you cannot count on the fall color for identification.
images

68_fall_foliage_leaves.jpg

This one's kind of pretty:
poison-ivy-crazy-leaf.jpg

virginia-creeper10oct04.jpg

Sumac gets a lot of guys around here still.

Youse guys will like this! I got some guys willing to pay me to haul them some extra wood. Here is my pile of oak across the street. It's just waste wood to me.

View attachment 671531

In fact, all that wood came from just one tree. We didn't even keep the big pieces, either.

whoa... that's a good deal. The envious part of my human nature tells me to try and one-up you but the other parts just say way to go! I never liked that part so im just going to say way to go and move along quietly.

(oh, and please consider all the lamps you could be making from that stash. Just sayin.)

Got all of the yard weed whacked tonight. It was almost dark but I did fire up the 550 for the first time since December and cut a few rounds. Need to touch up that chain as I had last cut some big water oak rounds down in Florida and they must have had grit in the bark. Sitting in front of the fire now. The first time since early June as between the bugs and heat we’ve been unable to be out here at all this summer.

How's the 660? Built her yet? Have you a build thread?

I've a 038 in a similar pile of bits now (my making this time)
ah the famous 660 build, I don't have the time I thought I would to be honest, I used the jug on my other 660 to keep it running so as soon as I find another jug I'll get on it. What's wrong with the 038

If you study up a bit and do some research, a crafty fellow with a bee allergy and poor pocket can get a small bottle of epinephrine and a diabetic syringe for about $15. Then you have about 3 to 10 doses of the right medicine for a tiny fraction of the cost. Naturally, your doctor probably won't help you.

Those epipens are pure piracy; sanctioned by our loving government that sells the rights of ownership to a company that buys them off for the right to screw the public. Many of the outrageous pharmaceutical prices we pay are because of government sanctioned price protections on products that have been on the market for over 50 years.
I can get the syringes free. I talked to a coworker tonight that's diabetic and he said he would bring me a few. Getting the epinephrine seems to be the tricky part. A 30 mill bottle is $6 but you need a script.

85 with a feels like 95 here tomorrow up here in the great white north ,,, bleh
You'll not hear me complain about having to light the furnace lol ,,, Ever :)
Hey Cowboy !
Great pics and happy Bidet !!!

Thanks fellas.

Tell me, when your bride and your kids independently buy you the same birthday card, do you think they are trying to tell you something?

28th Aug 6.jpg

Maybe they're trying to say that I'm not communicative enough? Maybe I should speak more? Help me out here, guys.

The third picture sure looked like it to me. The resolution of the picture wasn't too good, but I would be very surprised to find that it was not the dreaded vine.

Note: you guys that are very allergic? Start taking some pills called Rhus Tox (link). Basically, they are a sugar pill with a diluted dose of poison ivy antigen (the stuff that makes the rash). By eating it on a daily basis, most folks discover that the rashes they get are not as severe, and they eventually become immune to the poison ivy. The pills are not marketed as a cure for poison ivy; rather they talk about arthritis relief. I suspect that there may be some sort of regulation that prevents them from claiming that it works for immune problems. Walgreens has a similar product, too.

During the many years that I have been doing this, I have gotten several guys that worked for me so that they were either immune or at least not bothered as much by the stuff. Myself, I have always been immune, so the pills were never a benefit to me. Imagine it! Walking through the woods, chopping up all the wood & underbrush with absolutely no fear of getting a rash from poison ivy. Yep. That's me. Bees 'n other bug bites don't bother me either, so I am completely unconcerned by any allergies. I seem to have been born for this kind of work.

They come in several concentrations. Start on the weak ones (6x), and work your way up to the 30x. If anyone finds that they actually help with their arthritis, let me know.
i used to watch my buddies dad EAT poison ivy leaves. he would work in ivy infested brush and trees and never got the rash.

Jim, I run a lot of bar sizes, but other than for limbing, I think the most important size is a 20", then if I had to pick another I would go with a 28". Those two bar sizes can usually handle anything.

Not that I don't like a 36" for large wood + or stumping, or that the 24" is not right sometimes, but a 20 + 28 are good for most everything. Longer than 28" (I find) starts getting a little cumbersome to handle.

Thanks fellas.

Tell me, when your bride and your kids independently buy you the same birthday card, do you think they are trying to tell you something?

View attachment 671680

Maybe they're trying to say that I'm not communicative enough? Maybe I should speak more? Help me out here, guys.
Eat more beans! "Beans Beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot". Then you can play "name that tune" with them. More family time is always a good thing.

Eat more beans! "Beans Beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you toot". Then you can play "name that tune" with them. More family time is always a good thing.
@rarefish383 Here is the entire verse.
Beans Beans, the musical fruit,
the more you eat the more you toot,
the more you toot the better you feel,
so lets have beans for every meal.:rock2:

Jim, I run a lot of bar sizes, but other than for limbing, I think the most important size is a 20", then if I had to pick another I would go with a 28". Those two bar sizes can usually handle anything.

Not that I don't like a 36" for large wood + or stumping, or that the 24" is not right sometimes, but a 20 + 28 are good for most everything. Longer than 28" (I find) starts getting a little cumbersome to handle.
Thats exactly why I have the 20/32 for the 395. A 28 would probably be fine also, but I have had to use the 32 to drop big ash before and it was barely enough. Cutting on both sides of big felling cuts makes me nervous. Being able to get across with one good strait cut makes me feel better. I tend to cut really low to the ground so its hard to see through the cut to line stuff up once I have a cut started.

i used to watch my buddies dad EAT poison ivy leaves. he would work in ivy infested brush and trees and never got the rash.

I don't recommend that plan, unless they happen to taste good and you are already immune. If you are trying to become immune, as soon as you pick the leaves, you are going to come down with an ugly rash. That would be like trying to become immune to bee stings by going out & kicking the beehive.

I kinda think your friends dad was showboating for the kids.

I work in the stuff all the time. I can even string trim the plants wearing shorts, splattering juices all over my bare legs. Still, I have no temptation to try eating the plant.

I don't recommend that plan, unless they happen to taste good and you are already immune. If you are trying to become immune, as soon as you pick the leaves, you are going to come down with an ugly rash. That would be like trying to become immune to bee stings by going out & kicking the beehive.

I kinda think your friends dad was showboating for the kids.

I work in the stuff all the time. I can even string trim the plants wearing shorts, splattering juices all over my bare legs. Still, I have no temptation to try eating the plant.
My friend's grandpa did that to show off to her and her cousins....he was not immune and nearly died. Crabby old Swedish guy lol

I would have to agree Mike.

Back